Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Hydraulic Fan Control

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to electrically turn off the hydraulic radiator fan on my Cummins ISX engine. The problem is that when the fan runs, even at a slow speed, it kicks up a cloud of dust in camp grounds. Even when the engine is not at temerature the fan still runs intermittently at slow speed and works good at operating temperature down the road. To my knowledge, it still retains the original fan control unit.

I would like to be able to overide the fan control when idling thru camp grounds. Is there an input to the controller that I can put on a switch to keep the fan from running. Any suggestions would be appreciated by the poor people I dusted this past weekend at The Suwannee River Rendezvous camp ground.
Popsf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Yes you can. When you apply 12v to the control leads, the fan will stop. On the other hand, if you cut off the power it'll blow like crazy.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #3

Some owner's have spliced in a switch to the fused FCU wires in the front driver's side bay. Fed the wires up into the cockpit, and toggle off the FCU power feed. CountryFit/Steven nailed it not he nuances involved!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins uses a Sauer Danfoss electronic controller to control the hydraulic fan speed. Detroit Diesel and others use a mechanical (wax valve) fan controller.

Many of us have replaced the Sauer Danfoss electronic fan controller with a mechanical wax valve. Usually, the electronic fan control only lasts 5 years or less. When it fails the hydraulic fan runs wide open by default and kicks up clouds of dust. It also reduces fuel mileage as its running the hydraulic pump at full load.

These threads have details on how to troubleshoot the system and how to replace it with a mechanical controller.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fan...en-376611.html
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sid...nt-148331.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Yes you can. When you apply 12v to the control leads, the fan will stop. On the other hand, if you cut off the power it'll blow like crazy.

I was aware if the “cut power and fan runs high”. I was not aware “add 12V and the fan stops”. Can you elaborate or provide more detail on which wire to “add 12V?”

Does this apply to non ECM controlled (older 2 pin and 6 pin, sensor controlled) and a newer 3 pin ECM controlled FDC?

My understanding is there is 12V there already, cutting it just forces all hydraulic flow through the hydraulic motor - no bypass. To stop the fan all hydraulic fluid would need to be pushed to the bypass. Possibly I need a bit more education on the internal workings of the fan drive controller.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I was aware if the “cut power and fan runs high”. I was not aware “add 12V and the fan stops”. Can you elaborate or provide more detail on which wire to “add 12V?”

Does this apply to non ECM controlled (older 2 pin and 6 pin, sensor controlled) and a newer 3 pin ECM controlled FDC?

My understanding is there is 12V there already, cutting it just forces all hydraulic flow through the hydraulic motor - no bypass. To stop the fan all hydraulic fluid would need to be pushed to the bypass. Possibly I need a bit more education on the internal workings of the fan drive controller.

Brian
Ron (ronsue74) wrote it up pretty good sometime ago. His mod was on an older Sauer Danfoss, mine was. Not sure if it applies to later model years with more pins.

The red wire paired with the brown is the control line. Applying 12v or 0v will make the valve shut or wide open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sauer danfoss.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	377447  
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Ron (ronsue74) wrote it up pretty good sometime ago. His mod was on an older Sauer Danfoss, mine was. Not sure if it applies to later model years with more pins.

The red wire paired with the brown is the control line. Applying 12v or 0v will make the valve shut or wide open.
Thank you!

I suspect I am out of luck with the newer 3 pin ECM controlled. It is PWM signal from the ECM. Will have to do some research.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
Old 09-28-2022, 09:28 PM   #8

CC 2005 Magna C13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsf15 View Post
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to electrically turn off the hydraulic radiator fan on my Cummins ISX engine. The problem is that when the fan runs, even at a slow speed, it kicks up a cloud of dust in camp grounds. Even when the engine is not at temerature the fan still runs intermittently at slow speed and works good at operating temperature down the road. To my knowledge, it still retains the original fan control unit.

I would like to be able to overide the fan control when idling thru camp grounds. Is there an input to the controller that I can put on a switch to keep the fan from running. Any suggestions would be appreciated by the poor people I dusted this past weekend at The Suwannee River Rendezvous camp ground.

I have the same problem as you. I think I will go with the Source Engineering Wax valve change it over and be done with it.
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Thank you!

I suspect I am out of luck with the newer 3 pin ECM controlled. It is PWM signal from the ECM. Will have to do some research.

Brian

Briian - Tony Innarelli modified his 2008 Allure with a wireless remote switch and had a write up on the CC FB page. Says it works like a charm. I think I'll add one to mine as it runs full speed on start up at times even with AC off.

Tony owns a lot in the same resort as me in Florida and when I see him in November I'll ask him to help me tackle the project. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ed

ELeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
TTD

Yes, I have the 3 pin ecm controlled unit also... It is not the saur danfoss.

However, I cannot shut it completely... Only high and low. But low speed does not kick up dust. Are you sure yours is on low when the dust kicks uo?
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #11
TTD

Couldn't edit above post from phone...

Anyway, just wanted to add that with our controllers, I understand it that the ecm is supposed to send 0v, 5v, or 12v. (high, medium, low speed)

Mine wasn't working, so I added a remote control switch that sends either 0v or 12v. I monitor temps in silverleaf and press button accordingly.

Note that unless it's over 100 degrees or I am climbing steep mountains... I just leave it on low speed.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:00 PM   #12
TTD

Here's a photo of the unit.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:02 PM   #13
TTD

Tried to add a photo, but didn't work. Search Fushionsea 12v Remote control switch.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Tried to add a photo, but didn't work. Search Fushionsea 12v Remote control switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5202.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	378102

From your post.

Brian

Tags
fan, hydraulic