RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:21 PM   #15

As we all know, different years and models of CC - had different levels of the DynoMax chassis. And in some model years, with 'influence' from new CC owners (Think National ownership.) - a few years and models came with the Koni Adjustable SP1 shocks. Which Koni themselves recommended to CC was not going to be able to handle the IFS of the larger coaches. (And, IMO, they were correct. We both our 04 Allure used with just under 13K miles on it. During the test drive in an area of highway we knew well in the San Diego area - we proposed like Flipper used to do on the TV show.)

I researched, and at that time the Koni 88 series of FSD's as well as Koni Adjustable SP2's were the options from Koni. Talking with Justin at Koni, I agreed with his assessment tag the 88 Koni's were not going to be able to handle our 40' ISl - they'd have been overwhelmed.

After a bit more research, I went with the Road King's of that era, the 2 1/2" diameter all around.

As coach handling was important to me, I consider it a safety feature, I kept researching for other options. I went ahead and also added the Super Steer Motion Control Units (MCUs).

I did these changes in phases, and the drove the same stretch of S curve roadways I knew very well, to assess handling. And I did the shocks install drive one weekend, and then added the MCU's and did the same drive the next weekend.

The Road Kings did really improve the handling over the replaced Koni Adjustable SP1's. But with this better handling, came a stiffer more jarring ride.

The next weekend drive with the MCU's added, improve on the handling. The coach 'set' faster in the S curves. As the body weight shifted from one side to the other. But, the stiffness and jarring seemed to increase slight too...

Flash foward a few years and I'm talking with Source Engineering about adding their Wax Valve solution instead of replacing the Fan Control Module. The conversation of handling came up. I explained what I had added, and Source Engineering explained that their Air Check Valves were a different design then Super Steers MCU's. (MCU's 'checked the air flow in the lines' in both directions. Source Engineerings only 'checked/restricted' the flow in one direction. This one direction only approach still allowed faster 'setting' of the suspension in curves and other emergency or shifting wind suspension testing situations - but at the same time, it did not add to the stiffness/jarring or the roadways transfers.

So I feel the shift to Source Engineering was Air Check Comfort Valves were a benefit to our ride.

Opinions will vary, but that's my assessment.
Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my case, due to my experience with handling improvement on the Freightliner chassis (non tag), I expected more change when I installed the Supersteer MCU's on the Allure. However, I did not experience a similar change. I do think they helped a bit with cornering on freeway ramps, but not to the level I had with the Freightliner. I attribute that to the fact that the Allure with tag already handled so much better than my previous DP, even without the MCU's. However, no regrets adding them.

I do think I may move to the Koni EVO99 shocks on the front. I did replace the sorry KONI FSD's when we first go the coach with KONI SP3 adjustable and they helped a lot. However, on our last long trip I experienced more bouncing in the front end that I'd like and I think the SP3's are still not enough for the weight of this coach. I do have one last click on the SP3 adjustment so I may try that before changing.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #17

HWH Active Air for an Affinity or Magna

I had Jim at Source install their air valves today. Jim recommended I only put them on the front bags as I have a tag axle coach.

I have only driven from Eugene to Junction City so I don't feel I have enough experience to provide much of a comment on the valves. I will however say, chatting with Jim was great, I feel he has a lot of experience with coach suspensions.

More to come as I will be travelling 4-500 miles over the next few days.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #18

Going to try and visit Source on Tuesday or Wednesday this week.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
Please post what you learn about the Source Engineering Air Control system. I went on their web site and it indeed looks very interesting. Also would be interested in who would be installing this. Thank you.

Looks very dimple to install.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #20

Mike you are right with your thinking about simple. It took Jim and his fellow mechanic less than 45 minutes to drive the coach into the bay, block it so it wouldn't fall on them, install both valves, remove the blocking, charge the air system, test for leaks and back the coach out.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #21

2-Nickles & Wally - Looking forward to your experiences with the SE units.

For sure, the changes of shocks and adding 'air check valves' makes a difference on how a chassis behaves on the roadway. I did have a conversation while in Taos with a fellow CC owner (Intrigue 40'), and he was disappointed that new Koni SP3 had not made a more noticeable improvement in his handling. The more we talked, the more I got the impression that he felt he should be able to go 'carve some canyon routes' with his coach. I shared an opinion that even the Full Monty addition of Active Air - was not going to turn any 40' DP into a go cart feel.

I explained the changes I'd made, and the opinion that each change was incremental, and in my case complementary to each other - building to an improvement in handling.

-Tire Pressure set for four corner weight of rig (He'd never had his coach weighed, and was running with the placard 120PSI).
-Shocks
-Source Engineering 'air check valves' (Comfort Control Valves)

All of these complimented each other, as well as made a difference in how our coach rode. (I've driven the same route going out to Borrego Springs from San Diego area. Know the road very well, and know how the coach handled in certain stretches of S curves.) Four Corner weight and tire PSI is a given to me, so did not run the stretch after doing this with the then new Michelin XZE*'s added and PSI's set. I did adjust the Steers Koni SP1 to the highest setting and drove it, notice a bit of improvement, but the front was still overwhelming these shocks. Road Kings were added in the 6 positions, and this made the coach 'set' or become 're-composed' as the weight shifted left to right, and then right to left, going thru the stretch of S curves. A bit later, I added the Super Steer air check valves Motion Control Unit. Drove it again, and again felt the coach had incrementally improved on 'setting' faster. Ran like this for several years, then went ahead and had the MCU's replaced with the Source Engineering Comfort Control Valves. Again, an incremental improvement in handling.

And it is not just handling in curves. Shifting cross winds can test the handling of a coach. No question our coach is more composed and easier to drive, in these conditions then when we first bought it.

The key here is 'incremental', where the changes are 'additive and complement' each other.

Sure, I'd really like the TRW Comfort Steer like system (Almost bought a used Howard Steering System, but after a bit of research, determined it was not compatible with the Neway IFS.). And I'd also enjoy someday driving a coach with Active Air (Or the equivalent.). But the chances of me talking the DW into a shift from 'Her Coach, and Her Galley' - is pretty slim!

=====

Hope both of you, and others who make suspension changes, are pleased with he results. The gent I was talking to in Taos, would not be. He feels that he should be able to get in and drive his coach, the same way he drives his mentioned Z1 Corvette - that just is not reality...

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My rig can already do the lift and lower with the standard HWH system I have. It also has the auto leveling built in and no jacks.
I put the Koni EVO shocks on last year about this time so I guess it's the Source Engineering air control next. Will talk with them at the NW FMCA rally next week.
Talked with the people from Source Engineering. Not sure if I'll add them as the person I talked to was pretty adamant that I only had two air bags on the drive axle and all the documentation says I have four plus two on the tag.. Didn't instill much confidence in them. Asked about the WAX valve too, but I didn't go much further into it while there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

-Tire Pressure set for four corner weight of rig (He'd never had his coach weighed, and was running with the placard 120PSI).
-Shocks
-Source Engineering 'air check valves' (Comfort Control Valves)

Smitty
That pressure setting is what my owners manual calls for and what I run.
Quote:
Tire Inflation
Country Coach recommends that the cold tire inflation pressures should at all times be maintained at the inflation pressure(s) recorded on the Federal Tire Label. There are no acceptable circumstances where tire inflation pressure(s) should be reduced below that pressure recorded on the Federal Tire Label.
The KONI EVO 99 shocks on the front axle did make a noticeable difference in my rig over the adjustables that were on it when we bought it.
Haven't tried the Comfort Control valves yet and after talking with the people from Source Engineering at the NW Regional FMCA rally I'm not sure I want to spend the $$
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #24

I have now driven 400+ miles with the Comfort Control Valves installed. At lower speeds I would say I feel the most difference. The ride I now have over railway tracks and rough roads is better and the porpoising is greatly reduced. At highway speeds on smooth roads I would say there is no difference, on rough roads there is a small improvement. Overall the spend for these valves is an incremental improvement and I have no regrets.

On the shock front I have RoadKing all the way around so I can't see making any changes.

The best part of getting these valves installed was getting a chance to meet and chat with Jim @ Source. He was able to answer my question about the coach feeling like it kneels and explained how IFS works vs the Straight Axle I had on my Monaco. It now makes sense, what a wealth of information.

I'm now thinking I will leave things alone and enjoy this ride for a while.

Cheers, Curtis Nikel (2-Nickels)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #25

Was the Jim you talked to at the Coburg location?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #26

Source has moved from Coburg to Eugene while their new building is built. Jim shared the RV dealer he use to rent space from asked him to move as they wanted the space. I do believe this is the Jim you asked about.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
Source has moved from Coburg to Eugene while their new building is built. Jim shared the RV dealer he use to rent space from asked him to move as they wanted the space. I do believe this is the Jim you asked about.
Scott Zimmer is the gent I talked with from Source Engineering as I was researching. Patient, with spot on an knowledgable input to me.

Met Jim when I went to their shop they shared to have the Comfort Control and Wax Valve installed. Scott popped in before all was done, and we had another good conversation about suspensions in general.

Sure not trying to knock Jim in anyway. But since Scott was the one that answered all of my questions, and I felt so well, that is who I would call and talk with. Mr D. - Might be worth a call to talk things over with Scott, to see if you get a better feel.

And I do understand that sometimes we all get to a point where we say 'This works well for me, I'm leaving it alone!'. For example, my older generation Road Kings really supported me well as far as handling, which was what I was after - even at the price of a possible less comfortable ride. I joke with my DW (Though oddly, she does not smile as often as she used to while joking with her!), that I always justify the expenses on changes to our coach, over a expected amortization of costs over 10 or so years of usage. (Now, that '10 years' has been moving forward each of the last ~7 years we've had this coach - and she finally 'clicked' on my amortization line... as she said that really means we have 3 or so years left on my newer purchases... So, working on a new strategy on coach upgrade discussions with my DW!!). This came up as I was buying the EVO-99's, to see if they provided the same control as the RK's, and might make a difference in front end ride comfort.

But you know, she buys new shoes - and still has shoes in her closets that have not even warn out yet. What's up with that, those funds could have gone towards coach upgrades!! (Though, contrary to some opinions - I am smart enough to not bring that point up with her...).

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 07-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #28

Happy wife, happy life......

Tags
hwh