Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #1

I just pulled the trigger....

....on an Intrigue Ovation 42' tag (one more thing off the bucket list!)

We expect to close within 10 days, and pick it up within several weeks, so a trip to WI is in the works.

Does anybody have a link to the 2003/2004 Intrigue brochure, or spec sheet?

Any odd or strange things about these coaches that I should know about?

Is the tag function fully automatic (up when Reverse, down when Drive, up when N)?

Here is the new addition to our family, and we're excited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	101739   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	101740  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

Congrats. Tonya will send a brochure for free. The build sheet will cost you $25.00.

Tonya Buendia
Sales Support
Country Coach Corporation
P.O. Box 575
Junction City, OR 97448

Office: (541) 234-2167
Fax: (541) 234-2189

tonyab@countrycoach.com
Country Coach Corporation - Motorhome Factory, Service Center, RV Parts
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

thanks, Mike
Old 08-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

Another congrats!!!

You might also find Damon Rapozo's model history of interest:

Model History | Damon Rapozo

The 42' is a great compromise length between still under 45 and mandatory special driving licenses for some states, and the extra 2' over the 40', gets you back another half bay of storage.

As I recall, these came normally with the ISL, but also had a CAT option. Which engined is in yours? If ISL, call Cummins with our SN to find out if it was the CAPS era, or VGT era ISL (Cutover year, our's is the CAPS. Would have preferred the VGT.) If CAT, also a cutover year, could be the C12 (A great mature CAT engine) or the C13, which adds a bit more HP but I think the Torque is the same as the C12(?).)

You just went thru the process of inspecting this coach to buy. But if you find anything missing in the documented service history (Key word here is 'documented'. Not documented, don't trust that it happened!) that is due, suggest you get this all caught up before you head out.

One often missed item, is that the hoses used for some of the fuel feeds tot he generator and the Aqua/Hydro Hot, were designed for pre ULSD fuel. Over the years, these hoses can get pin hole leaks, and leaking fuel is never goo! We had our feeds to bothers, replaced with Gates Barricade fuel lines, which were designed to handle the new ULSD fuels. Might want to add that into our preventative maintenance.

Also, if not yet replaced, coolant hoses are getting up their in age. We elected to have ours changed out on our time and schedule, as opposed to on the road at some unknown quality repair facility.

You might also check to see if our transmission is running on Transyn or not. Our 04 Allure, built Sept of 2003, was not. From what I can tell, 2004 was a cutover year to when they left CC with Transyn in them. Some have it, some did not.

Oh, and while I'm helping you possibly spend some more money! If you do change the radiator hoses, it's a good time to change over to a OAT based coolant, or similar. We went with Peak Final Charge, as it is prevalent in most large truck stops. This, along with a dummy Water Filter, means never needing to worry about SCA levels again.

Oh, on our Allure's Tag, their is a manual switch in the command center to the left. On ours, it's right above the transmission button. So driver decides when to turn on. If going I think over 10, or maybe it's 15 MPH, it is supposed to automatically go back down. I never tested this, as I always turn it off manually.

Mostly, CONGRATS!!! And do enjoy that fine coach!
Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

Smitty, you just spent 30 minutes graciously providing me with years of knowledge, so thanks!

The coach goes into a truck shop this week so they can do a PPI, oil analysis, etc. If it all looks proper, then maybe a good idea about the hoses and belts.

Yes, I've bought this sight unseen (I know, I know) but I think that the seller isn't the kind of person to keep something around that isn't working perfectly. We'll see soon enough.

I'll have the shop check for those items that you listed, and see if the Cummins 400 is the VGT. If the oil analysis comes back clean, then up-dating the hoses and belts will be worth doing.

More to come next week.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats. You are going to love your CC, especially when you drive it .

I would also suggest having the air dryer serviced if you do not have documentation that it has been done.

Roger Berke has a great website RV Hydronic Heater forum that you can join for the absolute best info and help on the Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot system.

Another great source for technical assistance (and for CC - specific parts) is Kevin Waite of K&M Mobile RV service in Junction City, OR. Kevin is a former CC builder/tech and, along with his BIL Butch Williams (another former CC builder/tech), provided a tech support for a fee. The fee is paid annually if you subscribe to it. I have saved more than the fees by avoiding paying others to do troubleshooting and repairs I could do myself with their excellent phone and email support.

Kevin Waite: 541.953.6162

kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com
Old 08-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Congrats. You are going to love your CC, especially when you drive it .

I would also suggest having the air dryer serviced if you do not have documentation that it has been done.

Roger Berke has a great website RV Hydronic Heater forum that you can join for the absolute best info and help on the Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot system.

Another great source for technical assistance (and for CC - specific parts) is Kevin Waite of K&M Mobile RV service in Junction City, OR. Kevin is a former CC builder/tech and, along with his BIL Butch Williams (another former CC builder/tech), provided a tech support for a fee. The fee is paid annually if you subscribe to it. I have saved more than the fees by avoiding paying others to do troubleshooting and repairs I could do myself with their excellent phone and email support.

Kevin Waite: 541.953.6162

kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com
X's 2 on the Air Cartridge. And X's 2 on Kevin and Butch!

And thanks for the nice comment form my suggestions. Most of this is from the things I learned here, and on the CC Yahoo User Group - where on both forums, everyone is so friendly and gracious on sharing their 'school of hard knocks'. And I admit, that a few of my inputs were from this school to!

Hope all check out good for you, and that you have a gem!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #8

gotta ask.....what is an Air Dryer, and where is it found?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #9

It removes the moisture from the compressed air. Also should have a purge switch. I purge mine at the start and end every day when in use.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #10

OK, the Mandalay had the purge, so never knew a dryer existed up-stream of that.

Every day? Wow, I did it twice a year (fall and spring). How would we know if that wasn't enough?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #11

My owners manual says to purge at end of day. It probably does nothing to do it again in the morning but I do.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #12

Well, heck, maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but several events have occurred that have me thinking that there's something up with the seller.

He was supposed to drop the coach off for a PPI inspection on Friday, didn't happen. Then it was Monday morning. Instead, he went to the shop today and told them that he wanted them to come to his house to see the coach. OK, he has a nice set-up from satellite photos, but why do that? It's 4 miles....

When he learned that I wanted the techs to drive the coach for 20 miles in order to evaluate the drive train and instruments, he balked, bigtime. Told me that he thought I was being presumptuous to think that anybody besides him or me would drive it. WTH? I suggested that all vehicles are driven around by service people in order to....well, we'll see.
NOTE: He bought it last Dec, drove to AZ, drove home and parked it. The entry step sticks (is inop) so my radar is up about normal R&M...hence, the strong interest in having a shop look at it.

The service shop won't be getting to go to his house until Wed at the earliest. I smell a rat if he doesn't want the coach leaving his property, then doesn't want the techs to drive it.

Can somebody tell me that this isn't strange behavior? OH, he also stated that the closing date and all money needs to change hands irrespective of whether an inspection is completed or not.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Well, heck, maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but several events have occurred that have me thinking that there's something up with the seller.

He was supposed to drop the coach off for a PPI inspection on Friday, didn't happen. Then it was Monday morning. Instead, he went to the shop today and told them that he wanted them to come to his house to see the coach. OK, he has a nice set-up from satellite photos, but why do that? It's 4 miles....

When he learned that I wanted the techs to drive the coach for 20 miles in order to evaluate the drive train and instruments, he balked, bigtime. Told me that he thought I was being presumptuous to think that anybody besides him or me would drive it. WTH? I suggested that all vehicles are driven around by service people in order to....well, we'll see.
NOTE: He bought it last Dec, drove to AZ, drove home and parked it. The entry step sticks (is inop) so my radar is up about normal R&M...hence, the strong interest in having a shop look at it.

The service shop won't be getting to go to his house until Wed at the earliest. I smell a rat if he doesn't want the coach leaving his property, then doesn't want the techs to drive it.

Can somebody tell me that this isn't strange behavior? OH, he also stated that the closing date and all money needs to change hands irrespective of whether an inspection is completed or not.

He has way too many demands. A successful transaction requires a willing buyer and a willing seller. Keep your billfold in your pocket.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would never buy a coach that I could not personally inspect and drive before any money changes hands. I might pay a mechanic to evaluate and render an opinion but I would still have to see it, smell it, drive it.

IMO, I'd walk away from this deal unless I could see and drive the coach first. After buying three of these things, I've learned that there is too much at stake.

There are others out there.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led