RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #15

Bill -

When parked and using the heater, only the two booster pumps connected to the termination board function. This is due to the fact that the #245 conductor is isolated by diodes at the P+ and W terminals thus preventing current back-flow as the W terminal receives no power from the board and only serves as a through-point terminal for the #245 conductor when powered by the ignition source.

I think my solution will be to disconnect the #245 conductor at the ignition switch, feed that conductor to a relay, add a switch to the relay and run back to the ignition for power (source). I will then be able to toggle the pumps on and off at the drivers compartment as desired.

Rick
gary rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #16

Bill -

I have attached the CC drawings that describe the heater control termination board and single line drawing for the Hurricane Heater system. They might provide information for anyone interested...

scan.pdf

scan0001.pdf
Old 04-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #17
TR4

Rick,

Sounds like you've got it covered, I was also thinking they might be using diodes. Country Coach probably felt it was unnecessary to run the Hurricane pumps while driving and made a change in later years. Also, I know the water is circulating without the pumps, because the heat exchanger in the water heater keeps the water hot when driving.

Bill
Old 04-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #18

Bill -

Yes, I think this thread has been rode to the end of the trail, so to speak.

Thanks for your input. I might just post a thread about the switch installation and function, if it turns out to be a viable solution.

Regards, Rick.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #19
Community Moderator

rick,
i just checked those terminals while engine was running. W has 12v power (no wires at front), P+ has 0v (two wires are on it at front). circulation pump in heater bay was off.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #20

Country Fit -

Interesting. Is your terminal board wired in accordance with the drawing in included several posts earlier?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #21

I guess not if W has no conductors terminated to it. Does your system have the diodes in place? Where is #245 terminated?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jackson View Post
I guess not if W has no conductors terminated to it. Does your system have the diodes in place? Where is #245 terminated?
on P+ there is a diode but can't trace where it goes out to.
on W, nothing is connected.
don't see wire 245.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #23
TR4

Rick,

After reviewing your diagram I now see how your system is different from mine. I don't have any wires on the W terminal and no diodes.

And you thought you were at the end of the trail.

Bill
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #24

So, the saga continues.

I removed the cover to the Hurricane Heater control board and checked the terminal board with my multi meter to determine, once again, which terminals were powered by the board.

There are two W terminals adjacent the P+ terminal that are used with the unlimited hot water heater option, which our coach does not have (like most Country Coach Intrigues of this era, I suspect, our hot water is from any or all of three sources, engine and/or Hurricane Heater circulated glycol, electric or LPG).

The first W terminal is powered, the second is not, and this is the terminal that the 245 conductor is terminated to, supplying power (through diodes per CC drawing) to the booster pumps from the ignition switch.

I disconnected the #245 wire and ran the Hurricane Heater through a complete cycle and it performed flawlessly. Booster pumps came on as required, and cycled off once the cool down operation was completed. No other functions in the coach appear to be affected by the removal of the #245 wire from the W terminal, so I cut off the sp spade connector and installed a bell cap and simply left the #245 conductor uninstalled and loose in the control board box.

Now, when turning on the ignition or starting the coach, only the engine booster pump operates to circulate glycol through the system while under way and the other two Hurricane Heater pumps only activate when the heater is turned on via thermostat.

I do not yet know, but I suspect that there will be ample heat produced through the operation of the engine bay circulation pump when traveling in cooler climes. Since we reside in FL and travel mostly around the pacific coast and southwest during the summer and stay close to home in the winter, I am not sure I will ever know for sure how well it may work...

But I know for certain that the pumps will not run unnecessarily thus adding additional load to the chassis electrical system (alternator) and creating wear and tear on the pumps for no good reason.

Additionally, for now at least, I am abandoning the notion installing a switch on the #245 conductor at the ignition switch as the CC drawings suggest that there may be additional accessories on that same circuit, not the least of which is the air dryer, making the installation of a switch in the drivers compartment unnecessarily complicated.

So, for me...it's case closed.

Tags
heat, heater, hurricane