Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hydraulic fluid filter change question

I want to change the hydraulic fluid filter. My Allure has the square fluid reservoir with a large, spin on filter mounted outside the reservoir. My owners manual only lists a CC part # which I cannot cross reference to any filter vendor.

Has anyone changed this particular filter themselves? If so, do you have a filter #? Also, how much fluid should I plan to capture when I remove the filter? Finally, do you need to pre fill the new filter with Dexron or install it dry?

Happy New Year to everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

I haven't got a clue but have you looked for a number on the filter? You might give CC a call and ask them. You'll probably have to pay for the information but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
I haven't got a clue but have you looked for a number on the filter? You might give CC a call and ask them. You'll probably have to pay for the information but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
No numbers on the filter.... they seem to have been worn off which suggests to me the filter is original. Kevin Waite is working on getting a number for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
No numbers on the filter.... they seem to have been worn off which suggests to me the filter is original. Kevin Waite is working on getting a number for me.
Glad to hear they are helping you out. But I hope they don't tell you to go to his sister Helen.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Follow up: If anyone has the same hydraulic filter set up as is on my coach here is the number for the filter if you ever need it:

Wix 51849
NAPA FIL1849

These numbers cross reference to Baldwin and Hastings if you use those brands.

It is pricey... Napa wants $120 for theirs but I got the Wix from O'Reilly's for $98. The Napa filter is Wix, hence the similar numbers.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi guys, I'm in the same boat with my Monaco hydraulic system. I just bought it and want to work through fluid changes on the entire coach.

I have a new filter but not sure of the the general procedures are for draining, refilling, and purging a hydraulic system.

I know my reservoir feeds the radiator fan, slides, and genny slide.

I have neve flushed a hydraulic system before but I know when I take the filter off my entire reservoir will drain (as the filter is below the tank).

Any thoughts on how you guys handle your coaches?

I did post this in the monaco forum but not much traction.

- Jonathon
jonohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #7

The process is fairly simple. If you want to dump the entire hydraulic system place a suitable pan under the drain point, in your case the filter, then loosen filter and you should get fluid. You can also loosen the line at the pump to drain the rest of the system. Install new filter and refill. If you want to replace filter with fluid in place remove fill cap and place a shopvac over holding tightly creating a vacuum. You still get a splash of fluid but not much. This process also works well for coolant filters.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

This may be to much to ask but I'll ask anyway. If any of you guys are mechanically inclined enough to cut open that filter after you change it and have a looky to see how much stuff is trapped in the filter we sure would like to hear from you. It would just be interesting to know if the filter really does need changing or not.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave 430
Gary,
Although we have the same year and I believe the same engine, I can't believe we have different hydraulic filter types.. mine looks like this..

Mine took 3 separate filters when they changed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	64261  
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Gary,
Although we have the same year and I believe the same engine, I can't believe we have different hydraulic filter types.. mine looks like this..

Mine took 3 separate filters when they changed it.
I'm with you Dave. I have never seen a square hydraulic fluid reservoir but then again I haven't seen everything. The 3 filters in the one shown in your pictures cost about 10 bux apiece.

How about a picture of your square one smlranger?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave 430
Dons2346... Whew..$10 a piece...I had mine done at "Colton Truck Repair" (not wanting to mess with getting oil everywhere) they put in Wix filters at $35 each and I saw them on Amazon for $39...I found them cheaper also. But usually in the $25 range. I have not seen a square filters on my coach either.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The one in my SIG is square too. I'm not sure how there could be filters in mine.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'll cut my filter open when change it and post pics. It may take me a couple weeks to get to it though.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Dons2346... Whew..$10 a piece...I had mine done at "Colton Truck Repair" (not wanting to mess with getting oil everywhere) they put in Wix filters at $35 each and I saw them on Amazon for $39...I found them cheaper also. But usually in the $25 range. I have not seen a square filters on my coach either.
Colton Truck is where I took the coach when we lived in SoCA. They do good work but are a little expensive on parts. For instance they wanted $750 for a fan controller that you can find elsewhere for $550. Old Steve said he needed to make some money thus the high markup. Even with that, I'd still take the coach there.

Changing the filters is no big deal. Just remove the top and unscrew the wing nut and reach down into the oil and pull the filters out. By the time they need replacing, they are usually stuck together so you only have to reach once.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid