Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2022, 10:49 PM   #1

installing wax valve on 2003 Allure question

Wanted to see if someone can give me the advantages/ disadvantage of installing the supplied orifice. Source engineering told me to leave it in place but I have read where others have removed it. Understand fan will not turn at start up if orifice is removed, and system will take longer to warm up and may run cooler, but manufacturer recommends using it. So hoping to get other opinions from members that have real experiences. Again appreciate any insight
gdbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 04:27 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
First, please understand that this is not going to be a "technical' response! I can just offer my experience.

I decided not to install the orifice to help warm the engine faster. Source told me if I did that, not to run the A/C until the valve turned the fan on, otherwise, the A/C would overheat.

However, what did happen was when I first started out one morning, we immediately climbed a hill - maybe 1.5 miles long. The engine shut down as the exhaust manifold temp was over 160 (not sure of the exact number).

Since then, I've installed the orifice and all is well. I use the A/C immediately in the summer.
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:24 AM   #3

160 on exhaust temp? I think you mean 1600.

Anyway, I left the orifice installed and on this trip, climbing the hills in WY and MT, I haven't seen a temp over 188. No problems with the AC either.
Been running the wax valve for a few years and probably 100K miles
Old 08-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #4

I “plan” to install a wax valve one day (when current controller fails). My intention is to install a needle valve instead of the orifice. That way I can adjust and set idle fan speed, or no fan at start up.

My thoughts.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #5

No right or wrong, just choices! We had the SE Wax Valve installed by SE themselves, and it had the orifice. I never had a problem with how they're wax valve approached worked from the moment we drove out of their facility (Old facility.).

I was very cautious on our Allure, to not turn on Over The Road AC until temps were up. (I do the same thing with the Jake, leave it off until we reach running temperatures.)

And, I had had Brazel's install an EGT gauge for me, and I personally feel it's a great modification for any coach owner. I followed the Banks Paper on EGT, and drove by EGT, backing off as we climbed towards 1300F range. Cheap insurance, regardless of Wax Valve or not!

I like Brain's approach too...

Good luck, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #6

If no bypass providing SOME air flow even at low coolant temperatures, two bad things can happen:

As you mention, dash HVAC head temperature can skyrocket as no air flow over the condenser.

AND

No air flow through the CAC means high intake manifold temperatures, which can lead to high exhaust manifold temperatures as well.

Remember, on some side radiator coaches air flow from the outside is:
Dash HVAC condenser
CAC
Radiator
Transmission cooler-- may be separate, may integrated into the radiator
Fan(s) sucking air from the outside and exhausting it into the engine room
Old 08-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #7

I installed the orifice when I did mine 5 years ago. Everything works great but I still get a dust storm when I pull into a campsite with gravel. It is better since the wax valve, but still annoying
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #8

I installed mine 5 years ago without the orifice installed, I also removed the AC coil since the compressor blew a while back(run the Generator and rooftop unit it works better and I think its more economical)
been traveling across Ok at 100 deg this week temps have climbed to 194 on hills but comes back to 183 quickly Do need to downshift to get rpms up on long hills though.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:07 PM   #9

I'm with Brian on this too. Still factory. My temps, both engine and transmission are 200 degrees and goes up and down from there depending on hills. Transmission usually lags behind engine but catch up to each other in a minute or two.Outside air temp has very little effect on operating temps.

What should my ISL 400 be running?

ELeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, valve