RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #1

Hurricane Heater Operation - again

Can anyone out there describe the proper function of the Hurricane Hydronic heater under normal operating conditions on a 2000 Intrigue?

For example, is it normal for the booster pumps to turn on with the ignition switch and run continuously even with no call for heat from a thermostat? Is this function intended to allow for the system glycol to circulate into the heat exchanger(s) during normal driving such that heat would be available without actually running the heater? Is it normal for the heater to go into cool down mode for 2 minutes when shutting down the engine, even if the heater has not been cycled? Has anyone placed a switch on the ignition wire (yellow wire # 245) to the Hurricane control board so that the circulation pumps can be manually operated, thus eliminating the continuous run function and reducing wear and tear on the pumps? Would doing so compromise the circulation of engine glycol in a manner that might be considered detrimental to proper engine cooling?

Generally speaking, after rebuilding the fuel pump, changing the fuel filter, cutting off the split end of the fuel supply hose, replacing the control board and fabricating a new exhaust pipe on the boiler (the original exhaust was bent over at a 45 degree angle after some sort of collision...possibly a rock strike) our heater works great. It now has a grand total of 109 hours on the system, but about 12 years of sitting with no use.

We have all of the manuals, but the Hurricane operating and installation manual is a little vague and does not address the specifics of the Country Coach installation/normal operation symptoms (sights and sounds). The Country Coach manuals are, of course, almost totally silent on hydronic heater operation and defer to the Hurricane manual.

All in all, a fairly simple system (if your idea of simple is, say, a Boeing 747) with a lot of moving parts!
gary rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

I own a 2000 Beaver Marquis and to the Left of my drivers seat is a control console with several switches. If I turn on the coach heat switch my Hurricane system will heat off the engine while driving so I can heat my coach bypassing the boiler. I have provided a pic middle switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	156547  
1doodadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I should have mentioned that the conditions described in the second paragraph of my original post occur while the main thermostat is in the off position and all of the Hurricane Heater controls are in the off position, as well.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I will suggest that you call here. They have been very helpful with my issues in the past. International Thermal Research/Hurricane Htr.
Kevin& Randy Baldwin
Work (800) 993-4402
Main Office (360) 993-4877
Other rbaldwin@itrheat.com
'04 42ft Country Coach Intrigue Ovation #11630
400 ISL, 2018 Acadia AWD Toad
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
TR4

Rick,

As I recall, when the furnace is turned on, the boiler and circulation pumps start. After the thermostat comes up to temperature, the boiler shuts off. The circulation pumps continue to run for a few minutes before they turn off. The circulation pumps do not run unless the heater is turned on. I believe the heat exchanger fans and the circulation pumps are somehow tied together.

I don't have a lot of information on the Hurricane heater, but wood imagine it has a control board that might be defective.

Bill
Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #6

Thanks, OD. I have spoken to ITR on multiple occasions, but it seems that each coach manufacturer may have added their own unique wiring to accommodate features not common to each and every coach and or boat with regard to booster pump operation.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #7

Bill -

Our coach has a yellow ignition wire (#245) terminated at the booster pump terminal that activates the pumps whenever the ignition switch is on. This is in accordance with the hurricane control board drawing provided by Country Coach in the owners documentation.

The cool down procedure begins when the ignition switch is turned off, then the combustion fan runs for two minutes to cool the combustion chamber in case the heater was actually on (I guess). The folks at Country Coach say this is the correct function of the heater with regard to both continuous booster pump operation and heater cool down, but I am remaining skeptical until I hear back from other experienced owners, like yourself and OD.

The heater works fine with the new control board that I purchased from ITR, I just found it odd that the booster pumps would continue to run without interruption when the ignition is on. That just seems like a lot of unnecessary wear and tear.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
TR4

Rick,

Just looked on my wiring diagram. My circulation pumps are connected to the P+
terminal on the Hurricane board. So the pumps are controlled by the board.

Are you sure your not talking about the OTR heater circulation pump? That pump runs all the time.

Nothing on the wiring diagram shows a connection from ignition to any part of the Hurricane system. Everything is off the domestic batteries.

Bill
Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #9

Rick everything you mentioned is normal. I think that the pumps do also run when the engine is or ignition is on. Yes you can turn the burner off run off engine heat while driving. Really cool works really well.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:24 AM   #10

Bill-

Our pumps are terminated at the P+ terminal(s) as well and are, in fact, controlled by the board when the heater is in operation, or while parked. The ignition wire only provides power whilst the coach is underway and/or when the ignition switch is on.

The OTR pump, located just forward of the engine, is also on the #245 circuit and, as you suggest, runs continuously. That means on our coach, at least, all three pumps run whenever the ignition switch is turned on.

I am beginning to come around to the notion that the pumps are operating as Country Coach intended, if not ITR...

I am also thinking that there are subtle refinements to the Hurricane Heater system introduced at year model changes that may serve to further complicate what we each recognize as 'normal' heater behavior, depending on year and model of our respective coaches.

As per normal, working on some of the coach systems (and this one in particular) can become a science project in pretty short order. The good news is, we now have a heater. The bad news is we live in Florida and rarely get to use it.

After re-reading that last paragraph, maybe I should have just said that the bad news is we live in Florida...and left it at that

Regards, Rick
Old 03-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #11

Rich -

Thanks for your response. I think I am coming around to the fact that the pumps are on with the ignition, and there is not much I can do about it.

I am thinking about adding a switch in line with the P+ terminal to facilitate manual operation, but only if that does not create coolant circulation issues.

Regards, Rick
Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
TR4

Rick,

I just confirmed that the two Hurricane circulation pumps do not run when the ignition is on. They only run when the system is being used.

I've also disconnected my OTR circulation pump and use that power source to run my Fass fuel pump. I still get plenty of heat up front.

I would think that if your ignition is powering your Hurricane pumps (running off chassis battery) and your Hurricane system (running off domestic batteries), it might be better to install the switch between the ignition and pumps.

I have also installed four gate valves on my OTR heating and Hurricane heating systems. In case of failure I can shut down all coolant in these two systems. I've run all summer with all four valves closed with no overheating problems.

Bill
Old 04-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #13

Bill -

I like the gate valve idea. I have added a couple (Apollo stainless steel ball valves) in the heater bay on the heater inlet and outlet (to facilitate heater removal), and am planning to isolate the pumps as well.

I am going to investigate a switch for the P+ terminal based on your experience running without pumps. I just need to figure out where to place the switch for easy access and convenience, preferably somewhere near the driver.

Regards, Rick.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #14
TR4

Rick,

If your system is like mine, you could pull the fuse for the circulation pump in the chassis fuse box. And if all the pumps are tied together, none of them will be on.

The part I don't understand is, when your parked and using the Hurricane heater, does the OTR pump also run? I say this because you've said all three pumps are on the same circuit.

You can PM me if you like.

Bill

Tags
heat, heater, hurricane