Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

HWH Slide Puking Oil

I was about to pull in my slides and noticed a puddle of oil underneath a bedroom slide. The puddle was outside the coach and dripping down from the center of the slide, just above my rear wheels, and running down the mud flap between the drive and tag tires. The bedroom slide is an HWH hydraulic scissor slide. The two interior scissors are on either side of the slide and their cylinders and hoses look perfectly dry. I don't see the equalizing cylinder but I'm pretty sure that there is one. I do see a removable panel in a wheel well that is just above the drive/tag wheels. Does anyone have experience with finding and accessing the equalization cylinder on such a setup?
BonS is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bon:
I have no idea but I'm going to follow this!

I'm going to HWH in late April to have the Active Air installed then have them go over the slide alignment and function.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

Mr_D, I haven't said anything but I"ll be at HWH on November 26th for an AA install. They're only one state away for me and I took a hole in their schedule for this month. I can have them assist with the repair of the slide but it's a separate activity from the AA install and will, no doubt, prolong my stay there in beautiful Moscow, IA.

I hear that the cylinders are an easy rebuild as it's only an O-ring, but I have to find and get to it first!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I could have gotten in earlier too but I wanted to wait till after Jan 15th for my annuity payment to be deposited although I easily have enough in one of my checking accounts. It's a 2000 mile trip one way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

I had a hydraulic line break on our coach just 3 days after taking delivery. Aside from it being a mess (cat litter absorbed the oil) it required a new line (hose) be installed from beneath the drivers corner (pump location) to the passenger slide rear slide motor. In my case the hose had been patched (spliced) by the previous owner and you should never splice these hoses due to both the pressure and size (very small diameter).

I was just at HWH for my AA install. If I was going to have hydraulic repairs done I think I would get an appointment for the Friday before to get the repairs done, this way if they need the coach for another day they could finish it on the AA rack. Also when they are done the AA you want to drive it vs watch it.

Good luck, HWH is a business with wonderful people.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #6

I had one break around the fuel tank area, was rubbing on a sharp object. All the lines have a part number on them for easy ordering from HWH
Luther Wikle
2006 affinity 6600
lwikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
Mr_D, I haven't said anything but I"ll be at HWH on November 26th for an AA install. They're only one state away for me and I took a hole in their schedule for this month. I can have them assist with the repair of the slide but it's a separate activity from the AA install and will, no doubt, prolong my stay there in beautiful Moscow, IA.

I hear that the cylinders are an easy rebuild as it's only an O-ring, but I have to find and get to it first!
Had the same problem with a previous coach years ago (2006 CC Intrigue). The sync cyl is behind the RR tag. Remove tag and take off the access panel. Mine was a line, but the sync cylinder was stripped out too. I guess it was put together loose and the constant in and out of the line pressure caused the threads of the cylinder to strip. The o-ring kept if from spewing fluid out. Had to replace the cyl. and line. Give HWH the number of the line (it's on a tag on the line) and they can supply it.
Have Fun!!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
I was about to pull in my slides and noticed a puddle of oil underneath a bedroom slide. The puddle was outside the coach and dripping down from the center of the slide, just above my rear wheels, and running down the mud flap between the drive and tag tires. The bedroom slide is an HWH hydraulic scissor slide. The two interior scissors are on either side of the slide and their cylinders and hoses look perfectly dry. I don't see the equalizing cylinder but I'm pretty sure that there is one. I do see a removable panel in a wheel well that is just above the drive/tag wheels. Does anyone have experience with finding and accessing the equalization cylinder on such a setup?
I know this is kind of late probably but I just went through this same situation on my Affinity. There is an access panel above the tag like you mentioned in your post, remove the panel and you will find the equalizing cylinder with several hoses attached to it and maybe a rupture hose. That is what I had on mine on my last trip in November 2018. What a pain, mine ruptured and the slide extended out on it's own while traveling through Oklahoma City during rush hour, what an interesting experience. Anyway I was able to get it retracted once I found an empty parking lot. (Condensed version of the situation.) My hydraulic hose was ruptured at a fitting and I had some hydraulic hose repair ends in my coach that I got from a local hydraulic hose repair shop we use at my business.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #9

Thanks so much for the info. Life in general has had its way with me this past fall so I wasn't able to get to HWH to get my Active Air system installed OR my slide repaired. My coach is snuggled away in the Kansas City underground caves for the winter and will get its maintenance this spring. Your info is very helpful and I look forward to fixing it or getting it fixed. What a mess. Oil all over the tag and body behind. Luckily I was able to get the slide in. And I won't be extending it until all is repaired.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #10

You are welcome, I hope your life improves what everyone you are dealing with. I have been overwhelmed with life and health issues the past couple of years myself.
I understand what you are dealing with when it comes to coach problems. Mine has definitely given me my fair share. I had to remove the access panel on mine in the middle of a parking lot to open the lines to bleed the pressure off so I could winch mine in. I tried the pressure relief on the pump but it would not allow the slide to come in until I cracked open the lines. ‘This is the second trip I had to dea with this issue. Getting good at tearing into and diagnosing problems. Last summer I had the same issue in Big Sky, MT and it caused my pump to go out. I ended up buying a dump trailer remote pump and splice in to my system to get my slides retracted. Boy what hassle. I sometimes don’t know if I am blessed with the ability to fix things or cursed with all these problems. I guess it depends on when I am asked. When I am broke down or when I get it resolved and fixed.
Well Bon I hope it gets better for you. If I had the time and we were a few hours closer Iwould be happy to take a look at yours. You can PM me with pictures and questions if you you would like some help.

Tags
hwh, slide