Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

How do you roll.... :)

We are commuting back from Wi to Seattle and I realized that we have always RV'd our own way. As we never traveled in RV groups we sort of developed our own rules as we went.
Mostly we hang out locally but we take 2-3 trips from Seattle to Wi every year to hang out with family for a few weeks/ work on the farm.

SO....

Cruise speed is about 67
Driver wears a seatbelt and passenger does when seated up front occasionally.

Kids sit in car seats 90% of the time or play on the floor
We do hot swap drivers while in motion. (we slow down and the driver holds the wheel while the passenger slips in behind him/her.) I am sure I will get flamed for this but we always switch drivers every 2 + or - hours

We cook while underway and usually stop at truck stops to sleep as we can fuel, run the gen and access is easy in and out. We never stop the same place just a Flying J or Pilot when we feel like stopping. No all nighters anymore.

When we camp we obviously hook up but for travel we just pull up and close the curtains.

We do have a recreational cocktail while underway. (not the driver obviously)
We watch a lot of TV and use a Tmobile whole home internet for Netflix and etc...

Wife runs the house/food and stuffs everything where I can not find it. I run the operations my part does not always go smoothly.

Toad is a 83 f-250 and I pull the driveline. It sucks to do but the truck does not go in park anymore because the transfer case actually hopped into gear and took out park (and the old T-case)

New tires ever 5 years. Snow and ice do not bother us, Coach handles it very well. I have never had to pull a mountain pass in bad snow (no chains anyway). The detroit 6v92 is turned up from 350 to about 430 HP so I can go up the mountain passes faster than the speed up smell. Usually go down about 45 and let the Jakes hold it and people whiz by. (wish I had disc brakes and I would go faster)
Probably more but kinda curious about everyone elses style.

Been stranded in Billings twice BTW, Good Sam free towing saved us a 4k tow bill.

cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

Just be cool and take the safety course.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

I'll bite---------

HOT swap.........WHY?

Kids Playing on Floor..........WHY?

Ever had to do an emergency stop!
Slamming on brakes......Kids become projectiles
Evasive maneuvers cause of something happening in front of you
Tire blow out while Hot Swapping

We don't even let the dog run loose let along kids

Sorry but those 2 situations are just reckless and totally Unnecessary
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I'll bite---------

HOT swap.........WHY?

Kids Playing on Floor..........WHY?

We don't even let the dog run loose let along kids
HOT swap...in the middle of Montana with no traffic at 45mph, the odds on a tire blowing at that exact 5 second moment are pretty negligible.
When I was in the Marine Core that was the standard procedure on a 20 or 30 hour convoys. The whole convoy couldn't stop every time we changed drivers.

Kids playing on the floor...they can't stay in the car seats forever. Everyone needs a change of position. Again, in light traffic, easy roads only.
When I grew up, the driver was the driver, everyone else could do as they pleased.

You don't even let the dogs run? Do you have the dog car seat harnesses? Or are they small lap dogs? I am pretty risk-averse, but canine RV safety never occurred to me. Our dogs command a spot on the floorboard in front of the passenger seat and don't move. Sort of fun when you put the slide in.
Heck, I don't even stop to pee

I knew this would be controversial so I was honestly curious about other people's preferred style of RVing. Again, growing up it was a party bus-fruit loops on the floor every night in this joint.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrylife View Post
HOT swap...in the middle of Montana with no traffic at 45mph, the odds on a tire blowing at that exact 5 second moment are pretty negligible.
When I was in the Marine Core that was the standard procedure on a 20 or 30 hour convoys. The whole convoy couldn't stop every time we changed drivers.

Kids playing on the floor...they can't stay in the car seats forever. Everyone needs a change of position. Again, in light traffic, easy roads only.
When I grew up, the driver was the driver, everyone else could do as they pleased.

You don't even let the dogs run? Do you have the dog car seat harnesses? Or are they small lap dogs? I am pretty risk-averse, but canine RV safety never occurred to me. Our dogs command a spot on the floorboard in front of the passenger seat and don't move. Sort of fun when you put the slide in.
Heck, I don't even stop to pee

I knew this would be controversial so I was honestly curious about other people's preferred style of RVing. Again, growing up it was a party bus-fruit loops on the floor every night in this joint.
Cruise speed is about 67

we always switch drivers every 2 + or - hours

Marine Core

Dog...78# with tethered harness
Old 06-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
^^^^
Yep. I'm tracking ya.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Cruise speed is about 67 You can turn that off and reset it for 45, you know that right? Just poke the button till you slow down...

we always switch drivers every 2 + or - hours We don't always hot-swap but I got a blood clot a while back so I am not supposed to sit for more than 2 hrs.

Marine Core Autocorrect on corps

Dog...78# with tethered harness
I saw the Navy and figured yappy-type dog...
Old 06-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

SO pull over and get out and stretch....walk around

Swapping seats doesn't reduce blood clots

Old 06-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
SO pull over and get out and stretch....walk around

Swapping seats doesn't reduce blood clots

Ahhh, I get your confusion.

See I have an RV. You can walk around in it cause the house is attached and the motor is in the back.

I use pickups for the farm, not pulling huge loads up mountains.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:21 AM   #10

Pretty interesting. We hot swap also when we are together. We have an automatic Subaru and can't flat tow it. We also hot swap in the tractor trailer to keep from stopping. We leave our dogs loose also. I don't see a panic stop sending much flying because of the weight of the coach and only two braking axles. Beverage on the fly is ritual. Don't forget what we carry for self defense!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had some routing practices while working that I didn’t bring with me to retired RV life. One was to be two radios, on the cell phone, typing on and viewing an MDT, and looking at a map book or pre-plans, all while blasting through traffic code three.

In my reincarnated life as a Class A coach operator, I do not work on a laptop, text, look at paper maps, or use the phone while driving. I leave that stuff to the co-pilot.

I would lump hot-swaps in the “no-longer-necessary-and-not-worth-the-risk“ category. I do fiddle around with the gps a bit while under way....
Old 06-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #12

I don't know what bothers me more, the kids with no seat belts or the hot swap. I drove CDL trucks for 25 yrs and can do the miles behind the wheel but would NEVER consider letting a child ride unbuckled. Before the CDL life I was a deputy sheriff and I worked traffic. I worked a LOT of crashes. Ware the seat belts, it bad enough in a panic stop, much less it you really crash and the coach goes tumbling. I don't want to even think about that.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
I don't know what bothers me more, the kids with no seat belts or the hot swap.
I really find this interesting, my guess is many are not chiming in here but other than the pilot seat, I struggle to think of a coach I have ever been in that even has the seatbelts accessible. Maybe the #2 chair but in our coach, someone had removed both seatbelts so I put new chairs in that had integrated belts.

In our case, the hot-swap is not really that dramatic, I wouldn't do it at 55 or 65 mph or on curved roads or anything.

Does no one else do anything but sit there the whole time while driving?
How do you get new games in the x-box? How does the pizza get cooked? If we stopped every time someone had to pee it would be a looooonnng trip.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrylife View Post
I really find this interesting, my guess is many are not chiming in here but other than the pilot seat, I struggle to think of a coach I have ever been in that even has the seatbelts accessible. Maybe the #2 chair but in our coach, someone had removed both seatbelts so I put new chairs in that had integrated belts.

In our case, the hot-swap is not really that dramatic, I wouldn't do it at 55 or 65 mph or on curved roads or anything.

Does no one else do anything but sit there the whole time while driving?
How do you get new games in the x-box? How does the pizza get cooked? If we stopped every time someone had to pee it would be a looooonnng trip.
My Country Coach had seat belts on the sofa as well as the driver and passenger seat. My former Coachman Mirada (more of a family Class A) had seat belts EVERYWHERE, swivel seat, sofa and all four places at the dinette.

By the time I am ready to take a leak, it's time to stop. I at least like to get out and do a walk around the coach to see what's up and stretch my legs. The Bride doesn't drive the coach yet so no slip-seating. She will get up long enough for a bottle of water or junk to eat but that's it. Anything else, I just stop. I normally drive too far anyway. Can't break old habits.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote