Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
HWH Active Air for an Affinity or Magna

Has anyone installed the HWH Active Air on their coach? If you have what were you looking to improve? Did it improve as you hoped? What are the drawbacks?
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #2

The drawbacks as far as I can see is the $$$$$$$$$
Old 06-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I checked into it a couple weeks ago. $9,600 + tax and a week at HWH for my Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #4

I too have looked at the price and they want a lot for this system. This shared I would like to know what the benefit is for our type of coaches.

I find I get some diving in the front when going into turns at reasonable highway speeds. On long sweeping turns I get a bit more body roll than I am used to. My old coach had 10 air bags and didn't roll as much.

What I have been reading thus far I see having a sufficient supply of air is critical but everyone believe it makes a big difference. I am very pleased with the ride and due to my weight I don't ever notice a passing truck.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
IMO, before spending $$$$ on Active Air, I would replace the front shocks with Road Kings or Koni EVO. Then get a set on the motion control valves for the air bags from Source Engineering. Those should minimize bounce and body roll.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion Glen, I am already riding on Road King shocks but don't have the Comfort Control valves. i will reach out to Source this week and discuss the benefits further and get a price. I will be in Eugene in a few weeks so I will also find out if I can get them installed.

Cheers, 2-Nickels
Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Glen, I am already riding on Road King shocks but don't have the Comfort Control valves. i will reach out to Source this week and discuss the benefits further and get a price. I will be in Eugene in a few weeks so I will also find out if I can get them installed.

Cheers, 2-Nickels
I had excellent results from Henderson Super Steer MCU's on a previous DP with a Freightliner chassis. So, I had CC install Henderson MCU's on my Allure. My Allure handles very well.

The valves from Source Engineering were not available when I had the Supersteer valves installed but I understand the Source Engineering valves may work a bit better.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
Commercial Member

i would agree with you guys about making all the improvements you can to your coach before going to active air. yes the price tag is between 6 and 10 thousand when all said and done. look at the hwh website and review the active air pages.
i have driven an 89 beaver without and with active air. its the difference between a family sedan and a sports car for handling. but thats not all active air includes. you can custom design the system to do whatever you want within reason.
this is as close as im going to go toward doing a commercial for hwh.
my purpose for being on this forum is to help diagnose hwh problems, not sell product. please excuse me if anyone feels im trolling. i dont mean to do that. ive just driven a coach with active air and i really liked it. this is my opinion. thats all.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
The HWH on my coach cost $9400, but that was several years ago.

No drawbacks at all. I'm about to hit 109,000 and no issues.

Besides the stability, you also have some useful control. If I get up to an area where clearance is an issue, I can lift or lower the coach.

I also like getting to the campground and hitting the Auto Air button rather than messing with jacks. And, before you ask, the coach is stable on air level. Another advantage to air level is that I don't have to worry about sticking jacks into soft dirt or mud.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #10

I would have Eric at CC in JC do an alignment. He will check your ride height, active response on your valves, and front sway bar bushings.
He takes his time and does a very complete check of your suspension.
The ride of your coach is mostly influenced by your ride height, and the response on your valves.
I have very little lean when cornering, but I played with my right height, and found the front being just a little higher than what the specs call for helped out greatly. But I would discuss that with Eric first before doing so.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
The HWH on my coach cost $9400, but that was several years ago.

No drawbacks at all. I'm about to hit 109,000 and no issues.

Besides the stability, you also have some useful control. If I get up to an area where clearance is an issue, I can lift or lower the coach.

I also like getting to the campground and hitting the Auto Air button rather than messing with jacks. And, before you ask, the coach is stable on air level. Another advantage to air level is that I don't have to worry about sticking jacks into soft dirt or mud.
My rig can already do the lift and lower with the standard HWH system I have. It also has the auto leveling built in and no jacks.
I put the Koni EVO shocks on last year about this time so I guess it's the Source Engineering air control next. Will talk with them at the NW FMCA rally next week.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My rig can already do the lift and lower with the standard HWH system I have. It also has the auto leveling built in and no jacks.
I put the Koni EVO shocks on last year about this time so I guess it's the Source Engineering air control next. Will talk with them at the NW FMCA rally next week.
Some don't. Mine did not have the standard HWH on it, it had (and still has) jacks.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #13

Please post what you learn about the Source Engineering Air Control system. I went on their web site and it indeed looks very interesting. Also would be interested in who would be installing this. Thank you.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #14

I chatted with Jim from Source today, he provided me with a quote for the valves and I thought the cost was very reasonable at under $600 installed. I have booked for mid July and look forward to giving this a try. I will post later in July how they perform.

Tags
hwh