Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

Ignition Switch Question

My '01 Intrigue will only turn on the radio with the ignition in the "Run" position. When I turn it to "Acc", I get nothing at all.

This includes the radio located in the bedroom as well as the dash radio. Dash radio is also part of the surround sound system which also will not come on unless key is on.

Is this normal, or has my ignition switch gone bad in the Accessory position?
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I just tested my ignition on 2000 Intrigue, 3 positions -
(1) Turning left, nothing acts up.
(2) Turning right one click, lift pump runs so do all the gauges and radio/video display lighten up.
(3) Turning further to right, in addition to all in (2), engine cranks and starts up.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
I just tested my ignition on 2000 Intrigue, 3 positions -
(1) Turning left, nothing acts up.
(2) Turning right one click, lift pump runs so do all the gauges and radio/video display lighten up.
(3) Turning further to right, in addition to all in (2), engine cranks and starts up.
CountryFit, thank you for the effort. That is exactly how mine is wired. It's kind of crazy that you cannot sit and listen to the radio without everything in the coach running a the same time. My circulation pump for the heater runs and I am sure, just like yours, the lift pump is running also. Never had any other type of vehicle wired this way. I guess they had their reason????
Old 08-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
My '02 key positions are like Steve's. My rear radio and the radio up front both work without the key being on. FYI, the lift pump will run for about 45 seconds before it times out. The circulation pump you refer to, is that for the Hurricane heating system? If so, the key should not have to be on for that
Old 08-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Don reminded me that my radio head "Alpine" had worked like that - at any time I could have powered it up and all audio/video system done the job. It was last year, I didn't like to manually press the power button to show the backup camera live image when engine starts each time, so I rewired the harness on the back of the Alpine... Now when engine is up my display turns on by its own.

dfuelman - if your display is Alpine or a similar head unit, and it is off when engine is off, lemme know I could tell you how to make it full time available.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
My '02 key positions are like Steve's. My rear radio and the radio up front both work without the key being on. FYI, the lift pump will run for about 45 seconds before it times out. The circulation pump you refer to, is that for the Hurricane heating system? If so, the key should not have to be on for that
The pump I hear running is the pump for the dash heater/defroster. At least that is what I think it is running.

I wonder if someone re-wired mine at some point and made it only play when the key is on? It is strange that you could not use the surround sound for the TV without the ignition key on.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Don reminded me that my radio head "Alpine" had worked like that - at any time I could have powered it up and all audio/video system done the job. It was last year, I didn't like to manually press the power button to show the backup camera live image when engine starts each time, so I rewired the harness on the back of the Alpine... Now when engine is up my display turns on by its own.

dfuelman - if your display is Alpine or a similar head unit, and it is off when engine is off, lemme know I could tell you how to make it full time available.
My Coach had the original Panosonic head unit that it came from the factory with until last week. I upgraded to a Stinger Heigh 10 unit just last week. The stereo installation folks kept it just like what was there to avoid issues. They were also questioning the power setup. I added new backup camera and both side cameras (It is AWESOME!) for better vision.

Let me know what you did to make it full time, it is not convenient at all like it is.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #8

Shouldn't be rocket science to move any radio you want to be able to run off the house battery (vs chassis battery with ignition on acc) to a house battery source (with appropriate fuse).
Old 08-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
Community Moderator

dfuelman - though I am not familiar with Stinger Heigh head unit, if they follow their industry common practice, there should be a bundle of wires on the back. One thick red wire like 12 gauge is the 12v power source positive wire. A thin wire in the bundle, could be in red or yellow, is a control wire. When this control wire is disconnected from the ignition and connected to the power source, the head unit would power up any time you press the power button on the front panel. This is what you'd need. Any experienced stereo installation guy should be able to do this. Let me know how it goes.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
dfuelman, what did you do with your old Panasonic unit? Is it the VA707?
Old 08-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
dfuelman, what did you do with your old Panasonic unit? Is it the VA707?
It's laying in the floor of the Coach right now, I was planning on throwing it away. Do you have need of it? I do not have the access code and managed to lock myself out of it a while back but it did work prior to that. The back up camera was the only thing that did not work. Would switch over but would only show a black screen.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #12

For reference, my 2001 Intrigue has the original Panasonic which is powered on and off without the ignition key. You could always re-wire yours to the accessory side of the key if that's what you prefer.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Evening Star" #11290
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
dfuelman - though I am not familiar with Stinger Heigh head unit, if they follow their industry common practice, there should be a bundle of wires on the back. One thick red wire like 12 gauge is the 12v power source positive wire. A thin wire in the bundle, could be in red or yellow, is a control wire. When this control wire is disconnected from the ignition and connected to the power source, the head unit would power up any time you press the power button on the front panel. This is what you'd need. Any experienced stereo installation guy should be able to do this. Let me know how it goes.
Thanks CountryFit, I may look into that myself or run it back up and have the Stereo guys change it. As much as I like the idea of everything being off when the key is off, I would like to be able to listen the the radio with having the ignition on all the time.

The Stinger Heigh unit is very nice and is what was recommended by the shop that did the install. They also sell Alpine and others but this was there suggestion and so far I am VERY pleased. The backup and side view cameras alone are worth the price of the whole install! I can see almost 90 degrees out from the front of my entry door for at least two lanes and all the way down the side of my coach (about the same on driver's side) and from right at trailer hitch back beyond my trailer and at least 1/2 a lane on each side in rear. I have the ability to add two more cameras if I chose. My AM/FM reception is greatly increased and the sound quality is tremendous. I really like my music!
Old 08-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
For reference, my 2001 Intrigue has the original Panasonic which is powered on and off without the ignition key. You could always re-wire yours to the accessory side of the key if that's what you prefer.
Does anything currently work on the accessory side of your switch? That is what I find so odd, NOTHING comes on in my Coach on ACC. Makes me wonder if the switch is bad???

Tags
ignition, switch