RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Hurricane expansion tank?

My 2000 Intrigue w Hurricane Furnace is somehow not providing heat. It starts and run smoothly. Looks like a nice flame, best I can see with a mirror. No smoke. No fault lights on panel. Power and burner lights both green as they should.
Very little heat is being produced.
Temps are only in the 60s at the heat exchangers and it's only in the mid 30s here in central Texas
It's model CO45DFR.
Serviced in January, chamber cleaned, new nozzle, air pump and filters.

The green hose,coming out of the top of the furnace is only warm. This hose should be hot.
The water pump located in the bay is working but I somehow think this is a flow or lack of fluid issue.
As I am pretty sure this furnace doesn't heat the overall engine/block, so must be a check valve somewhere also as I do get heat from the heat exchangers while driving.

When looking for information on this system I found the ITR / Hurricane Operators Manual.
It states on page 24 under 3.20 Mounting the Expansion Tank.
The RV shop told me this system doesn't have an expansion tank.

So this leaves me with the question,do any of you have a system like this that doesn't have an expansion tank?
I you do,where is it located?

Also is there more than one water pump for this system?

Any help is appreciated

http://beaveramb.org/Data/PDF%20Manu..._manual_R4.pdf

Chamber cleaned, new nozzle, filters all changed/cleaned.

Grandad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

My Hurricane CO45XL system (now upgraded to an Oasis system, also by ITR) had an expansion tank. I think any of these systems that heat up coolant should have an expansion tank, just as our radiator does. Our expansion tank is mounted on the bay side wall just to the left of the Hurricane/Oasis unit.

I had (and still have) at least two pumps, one in the Hurricane and another in front, sort of under my dash but accessible from underneath my coach.

Have you pulled the fluid fill cap off of your Hurricane to see the coolant level? It should be pretty close to the top.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Our Hurricane does not have its own expansion tank, but shares one with engine - when you open the engine access door at the back, the metal box "coolant reservoir" right in front of you there it is.

There are 3 pumps for coolant circulation, including one dedicated for hurricane. Do you have your coach manual? Look up the schematics for more detail.

On ours the Hurricane works consistently and accurately with a large quantity of heat output whenever it's called for. Yours is definitely abnormal. If your shop couldn't get it resolved, you might need to call ITR and get the name of a factory trained technician in your area to work with.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

After posting, I called Hurricane again and got a fellow named Jim. He is very familiar with this unit as I understand it, he sold them for some time. My coach doesn't have an expansion tank and that solves the fluid level because the sight glass shows full.

I checked the air pump with a tire gauge and it was 20+air flow.
Removed the fuel line after the electronic fuel pump and got a steady stream with some pressure.
I will review for the schematics for additional pumps
CountryFit, when you are parked and just running your furnace, do you hear any of the other pumps running?
Isn't the pump located in the bay all that's needed to circulate just the furnace system when the unit was running? Only asking because up until a couple days ago, I knew much less than today about this but I still am a long way from knowing much.
This system doesn't heat the entire coach system (radiator, block) but only to the heat exchangers
Now when running the engine of course, the water get hot and the furnace doesn't need to run as the water is hot enough.
Please correct me if this is not right.
Anyway, after doing all the above, I may take your suggestion and get a certified hurricane tech have a crack at it.

Pretty bummed about it as I spent $$&$$ to have this repaired in Colorado just this January. Traveled home from there and not used the coach until this week. Just going over things before heading towards Nevada mid-march.
I have spent two days trying to figure this system out.
I sincerely appreciate your answers, thanks

Live & learn
Old 02-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
CountryFit, when you are parked and just running your furnace, do you hear any of the other pumps running?
No, I could only hear the sound from the fuel pump inside the furnace, and from the burner. I am not sure if I could hear the sound from the circulation pump in the furnace bay. Other 2 pumps are irrelevant to the furnace system.

Quote:
Isn't the pump located in the bay all that's needed to circulate just the furnace system when the unit was running?
Correct.

Quote:
This system doesn't heat the entire coach system (radiator, block) but only to the heat exchangers
Now when running the engine of course, the water get hot and the furnace doesn't need to run as the water is hot enough.
Not exactly. When only furnace is running, the majority of the coolant in movement is looping in "loop 1" to the heat exchangers under the fridge/galley/bedroom/dash in front of co-pilot chair; and a small portion of the coolant runs through the "loop 2" that heats up the dash heater and water heater to "lukewarm" degree. Of course it heats engine block as what "engine preheater" means.

You are correct - when engine is running, coolant gets hot, as only as you turn on the hydronic fans and select "Furnace" on t-stat, it will output heat to warm interior.

Hope you can nail it.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:37 PM   #6

Should have a little display upstairs. When it's running properly all you're going to have is a little red dot. If it's not running properly it should show any one of multiple error codes. What does it show? You should be able to feel the circulation pump or pumps running with your hand. If you open the control box you will find there are a number of fuses in there. Check all the fuses. One thing that seems weird is that if you're getting a good flame and the circulation pumps are not working I would think it would shut down from overheat after a while and should show a code upstairs on the display. If you don't have a display it should show the codes on the main control for downstairs near the furnace.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #7

I do feel the circulation pump working that's in the bay, beside the furnace.
No codes are showing.
Again I checked the air pump and it has 20+ pounds of pressure and checked the fuel after the electronic fuel pump and it is providing fuel.The flame is yellowish/orange as I believe it should be.
Just doesn't heat up the water.
I haven't disassembled it any further yet and of course it is the weekend so tech help isn't available until Monday.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #8

Could there be air in the water pump? Open the top of the tank when the unit is on and look for antifreeze flow.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad5 View Post
After posting, I called Hurricane again and got a fellow named Jim. He is very familiar with this unit as I understand it, he sold them for some time.
I'm betting you talked with Jim Rixen of Rixen's Enterprises; he was ITR's US disrtributor back in the day but hasn't handled them in a long time and, I found, doesn't seem real interested in dealing with Hurricanes any longer. I suggest you call ITR, the manufacturer, at their US facility in Vancouver, WA. Phone number is 1-800-993-4402. Their support guys are great and are very willing to provide trouble-shooting help over the phone. They can also work on units if you decide to head towards their facility.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ55 View Post
I'm betting you talked with Jim Rixen of Rixen's Enterprises; he was ITR's US disrtributor back in the day but hasn't handled them in a long time and, I found, doesn't seem real interested in dealing with Hurricanes any longer. I suggest you call ITR, the manufacturer, at their US facility in Vancouver, WA. Phone number is 1-800-993-4402. Their support guys are great and are very willing to provide trouble-shooting help over the phone. They can also work on units if you decide to head towards their facility.
Yes that's the fella. Seems nice enough but I'll give ITR a call, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Could there be air in the water pump? Open the top of the tank when the unit is on and look for antifreeze flow.
I have only taken the side off the furnace. Are you referring to a tank inside the furnace? The reservoir located on the left side of the engine compartment is full.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
TR4

My Hurricane heater is similar to the one CountryFit has. It shares coolant from the engine. I have three coolant circulating pumps. Two for the Hurricane (one in heater bay and one up front). One is for the dash heater (some refer to it as “school bus pump”). It takes about 15 minutes for the heater to warm up. The air coming out of the heat exchangers is warm, not hot.

Bill
Old 02-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad5 View Post
Yes that's the fella. Seems nice enough but I'll give ITR a call, thank you

I have only taken the side off the furnace. Are you referring to a tank inside the furnace? The reservoir located on the left side of the engine compartment is full.

I am not sure how yours is plumbed, but my tank is in the same bay as the boiler unit. If I open the top with the heater on, i can tell that there is movement of the liquid. Country Coach may have installed theirs differently than mine. But if the boiler flame is on, but the hose coming out of the boiler is not warm, then it would seem that there is a liquid flow issue. But, ITR are the experts, I am not.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #13

Have you checked the position of the summer/winter bypass valves?
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #14

Jim yes you should call ITR, they're very helpful. I am stumped. I don't understand how your burner is operating, your pump is operating yet the hose coming off the top of the Hurricane is not hot. The flame though should be a bright yellow, not orange.

Tags
hurricane, tank