RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

HWH air level

When parked, my CC intrigue levels out with an automatic HWH air bag system. After its sits for about 24 hours or so, I noticed lately that the rear air bags are randomly settling downward slightly. Sometimes you can hear one of them making a noise (not air) but no settling is noticeable at first because it is very slight.

Do I need to take these into a specialty shop to assess? Or is there a DIY adjustment somewhere?

I noticed while driving that the rear airbags show a reading somewhere between 100-125 pounds of air, while the front are always at 125.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You probably have a leak in the rear air system. I had a similar problem resulting from a crack in the air line. These tubes are probably hard plastic. They are mainly in the rear but may run forward too and even up to the instrument panel if the gauge is there. You need to listen for the hiss when it is very quiet. If you are over 40 yrs old you might want to get someone younger to do it. there are sprays that can be sprayed onto the lines to bubble up on the leak. Bubble stuff or 50/50 Dawn dishwash liquid works too. Look near fittings and sharp bends. Also examine the air bags.

Don't let this go too long. This system may operate the emergency brakes or your suspension and could pose a danger. Get it looked at if you must.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Commercial Member

bubble test the rear manifold also. the seat of the valves on the manifold tend to become corroded. if its not too bad, use 4 ought steel wool to clean the surface..
as said, dont wait too long. its better to fix it in the driveway as opposed to the roadside.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

"I noticed while driving that the rear airbags show a reading somewhere between 100-125 pounds of air, while the front are always at 125.[/QUOTE]"

I believe you are looking at the main air system and not bag pressure. On my '99 Allure and on most other air bag systems I'm familiar with the air pressure in the bags will typically run around a low of maybe 20# and up to 40# or so to fill it up. I had an issue with my DS rear bag for awhile so I added a pressure gauge on mine so I could watch it. It would run in the low 20's and eventually I found a bad ride height valve in the back causing the problem.

Not sure this helps you initial problem but just some added info IMO.

Good luck on finding and resolving your problem.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #5

My 1993 Magna was leaking where the solenoids thread into the valve manifold. Clean it well and replace the o-rings that seal the base of each solenoid.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Hey Ironwood,

My suspension system is inflating the left front airbag way too high under TRAVEL MODE. I have replaced the front RIDE HEIGHT LEVELING VALVE. I have pressed the HWH RESET button multiple times. I have attempted to operate the motorhome after manually leveling the airbags but it automatically switches to TRAVEL MODE and then over-inflates the front left airbag.

I suspect that the issue may be the 6 pack solenoids. What do you think?

1. Where can I get the proper solenoids?
2. Could the issue be that I need new front airbags?
3. Could the problem be with the HWH computer.
BigALBigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #7

Could you have a stuck Solenoid on the hwh system? they are simple to take apart and check. Just a safety note about getting under the coach when working on it. Drive it up on 6x6 blocks. If coach drops down when you are under it the coach can certainly crush you. Also jack stands aren't strong enough. Be safe.

What model of hwh do you have? I have trouble shooting info for the 500 series as that's what our coach has. Do you know model?

I will include the manual for the 500 series as they may be same or similar. Read through as it will give you a good idea of how they work even though your coach may not have this model system. Look up your system model number and let us know.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #8

I had a problem attaching.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH 500 troubleshooting mauual.pdf (435.5 KB, 4 views)
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Commercial Member

if its over inflating the air bag in the travel mode, you still have a ride height problem, or air supply, to that one air bag.
the hwh system , in the travel mode, allows air to pass thru, thats all. hwh does not control air pressure by psi, to the ride height valves, or the air bags, when in travel mode.
even on coaches with three ride height valves, thats true.
are you sure the other side is inflating at all? just asking.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:22 AM   #10

Yes then the hwh is in travel mode the air passes through the unit. I had the same problem and we had a valve adjusted incorrectly. I enclosed the info for reference to understand how the hwh works. I also thought if a solenoid was sticking it could cause a problem, but, I don't think in travel mode it would matter.

Our problem was that we installed a new air leveling valve and you need to take off the parking break to supply air to the leveling system. this is where we had a learning curve as that is not customary to road trucks.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Hey AZ Pete,

That's a great question: "Are you sure the other side is inflating at all".

The right airbag seems to be inflating. It gets hard to the touch and it holds under manual LEVEL operations. If the right airbag was not inflating fully I could see how air could overinflate the opposite airbag.

(The situation is so bad that not only did the windshield break/crack, but the entire windshield popped out of it's normal seat.)

I had a engineering student over this morning, though not an expert on air suspension systems, he believes that one of the PRESSURE CONTROL SWITCHES located at the FRONT AIR MANIFOLD, could be the problem.
BigALBigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #12

Just went through a manifold upgrade that didnít go as planned. Had technician call HWH (Randy ). Got it corrected.

I suggest pulling the service manuals from your series and start there. Not the owners manual, the service ones. On HWH website.

Mine was the main pressure switch into the drive manifold. ( replaced leaking tag manifold and never dreamed we had a problem in another manifold )

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Tom
Old 05-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2003 Monaco Camelot would settle overnight. Since we live just 45 minutes from HWH, I took it there. They fixed it quickly and relatively inexpensively. Very nice people. They used soapy water on the valve manifolds and replaced a handful of o-rings. It wasn't rocket science. We never had another problem. Good luck.

Skidaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, hwh