Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
Any experience with the Xantrex 458 Unit? I’m trying to be economical née cheap. Still recovering financially from cancer treatments.
We have the Xantrex 458 Unit. It was originally installed in our 2005 CC and is still running. During that time we also traveled full time for 5 years with no issues.
gilbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
Thanks for your kind words.

Based on everything I read later on the Xantrex I ordered the Magnum MS2812 pure sine wave 2800W inverter charger this morning. Cost me a hair over $1330 but included free shipping and no tax. I saw the same inverter as high as $1900 so I think I got a pretty good price. I’ve got everything ready on my end with the Heart 20D ready to yank out. Country Coach should and could have done a much better job of protecting the inverter. When I pulled the cover off the front of the inverter compartment there was a good inch of dirt on top of the old inverter.
$1300 is a good buy. I just surfed online it looked like the lowest price is about $1500 including shipping and tax. Good for you!

MS2812 vs. MS3012 - there are a few differences. MS2812 allows 2-in install. I did 2 x 30a inputs, so on shore or genset I get 7200w pass-through instead of 3600w with one 30a input. But MS3012 allows max only a single 50a input, that is 6000w pass-through. (I still don't understand why it won't allow 2 x 50a or 2 x 30a. Fact is 2-in isn't an option on the manual).

On the other hand, MS3012 has a supplementing function from inverting to pass-through when needed.

You can use the same data wire you have, but you'd need a remote display either ME-RC50 or ME-RAC50.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
When I was looking for a new inverter, the cheapest place was IMarine. I hope people are using them as they are really nice people to work with. No, I do not get any monetary benefit from them. Kinda hard to beat free shipping and zero tax on a heavy thing like an inverter
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #18

Just purchased the Magnum MSH3012M (hybrid with load support mentioned above), haven't installed yet, but the latest manual shows single input 60amp and switching capability. My intrigue only has 30amp wiring and breakers for the inverter at this point. Would have to run new wiring to use the inverter with 60amps.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron930cab View Post
Just purchased the Magnum MSH3012M (hybrid with load support mentioned above), haven't installed yet, but the latest manual shows single input 60amp and switching capability. My intrigue only has 30amp wiring and breakers for the inverter at this point. Would have to run new wiring to use the inverter with 60amps.
Your manual says single 60a but your rig is 50a electric; i.e. you can only get 50a on each leg. As we know RV parks only have 50a pedestals if not less. Practically even though you rewire with heavier gauge wires, you may only see 50a in a single leg passing to your inverter. Interesting...
Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #20

Countryfit, thanks, should have thought of that sooner. Do the in/out wires from your inverter go thru the cabinets inside to the electrical panels by the rear closet? Mine look like they must be coming up in the washer/dryer cabinet sort of directly above the battery bay. I'm hoping that the load support can help when on 30amp pedestal or less like at a rally.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Inverter change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjack View Post
I need to upgrade from my Pacs 1500 inverter in my 89 Concept. Any suggestions ??

Bootjack-

I have the Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 with AGS and have been very happy with it. The Magnums are also popular but I have no experience with them. Yes, you would be able to get rid of your old separate charger as the setup (Xantrex or Magnum) would have it built in. Adequate space in the electrical bay will not be an issue in your Concept. With the 3000W inverter you would also eliminate the need for the circuit selection switch in your overhead panel when using the microwave/convection oven.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Countryfit, thanks, should have thought of that sooner. Do the in/out wires from your inverter go thru the cabinets inside to the electrical panels by the rear closet? Mine look like they must be coming up in the washer/dryer cabinet sort of directly above the battery bay. I'm hoping that the load support can help when on 30amp pedestal or less like at a rally.
Ron, My rig doesn't have tag axles and with only one slide, I am sure yours is different so is the layout. On my coach I routed a #10 Romex/3 from main panel to the inverter bay via inside the rear cap. Not sure if that is the best route for your rig.

Certainly the load support is a nice feature. You will be happy with it.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #23

Quote:
I am not sure how your reading the manual. The inverter puts out around 3000watts so a 30 amp 10g copper going in and out is fine. I enclosed a photo of my install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4548[1738].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	243695  
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I installed a Magnum MSH3012 in our coach last year. Our original Trace inverter also had two 30a inputs from opposite legs. You do not have to rewire the coach for the MSH3012. I used the existing pair of 10 gauge wires. I fed them from new circuit breakers installed on the same leg. This is in effect two inputs in parallel. The MSH3012 can accept up to 60 amps on one input leg (but of course our coaches are wired for 50 amps max on each leg).

The reason the MSH3012 has a single input is because it is monitoring shore/generator input power on the one leg and can supplement it with battery power if necessary. This can be very handy if you are plugged into a 30a source, or using a small generator and just need a slight boost to start an appliance.

I am now able to switch power sources from generator to shore power and power is not interrupted. A desktop computer will not even go off line.

There are some other differences I covered in detail here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swapping-a-trace-xantrex-inverter-for-a-magnum-in-a-2004-monaco-signature-386835.html

I also installed a new Magnum ME-ARC remote (be careful, you have to cut and reverse the existing RJ11 remote cord), AGS, BMT, and an inside temp sensor.

Bootjack, the reason I went with Magnum is they have parts and support available in various cites around the US. Also, their battery charging modes are superior to most of the other inverters.

Hope this helps with your install.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjack View Post
I need to upgrade from my Pacs 1500 inverter in my 89 Concept. Any suggestions ??
I also have a magnum Ms 2812 with the programable remote. I also installed two 30 amp toggle switches in the MBR. When I am dry camping at night we turn off the front leg of the inverter. This saved us a lot of wasted battery power.
You can program the magnum to charge at the appropriat in coming shore power.
Magnum is by far the very best for rving.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I am not sure how your reading the manual. The inverter puts out around 3000watts so a 30 amp 10g copper going in and out is fine. I enclosed a photo of my install.

Like the install, and great place for the SS30 halon Unit! (Mine is collecting dust at home. And after a fell MS2812 caught on fire, I'm going to repurpose my SS30 inside the cabinet with my Magnum too... Great safety tip visual with that picture!).

Ron930cab - Your planned usage is exactly the reason the MSH had bene available when I bought out MS2812. Another benefit, is while in a park that charges for electricity, and if you have good solar panels support on your coach, you can augment power usage between shore power and battery power, to reduce the consumption of electricity from shore power during the day!

Best to you both,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
On CC's with a single 2kw or 3kw inverter, there is a single 30a #10 wire from main breaker panel to the inverter and 2 wires out for interior outlets and microwave. When upgrade to a Magnum MS2812, many people simply swapped the two and be done with it. Well, nothing wrong with this approach.

However, the beauty of MS2812 doesn't stop here. It allows 2in/2out! When inverting, true, it's limited to 30A output at 120v. But when on shore or genset, 2 of 30a input are directly transferred to 2 x 30a output, doubling the output capacity.

I walked this extra mile and now benefit from 2in/2out set up tremendously. When on battery alone, I can only do 1 of 3 tasks (charging ev, running living room A/C, using microwave) plus minors at any given time. But when on shore or genset, I can do any 2 of the 3 tasks plus minors concurrently.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #28

I had strongly considered a Tesla battery slab and Schneider 3400/4000 watt 24v hybrid invertor. Killer deal at $1200
https://www.altestore.com/store/inve...E#SCNCONSW4024
Of corse there other things to do 24 to 12v converto r would have to be huge unless , maybe split hyd. jacks to chassis batts.
Lose boost capability with tesla 24v. Wouldn't be fantastic but could split 12v of half of 24v multi batt. system for emergency start.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter