RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Hydronics attached to Hot water heater? have picture link help... thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/caVHZZF28FgB9Ewi6

Edit--atwood model gch10a-3e-- this is the model number for this hot water heater if it helps i am looking at the manual now.

Ok I replaced the house cold water connector because old one was leaking.

Well I see a cold in hot in.. and then 2 green hoses which from what I read are hydronic hoses. So does this hot water heater use my hydronics to heat the water? If so does it only work when it is running heating the house? If it works anytime how do I get it to work? I have turned on my hydronics but the house was to warm to heat and nothing happened. We have used the hydronics to heat a lot and love it. But I read here that hydronics never heat your water. Well it looks like that my system does.

Please help. I am wondering how this whole thing works. Also if I ever need to replace the hot water heater where to I buy a hot water heater with the built in hydronic in and out like you see in the picture (green hose). I have been burning up the internet looking for one and the only ones I see are marine and they heat the water in the hydronic unit not putting hot fluid thru the water heater like it looks like mine is doing.

Thanks again this is alot of stuff and hydronics seem to have so many questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201127_163026949.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	309531  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my Horizon the heat exchanger is plumbed to the engine. I have hot water when I arrive at the CG.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Community Moderator

We have the same water heater, and the hydronic heater, but reckon that our coach is one year older and one level lower than yours...

The green hoses (2) you mentioned are coolant hoses in and out of the water heater (you should see a pair of PEX hoses for water in and out as well). When Hydronic heater is running, it heats up coolant flowing through the heat exchangers, water heater and the engine to finish the loops. As only as the coolant is hot and circulating, either heated/driven by engine or hydronic, your water heater should get hot or warm.

After 30 minutes of hydronic heater running, touch the green hoses. If they are cold, check the circulating pumps - one is at under the dash, another is attached to one of the center rails at a forward position to the engine.

If both the green hoses are hot but you don't get hot water (the output water PEX hose isn't hot or merely warm), you might need to do a maintenance - dissolving the thick layer of calcium on the heating coil inside the water heater.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I can see the cold water into the water heater and the hot water out. There is one connection that I can't make out.
Anyway, the green hoses are hot coolant hoses with the coolant being heated by either the engine or the Hurricane heater. On the back of the water heater tank is a pipe, about 8" long that is welded to the exterior of the tank and this is where the green hoses are attached for heat transfer. The pipe does not enter the water tank so there is no way for fresh water to be contaminated with coolant.
I recently replaced my "motor aid" water heater and found the best price at

https://www.etrailer.com/ The motoraid heater is almost 2x the price of a regular water heater
Old 11-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #5

Thanks all for the info. I found the new model online and yeah like $900. When the hydronics kicked on tonight I checked the hoses and yes they are hot. So its like a dumb heater... it heats water only when driving and when the heat is on. I can handle that. Is there any way to turn on the hydronics but not have it heat the house just the water?
Old 11-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvAfterlife View Post
Thanks all for the info. I found the new model online and yeah like $900. When the hydronics kicked on tonight I checked the hoses and yes they are hot. So its like a dumb heater... it heats water only when driving and when the heat is on. I can handle that. Is there any way to turn on the hydronics but not have it heat the house just the water?
There are two things here -
(1) You said you get hot water when engine is running and dash heat on, that proves that your WH is working. Considering the fact that the green hoses near the WH do get hot, that tells me that it lacks coolant circulation. The coolant pump near the engine is supposed to do so, it runs full time when engine is on, but it doesn't run when just the hydronic runs. I bet you do get lukewarm water, it's normal.

(2) The main purpose of the hydronic heater is to heat the house, warm water is just a side benefit. If you don't want to heat the house but just the water, well, you do have a switch for water heater on the panel above the entrance, don't you? That is what's supposed to do.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Here is the 10 gal water heater that will replace yours, only $812 at eTrailer. I think they also have free shipping. This is what I replaced mine with

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Water-He...d/AT94023.html
Old 11-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
There are two things here -
(1) You said you get hot water when engine is running and dash heat on, that proves that your WH is working. Considering the fact that the green hoses near the WH do get hot, that tells me that it lacks coolant circulation. The coolant pump near the engine is supposed to do so, it runs full time when engine is on, but it doesn't run when just the hydronic runs. I bet you do get lukewarm water, it's normal.

(2) The main purpose of the hydronic heater is to heat the house, warm water is just a side benefit. If you don't want to heat the house but just the water, well, you do have a switch for water heater on the panel above the entrance, don't you? That is what's supposed to do.

No water heater above the door. Only a engine block heater switch.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
No water heater above the door. Only a engine block heater switch.
Find the rocker switch with label "Water Heater" on a control panel somewhere.

This is how ours looks like -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201128_181030.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	309631  
Old 11-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Find the rocker switch with label "Water Heater" on a control panel somewhere.

This is how ours looks like -
In my 2002 Affinity ( should be similar to a 2001 Magna) the propane switch for the HWH is above the Washer/dryer in a small cabinet along with overhead and rope light switch, and Newheat floor thermostat. It is not marked ( it might say Atwood) but has a monetary red light that comes on when activated, or stays on when faulty. There is no switch for electric HWH except the breaker. I can post a pic tomorrow if needed.

Also the hydronic heating will only heat the water when the engine is running or the Hurricane is running. Heating in a car is similar it heats the heating system with coolant even when you are not using the car heater, but once the coolant is up to temperature it is there when you decide to turn the heater on. Once the coolant has cooled down, it is not.

I never run the propane while traveling and always have plenty of hot water in rout and when I arrive. I then plug in and use electric HWH or propane as the situation dictates.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2011 Subaru Outback Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
In my 2002 Affinity ( should be similar to a 2001 Magna) the propane switch for the HWH is above the Washer/dryer in a small cabinet along with overhead and rope light switch, and Newheat floor thermostat. It is not marked ( it might say Atwood) but has a monetary red light that comes on when activated, or stays on when faulty. There is no switch for electric HWH except the breaker. I can post a pic tomorrow if needed.

Also the hydronic heating will only heat the water when the engine is running or the Hurricane is running. Heating in a car is similar it heats the heating system with coolant even when you are not using the car heater, but once the coolant is up to temperature it is there when you decide to turn the heater on. Once the coolant has cooled down, it is not.

I never run the propane while traveling and always have plenty of hot water in rout and when I arrive. I then plug in and use electric HWH or propane as the situation dictates.
Thanks knew about the propane on off but the propane does not work. And well I never put much into it working. When I did the inspection before buying I saw the entire propane assembly is done for. I dinged the previous owners for the price of what I thought a replacement might be... was off some. I am in for a rebuild of the propane parts or just a straight replacement.

We are trying to choose whether to replace the unit with a matching one. Or switch it to a propane insta hot system. We could just couple the 2 green hydronic hoses together and take it out of the water heating loop if we did. But we are not sure. We would love to use the hydronics for hot water since we do not use propane for cooking then we could look at removing the propane tank and turn it into another battery bay and try and get our amp hours up in the 900 to 1k range.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #12

Everyone uses there coach differently but if my HWH went bad, I would replace it itís what I have now. Love the hot water when traveling, propane when power is scarce, and electric when full hook ups. I know some people rave about unlimited hot water systems, but I do not recall ever running out, even with several showers in a row. $900 is not cheep but over 20 years thatís less then $50 a year.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2011 Subaru Outback Toad
Old 11-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
Everyone uses there coach differently but if my HWH went bad, I would replace it itís what I have now. Love the hot water when traveling, propane when power is scarce, and electric when full hook ups. I know some people rave about unlimited hot water systems, but I do not recall ever running out, even with several showers in a row. $900 is not cheep but over 20 years thatís less then $50 a year.
We have been trying to find a way to lose the propane. We have over 800wats of solar right now and I can only fit in 600amp of lithium batteries right now... now if I could take out the propane and put in more batteries I would be super happy.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #14

Quote:
We have been trying to find a way to lose the propane. We have over 800wats of solar right now and I can only fit in 600amp of lithium batteries right now... now if I could take out the propane and put in more batteries I would be super happy.
Most all electric coaches have an Aqua hot for heat and hot water. It is always on for hot water, the Hurricane does not work that way, it only heats the water through the HWH when you have heat turned on. If you always have 50 amp power or can run the Gen you could lose the propane. Never heard of anyone running HWH on solar/battery, seems like to high a power draw. We like having the propane option for cooking, grill, fire pit, HWH, and fridge when needed. As I said everyone uses their coach differently.

Tags
heat, heater, hot water, water, water heater