Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
HWH Auto-Level issues

Last night we pulled into our parking spot. The left side low indicator (yellow light) was on when I turned on the HWH. As usual, I dumped all the air in the bags to get the coach lower to the ground and also it helps it be more stable as folks move around within. Again, the driver's side was low (yellow light), but it leveled when I hit the level button twice.

With the engine on, it levels just fine. Then this AM, the yellow driver side light is on and I can't get that side to go up...manually or auto level.

So, I've never messed with the air compressor in the bay under the driver seat - how do I determine if that is working?

Thanks in advance~
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #2

The HWH panel is "awake" and responding? If you hit emergency stop you will need to turn on ignition to power up the HWH again.

What is your air pressure in main/secondary tank (dash gauges). This is an indirect indication of auxiliary/levelling system air pressure.

On just ignition (not main engine running) pressing raise or level should engage the compressor under the drivers seat in front run Bay.

Hope this helps get you started....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #3

Were you on a rough road before pulling in to your spot? Sometimes I will get the unlevel light if I had been on a nasty road. I will rock the coach back and forth, left to right and that usually will cure the problem. I think the lever sensor gets a little mixed up sometimes. Also, I do not dump air firts, I just pull in, shut down the motor and hit the level button twice.

What happens if you come to ride height, shut the motor down and then level while at ride height?
Old 06-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
What is your air pressure in main/secondary tank (dash gauges). This is an indirect indication of auxiliary/levelling system air pressure.
The dash PSI reads "0" (zero).

Turned Key on (did not start) and hit the up arrow on the HWH panel (drivers side) and did not hear the compressor nor did the coach come up on that side.

I also checked the fuse...it is good.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
What happens if you come to ride height, shut the motor down, and then level while at ride height?
Don, it works just fine with the engine running regardless if I'm at ride height or have dumped the air.

I just started the engine and waited for the air to come up to pressure (115 psi) and then hit the auto level and it works just great. Seems that there is an air leak somewhere...I'll watch the air psi on the dash for the next few hours.

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #6

You can hear the electric compressor running with the engine off. In my experience the electric compressor is only big enough to maintain level. Engine compressor is required to level if there is a lot of leveling to do.

The electric compressor is controlled from a relay on the HWH control board - you should be able to troubleshoot that far - be sure it's getting power.

It takes a long time to get a call back (two weeks) but HWH tech support is very helpful once you get them on the phone.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #7

You guys are great...thanks so much.

Seems I have a bigger problem. In 1.5 hours, it has gone from 117psi down below 90. So, I have a leak.

However, it seems that the compressor is not coming on to level the system. Is there a fuse I'm missing? Where is the fuse to the HWH system? How best to determine if it is getting power?

Again, thanks to everyone!
Old 06-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #8

I think the parking brake has to be set. Sorry, I usually go for the easy one
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
You guys are great...thanks so much.

Seems I have a bigger problem. In 1.5 hours, it has gone from 117psi down below 90. So, I have a leak.

However, it seems that the compressor is not coming on to level the system. Is there a fuse I'm missing? Where is the fuse to the HWH system? How best to determine if it is getting power?

Again, thanks to everyone!
John, this is probably too obvious, but I'll throw it out there just in case... but the leveling compressor will only run if you leave the HWH system on (top left red light lit. When that light is on then the system will check level about every 30 minutes and either release air or run the electric compressor as needed. I'm sure there is a fuse for it listed in the CC manual, let me know if you want me to look mine up. It's probably in that front bay under the driver seat.

Also, it sounds like you have more than one leak. One or more affecting the tanks and one or more affecting how air is retained in your air bags (the six pack solenoids are supposed to keep the bags aired up even if the tanks become depleted).

Also, FWIW, I don't dump air when I'm leveling either. I think our system works better, and feels more stable, when I just level, with the engine running, from travel height once we've parked.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #10

Dave, yes, the HWH red light (level) is on solid, so it is powered up. I'll just hit level next time without dumping the bags.

One other thing, this AM, the coach remained level - so I guess the system is working? I still have not heard the electric air compressor power on.

@BrianGlenn mentioned watching the air psi gauge on the dash. I started the coach yesterday AM, waited for the engine compressor to fill the system (117 psi), and when we went to bed last night, it read zero. I'm hoping that the airbag system for leveling is separate from the engine air (brakes) system. Should the air system (dash gauge) retain air over a few days?

Yesterday we made an appt. with a shop (in SC that is HWH certified) to have the airbags changed and the air system reviewed. I pray they are qualified and not just certified.

One last detail, when we were traveling to our current parking spot, the coach felt "mushy" on the curves, and on one specific curve, I nearly lost control. I wonder if there is a serious "airbag" issue going on here....

Thanks~
Old 06-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #11

There is a check valve between the systems. And there are two air systems. This is why there are two needles on the gauge. The air for the brakes being depleted should not affect the suspension. Nor should the air for the suspension system being depleted affect the brakes. You definitely have a leak that affects both systems. My systems, for example retain air for weeks while parked with HWH turned off. Air systems have many fittings, switches, valves, etc. and can easily develop leaks. Many trucks will leak down to zero in an hour or less. So the fact you lose air overnight might be annoying, but may not be serious. Although I would attempt to address that. (As a matter of fact those of us who have Commercial Drivers Licenses can demonstrate that the brake system does not leak too fast.)

The air bags are a totally separate issue and ride concerns are usually addressed by adjusting ride height. If ride height is low, the ride will be soft. You definitely need to find a shop that knows air systems in general and HWH systems in particular. Most shops can find air leaks but very few will understand the HWH system as the two are intertwined.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Dave, yes, the HWH red light (level) is on solid, so it is powered up. I'll just hit level next time without dumping the bags.

One other thing, this AM, the coach remained level - so I guess the system is working? I still have not heard the electric air compressor power on.

@BrianGlenn mentioned watching the air psi gauge on the dash. I started the coach yesterday AM, waited for the engine compressor to fill the system (117 psi), and when we went to bed last night, it read zero. I'm hoping that the airbag system for leveling is separate from the engine air (brakes) system. Should the air system (dash gauge) retain air over a few days?

Yesterday we made an appt. with a shop (in SC that is HWH certified) to have the airbags changed and the air system reviewed. I pray they are qualified and not just certified.

One last detail, when we were traveling to our current parking spot, the coach felt "mushy" on the curves, and on one specific curve, I nearly lost control. I wonder if there is a serious "airbag" issue going on here....

Thanks~
John, the compressor won't go on if your system doesn't need to re-level. For a while we were losing all of the air in our two tanks within a couple of days, but we would never lose level and the electric compressor would not go on (nor did it need to). That meant our leveling solenoids were holding appropriate air in our bags to keep us level -- for two to three weeks -- while our air tanks were empty, with no brakes until we aired back up.

Now our tanks are back to holding air for two to three weeks. That's what a lot of owners experience, although as Fredward mentioned the DOT standard is a lot lower. We found leaking fittings on our tanks and replaced those. We also found leaking fittings when we replaced our air bags. I've also been doing a better job of purging our system of moisture at least monthly, after a tech at Olstrom Custom Coach said it was important and helpful to do that regularly (as stipulated in the Country Coach manual).

Good luck on your air bag replacement. Since you're apparently holding level when parked, I'm betting, though, that the mushiness you felt was not a bag problem. I'm no expert, but from what I've read here it sounds like it's more likely to be a ride height valve problem; it's not unusual for them to need replacing when they get as old as our coaches are.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ55 View Post
it sounds like it's more likely to be a ride height valve problem; it's not unusual for them to need replacing when they get as old as our coaches are.
Dave, you have me excited. The coach is not riding right...it seems to "over-sway" as you corner. I deemed it "mushy". I thought it may be the airbags.

If in fact, it is the ride height valve, should I have some of those on hand (along with the 4 airbags you gave me numbers for) when I take the coach in for repairs? They are 2 hours away and they are so backed up I'm thinking that if they have all the parts it may expedite things.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Dave, you have me excited. The coach is not riding right...it seems to "over-sway" as you corner. I deemed it "mushy". I thought it may be the airbags.

If in fact, it is the ride height valve, should I have some of those on hand (along with the 4 airbags you gave me numbers for) when I take the coach in for repairs? They are 2 hours away and they are so backed up I'm thinking that if they have all the parts it may expedite things.
John, it's not a bad idea to have a couple of ride height valves on hand; I carry two spares with us at all times. I can look at the part numbers later today if you need them. Mushy handling can also be caused by things like broken end links on anti-sway bars, etc., your shop should inspect everything. But, yeah, it would be good to carry a couple of the valves.

Tags
hwh