Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 11:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRadtheNoMad View Post
I've done a quick search on these pumps but not sure which one I need. There appears to be some etched numbers on the back but I can't get a good view (pic) of it, so I will probably unhook and identify and order the replacement. One as cheap as $79 at NAPA, but not sure its the one I need...
Get that same Facet pump. Available at any NAPA. I bet it was the pump! Mine went last spring.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
While exploring my Hurricane heater which is original, old fuel pump, old air compressor and old single wire fuel shut off solenoid I came across several Tech bulletins from ITR. One was a change in fuel pump and wiring, another fuel pump orientation. I wish I knew the Facet model number now used by ITR.

A year or so ago I replaced my Lucas fuel pump [old British Daimler] with a Facet style and indeed there was a recommendation for orientation to have the inlet below the outlet to act as a check valve. At the time I purchased a spare Facet pump with a recommended max 12" suction draw, but delivery is only 1 - 4 psi for carburetor use. I see facet make a 36" suction draw good for up to 11 psi and wonder if that's what needed for the Hurricane heater.

I should note there are a heap of other Tech Bulletins for fuel solenoid, air compressor, photo diode etc.

This link shows many Facet pumps and their output.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...facetpumps.php
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tech Bulletin fuel-pump-orientation.pdf (490.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf Tech Bulletin model fuel pump.pdf (46.8 KB, 21 views)
2001 40 foot Country Coach Intrigue "Suite of Dreams" Build#11294.
Chevy Equinox toad
Ozzsp250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #31

Follow up found this info on Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/Facet-1024AMZ.../dp/B000P4Q5IW

Review:
5.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest one available and works just as expected
Reviewed in the United States on December 13, 2011Verified Purchase
I installed this in my ITR Hurricane hydronic heater on my boat as a replacement for the existing one that finally gave out after about 3000 hours of use. ITR sold this same unit for almost 3 times the price I got it for from Amazon and of course Amazon has a much better ordering process and shipping was fast. The unit works just as expected after running it for about 50 hours and I'm expecting it will give me another 3000+ hours. The lift from my tank is about 4 feet.
Chevy Equinox toad
Old 01-18-2022, 10:43 AM   #32

UPDATE

I pulled the Facet fuel pump and at the base (not the back) are the numbers 40 on one leg and 178 on the other. Facet pump 40-178. Ordered it from a automotive distributor and should have it in hand by Friday, at a third of the price that ITR wanted.. I'll post another update when I swap it out. Thanks to all for the overall focus on this issue of mine and I appreciate the time you spend on explaining all the possible solutions.
2001 Country Coach Magna #5954
Cat C10 Allison Transmission and Hurricane Heat
JRadtheNoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #33

Thanks Ozzsp250! The second bulletin deals with all CO models and in my situation, the "new" required aqua stat wiring has already been completed. I would not have known this but the Facet fuel pump is already in use and failed, so I'm hoping that replacing it, is the solution. I will re-verify this when I start the swap.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #34

JRadtheNoMad, Facet pump 40-178.

Thank you, that was what I needed to ascertain the correct pump.

Model 40178 12 volt; fuel pressure 3.5-2.0; 15 gph; 1/8-Npt; 36" lift; check valve; positive shutoff;

So having a check valve and positive shut off will make mounting it easier, I'll update my system and do the wiring change even though it should not be required.

Chevy Equinox toad
Old 01-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzsp250 View Post
While exploring my Hurricane heater which is original, old fuel pump, old air compressor and old single wire fuel shut off solenoid I came across several Tech bulletins from ITR. One was a change in fuel pump and wiring, another fuel pump orientation. I wish I knew the Facet model number now used by ITR.

A year or so ago I replaced my Lucas fuel pump [old British Daimler] with a Facet style and indeed there was a recommendation for orientation to have the inlet below the outlet to act as a check valve. At the time I purchased a spare Facet pump with a recommended max 12" suction draw, but delivery is only 1 - 4 psi for carburetor use. I see facet make a 36" suction draw good for up to 11 psi and wonder if that's what needed for the Hurricane heater.

I should note there are a heap of other Tech Bulletins for fuel solenoid, air compressor, photo diode etc.

This link shows many Facet pumps and their output.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...facetpumps.php
Do you have the part number, and a supplier for the single wire solenoid?
Old 01-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #36

The change per Tech bulletin goes from a single wire to a two wire solenoid. I have ordered a new 40178 fuel pump which should arrive over the next couple of days and I'll access the heater and get the part number of my existing solenoid and post it in a reply.

I had planned to add an extra wire from the body of my solenoid to the case of the heater to ensure a good ground for the solenoid existed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solenoid Change 1.pdf (144.8 KB, 21 views)
Chevy Equinox toad
Old 01-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #37

Hurricane Furnace

A little off-topic for this thread, but a heads-up to all Hurricane furnace owners:
In my previous CC, (36' 03 Allure, 30856) I chased all of the possible flame-out solutions and the final fix was changing the fuel lines to the Hurricane and also the generator while I was at it. Both units ran like a "champ" afterward. I found places along the fuel lines that crumbled in my hand when removing the rubber hose from the fittings on the tank. In hindsight, one might get away with splicing in a few feet of rubber fuel line from the tank, to where they (inlet and return-lines) enter the inside of the coach. It seams that where the fuel lines were exposed to the elements (at the tank) is where all the rubber deterioration took place. The entire generator fueline would need to be changed though because it's all exposed to the elements. Note that the generator lines are bigger in diameter than the Hurricane lines. I cut a large access hole in the forward wall inside the forward bay to gain adequate access to the tank. And, still needed extra-long needle-nose pliers (2'?) and socket extensions to reach the fittings. It can be done... Good luck. Larry
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #38

I purchased 12 volt fuel pump on Amazon. I spliced into 12 volt wire that supplies original fuel pump that way the new pump only comes on when heater is calling for fuel. I left original pump in system. No more error codes or flameouts in the last year.

Here is pump I ordered. Inline Fuel Pump 12v Electric Transfer Universal Low Pressure Gas Diesel Fuel Pump 2.5-4psi HEP-02A
lbfrombigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:38 PM   #39

UPDATE

Well the saga continues.... I replaced the fuel pump and started the system with no fuse blowing, (yeah!!) and it ran for about 30 seconds and then stopped and started again, only to shut down after 10 seconds. It's acting like it's starved for fuel...! Now I'm getting a new code, ign. flame out, (component failure or no fuel). It's dark now but I plan on pulling the nozzle assembly to verify that I have air/fuel mixture actually spraying. I looked at my new fuel filter and wondering how much fuel should be present? The way it is sitting, it does not appear to have enough fuel in it to adequately supply the unit (sitting less than half full and not covering the exit port, I see fuel coming in when the pump is running but not much) is this an example of possible air in the line? When I removed the fuel lines for the new pump, I had to cut the lines due to years of connection and they would not budge. Cleaned up the contacts and replaced the hose on the barbed connections, no leaks but wondering now about air getting in and not feeding the system like it should....
Old 01-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #40

You could have air in the line. Do you have a bleed screw to assist in bleeding off any air?
Old 01-20-2022, 10:35 PM   #41

Get a container of diesel and hook up your Hurricane directly to it right at the fuel filter. If it runs perfectly (and don't forget to adjust the bleeder valve) you probably have fuel line problems. On mine, the inline fuel filter is only about 1/3 full. That's normal. I did have a flame out issue a few years ago. Diagnosing it got complicated..It turned out to be a bad board. Mine had the original 2001 version board. Replaced it with the latest board which was about 4 generations newer and I've never had a problem since other than the fuel pump going. I've got almost 4,000 hours on mine.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #42

Cool Update - mission accomplished

Well, it only took three weeks and a lot of head scratching but we are up and running! I finally found a bad fuel line with some issues, once replaced, it's purring like a kitten. I believe it was a bad fuel pump in the end. Multiple blown fuses, and after swapping out the fuel pump and me muscling a fuel line so much that the old brittle fuel line cracked. I'll be spending some time in the very near future on changing old exposed fuel lines.

Happy and warm, and again thanks to all!

Tags
fuse, heat, heater, hurricane