RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:05 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Hydraulic filter and oil specifications

The power steering gear howls, screeches, swish-y, noisy when turning at slow speed. I have been advised here on the forum that I should change the hydraulic filters. I have searched the manual where i was told the description of the filters would be without success. I hate to start the job by pulling them out to determine their IDs. It is a 2005 630 magna C13. Also, I find no specification for the fluid which i would like to change along with the filter.
I bought the coach at RvOne in Tampa FL. and drove it home to Arkansas just last week. It didn't have many service records in it. I think because they don't want the previous owners to be identified (privacy issues). It is wonderful, immaculately maintained, but I must fix this troublesome noise.
Thanks

wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #2

Without documented receipts of maintenance history. Might be a good idea to assume it's time to do a full yearly LOF. Pull sample analysis of the fluids for the start of a new baseline with you. And most shops that can handle a full cycle of maintenance for you, will also be able to change those filters. I personally would not change the hydraulic fluid, unless theirs signs of contamination. Change the filters, and top off the fluid. And see if that helps on the noise. If it does not, then good signs of an opportunity to dive a bit deeper into the system to determine the problem. And other's with your model coach may have better recommendations then what I just suggested!

And now that the sell is done. Ask the place you bought the coach, if they would send your contact info to the previous owner. Asking them to contact you so you can ask questions. Most former owner's, would not mind info sharing on the coach. (At least the gent I bought my coach from, off of consignment at Holland Motorhomes was helpful to me...) Worth a try!!

Enjoy your new coach,
Smitty

Old 02-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #3

If it's like my Magna, it uses three Nelson 84101B paper filters. It takes Dexron 3 ATF would you won't find but as long as it's a Dexron 3 compatible it will work fine. On my Magna, the hydraulic reservoir is just to the right of the engine bay access door. It's a big black can that has a black plastic knob that you unscrew which is the dipstick.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
It's a big black can that has a black plastic knob that you unscrew which is the dipstick.

My dipstick simply pulls out - if I turn it it "unscrews" the dipstick part from the knob. Drops down into the can. Ask me how I know.
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
My dipstick simply pulls out - if I turn it it "unscrews" the dipstick part from the knob. Drops down into the can. Ask me how I know.

Add me to the dropped dipstick club. Luckily I haven't joined the dropped spring or wingnut club
Old 02-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #6

Haven't joined the club yet, but now I'm going to take a close look at that dipstick!

Tags
cat, hydraulic