Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
"If you want something done, you'd better do it yourself".

Whoever spoke those words must have been the proud owner of Country Coach product after 2009.

I have had an ongoing issue with the front air springs on our motorhome. In 2018, a faulty repair caused severe overinflation of the front left air spring on my 2005 CC Magna. This condition resulted in a 75mph blowout on the I-40 near Gallup, NM. The blowout nearly cost the lives of me and my family. see the actual footage as it happend here https://youtu.be/4e2-Me-qC1s

The original "repair" (better defined as a "sabotage") that led to the blowout was performed by a Phoenix shop rhyming with Gassey's. They "repaired" our motorcoach in 2018 and it has been out of commission since. We have absorbed costs/shop hours which have exceeded the 12k mark. We have paid the mortgage, taxes, insurance, and registration fees without having use of the motorcoach. Yesterday, however, I discovered the problem and solved the issue...it was infuriatingly simple.

I originally brought our coach to "Gassey's" in PHX for an AIR LEAK. "Gassey's worked on our motorhome for almost 3 months and charged me $6500.00. Their receipt states that they replaced HWH suspension components including the front manifold solenoids. After the blowout, "Gassy's" admitted via phone that one of thier technicians gerry-rigged and together an old, incorrect, ride-height leveling valve by cutting it and welding it...then he installed it on our coach. I filed legal action against Gassey's and settled for an amount that covered most of my costs, however, the overinflation problem was still not solved.

In the last 2 years no fewer than 7 shops, 9 expert techs, and 1 engineering student attempted to diagnosed the ongoing problem. NOT ONE came to the correct conclusion. All of them failed because they did not refer to the HWH schematics or consider the symptoms of the overinflation of the left front air spring. From Denver, to Cheyenne, to Junction City, to Reno, no service tech took the time to refer to the manual or trace the pigtail connection male harnesses to their proper female harness connections on the solenoid valves. Not one technician followed the path of airflow through the air hoses or verified whether the correct solenoid was allowing air to the correct bag. Their troubleshooting was flawed because ALL of them relied on the solenoid LABELS...but the solenoid labels were wrong because Gassey's mis-labled the solenoid valves too..and installed them incorrectly.

It wasn't until yesterday, yes yesterday, that I finally discovered that "Gassey's" connected several front solenoid connections to the incorrect solenoid valves. The electrical connection for left front TRAVEL MODE solenoid was connected to the right side RAISE solenoid. After a process of elimination, I corrected the problem by connecting the solenoid valves to the corresponding solenoid wires.

Only after consulting coach owners on THIS FORUM was I able to put the pieces together. One IRV2 user recommended that I download the HWH coach-specific manual from HWH's website, another recommended that I physically trace the air hoses to the proper solenoids, yet another recommended that I test the solenoids and change the o-rings. ALL of the advice and nearly all of the recommendations I received from IRV2 users were helpful. In fact, IRV2 users were more helpful than ANY of the "professionals" who worked on the motorcoach.

Without IRV2, my motorcoach would still be out of commision. The operators and administrators of this website are providing an invaluable owner-to-owner connection between each of us in the RV community. I plan on frequenting this site more and more and will hopefully be able to help others - or at least give new coach owners confidence to trust their own troubleshooting abilities. I will be relying more on my own resourcefulness and my own troubleshooting methods. I will depend less on shops who overcharge, underperform, and on techs who claim to know everything but have no troubleshooting skills. We must realize that oftentimes the answers we seek are inside of us and we must rely more on others in the RV community instead of those RV shops who are experts only at charging for terrible service. Thank you to the dozens of IRV2 owners who helped me figure out this problem. Hope to see you out on the road soon!

Alex
BigALBigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #2

Glad everyone is ok. I have not been ripped off to the extent you were but a couple of conversations with a couple of shops made it very plan they knew less then me and wanted $150 an hour to prove it. Lots of great knowledgeable folks here and without them to assist me the coach would have been gone a long time ago
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #3

Wow Big Al

Glad you guys are all ok. I have an 05 magna and learned the expensive way too. My coach, whenever possible, goes to the experts of the components that made them. Eric olstrum will be my call on everything else or when I can’t get to Iowa for HWH etc.

Sad you went so long without enjoying your coach. I’m 2 years in to my ownership and just now it it just about where it should be and I want it. I need 2 tires then she is “ almost new”. Kevin Waite ( hope you are subscribed to his service. Best 350 you will ever spend) jokes that I am rebuilding my coach. I am not, just doing it right as time and money allow. I’m down to replacing the rope mood lights now.

This forum is invaluable. Look at my posts and the comments from Smitty, mr D, Jim and countless others.

Good luck. Pm me if I can help in any way. We are coach model twins and they are worth fixing and updating right

Tom
Tmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #4

First and foremost so glad you and your family are OK. A blowout on a steer at 65/70 on these big rigs is no fun.

I had a similar issue on my '99 Allure. The left rear bag light would come on while in travel mode. I worked on it for a long time asking help from others and taking it to a few shops here in the Phoenix area, "Grasseys" not being one of them but never cured the issue.

Finally crawled under and started tracing out lines and wires. Well guess what the wires for the left side pressure switch was connected to the right side and the right to the left. Couldn't understand why the coach would lean to the PS when the left light was on.

Fixed that then proceeded to trouble shoot the lean and it basically came down to the ride height valves not adjusted per spec.

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself if you want them done correctly.

And yes this forum is invaluable for information from guys that have fixed their own problems and that they are willing to share the help needed to fix/repair a problem they have experienced.

Best to you and safe travels
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I too found this forum when I had a problem with my water heater. Old Biscuit jumped in with the answer and I was hooked on this place.

I see that you are not yet a supporter. There is a way to help this place to be here for years to come. You get the SUPPORTER badge under your name and a nice iRV2 window sticker. You get another each time you renew.

Hope you consider supporting our fine family.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:20 AM   #6

First of all glad you and your family are safe. After reading this thread, I intend to keep my appointment at HWH in July. Had thought about maybe having someone else do the work. I have had supposedly good RV dealers say they did things and then find out the item didn't have any fingerprints on it. Did you have a Safe T Plus on your coach?
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #7

No. I don't have a Safe T Plus.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #8

Alex,
Your experience is a good example of why I have told my wife on several occasions that when the time comes that I am not able to do most of my own maintenance I will be hanging up the big rig.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #9

Kodiakan,

Hopefully that isn't for a long while!
Old 06-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #10

Just need a bigger amount on your credit card or a HELOC loan
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #11

There is not a better web site to help than IRV2, I remember being in my camp site in Bend Oregon and my slide would not go in correctly, I was stuck. I called mobil repair and they said it would be the next day before they could help, well that was not going to work my daughters wedding was the next day. I posted my problem on this site and within 15 minutes someone told me to go under my coach and look for a shear pin sitting ontop in my storage compartment, sure enough it was sitting there. I went to ace harware and purchaed a new one for 65 cents and was back in action that day.

I love sticking around on the CC site here to share things that I know even know I sold my CC and now have a truck camper (downsized lol) people always want to help.

Safe travels!!!