Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2020, 11:22 PM   #15

Hi this is Gary, thanks a bunch for the leads and expectations. I see a bunch with C-15 Cats and I know they're thirsty but are they bullet proof?? That's a lot of power and I'd love to have that at my disposal, but not if I'm going to get 4 to 5 mpg, that's nuts. I get 8 on my coach now with a Cummins. I'm a little confused and don't want to make a mistake. I would think that the Cummins has more resale, am I all wet or is this true??
Thanks Gang, safe travels and watch out for those nutz!
garbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 12:29 PM   #16

Does anyone know the years and serial numbers of the ISX 600 that had the intake valve problems? Looking at a 2008 Monaco with n ISX 600 in it. Could be a 2007 engine but not sure yet.
Hipower120r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipower120r View Post
Does anyone know the years and serial numbers of the ISX 600 that had the intake valve problems? Looking at a 2008 Monaco with n ISX 600 in it. Could be a 2007 engine but not sure yet.

Get a copy of the data plate on the engine. Get the engine series number and compare it to the engine series numbers listed in this report.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7099.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	274393
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7100.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	274394Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7101.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	274395
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbear1 View Post
Hi this is Gary, thanks a bunch for the leads and expectations. I see a bunch with C-15 Cats and I know they're thirsty but are they bullet proof?? That's a lot of power and I'd love to have that at my disposal, but not if I'm going to get 4 to 5 mpg, that's nuts. I get 8 on my coach now with a Cummins. I'm a little confused and don't want to make a mistake. I would think that the Cummins has more resale, am I all wet or is this true??
Thanks Gang, safe travels and watch out for those nutz!

C-15's come in multiple flavors! If it's a 2007+ ACERT Smog generation engine, I'd look very cautiously at it (Actually, I would not look at it at all!)

I just recently asked a fellow CC owner with a 42' 04 coach and C-15, about MPG. He let me know that he has seen as high as 8.5 while cruising on the flat highways, and that at about 100K miles, he's has about a 6MPG life of engine mileage...

I've also read other threads of owners with the C-15, that said they had a light foot - and that they were getting 6.5MPG range over many years of driving. (Also very possible they did not travel in regions of heavy mountains...)

The C-15 is an abundant of power plant HP/Torque available in that era, and depending upon gearing - it's really just loafing along at interstate speeds... Even in a heavy 45' Top Tier coach (Say Affinity or Magna). with the heavier weights those coaches sum up to with all of their 'goodies'. And heck, toss in a heavy toad too. The C-15, is just not being worked very hard...

Sure, compared to a C-12 or even C-13, it's going cost a bit more for annual maintenance - just a bit of oil in that C-15... But, that's a fixed known cost. The C-15, again pre 2007 ACERT generation engine, is going to be a simpler engine to maintain overall then the C-13. Single vs dual turbo's, as one example.

IF you find a coach you like, in good condition - don't let the C-15 scare you away. I'd personally prefer an older C-12, as I do not have a heavy toad (Though the C-12 could handle one too!). The C-12 in the 2002-2004 era, was at the mature end of it's life cycle. Less oil needed annually. Less weight be a smaller block then the C-15 or C-13. And I'll use the term KISS, in comparison to the C-13... That being said, for the right coach, I'd not hesitate on a C-15, regardless of preferring the C-12... (Or, if you go a bit newer, one of the rare Cummins ISM 500's.).

As far as value. Well if it's in say a 2004 era coach, Intrigue or Magna or Affinity (Though I admit I don't know if the Affinity had a C-15 option(?).) - I'd personally feel the C-15 would not be a detriment to value of the coach...

Ongoing best of luck to you on your hunt!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
C-15's come in multiple flavors! If it's a 2007+ ACERT Smog generation engine, I'd look very cautiously at it (Actually, I would not look at it at all!)

I just recently asked a fellow CC owner with a 42' 04 coach and C-15, about MPG. He let me know that he has seen as high as 8.5 while cruising on the flat highways, and that at about 100K miles, he's has about a 6MPG life of engine mileage...

I've also read other threads of owners with the C-15, that said they had a light foot - and that they were getting 6.5MPG range over many years of driving. (Also very possible they did not travel in regions of heavy mountains...)

The C-15 is an abundant of power plant HP/Torque available in that era, and depending upon gearing - it's really just loafing along at interstate speeds... Even in a heavy 45' Top Tier coach (Say Affinity or Magna). with the heavier weights those coaches sum up to with all of their 'goodies'. And heck, toss in a heavy toad too. The C-15, is just not being worked very hard...

Sure, compared to a C-12 or even C-13, it's going cost a bit more for annual maintenance - just a bit of oil in that C-15... But, that's a fixed known cost. The C-15, again pre 2007 ACERT generation engine, is going to be a simpler engine to maintain overall then the C-13. Single vs dual turbo's, as one example.

IF you find a coach you like, in good condition - don't let the C-15 scare you away. I'd personally prefer an older C-12, as I do not have a heavy toad (Though the C-12 could handle one too!). The C-12 in the 2002-2004 era, was at the mature end of it's life cycle. Less oil needed annually. Less weight be a smaller block then the C-15 or C-13. And I'll use the term KISS, in comparison to the C-13... That being said, for the right coach, I'd not hesitate on a C-15, regardless of preferring the C-12... (Or, if you go a bit newer, one of the rare Cummins ISM 500's.).

As far as value. Well if it's in say a 2004 era coach, Intrigue or Magna or Affinity (Though I admit I don't know if the Affinity had a C-15 option(?).) - I'd personally feel the C-15 would not be a detriment to value of the coach...

Ongoing best of luck to you on your hunt!!
Smitty

I'm the owner of the CC that Smitty talked about. I'll take a C-15 or C-12 over a ISX any day.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote