Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Inverter Shut Down

I took the bus from MD to NC just to visit a shop there that was a former Country Coach dealer and service center. I was having a water pressure problem which got fixed. On the way home I noticed that the Inverter was not running anything, fridge, microwave, AC plugs. When I checked on the Silverleaf I saw the Inverter was on standby as was the charger. I turned on the generator while we were over the road and it did power everything but wasn't charging the batteries.
The only thing I can think of was the shop plugged in my 50amp cord to "charge the batteries for me" overnight before I picked it up. Something could have happened to shut down the inverter, but I don't know what.
I have a Xantrex PS3.0 Inverter.
I have:
1) Checked all the breakers inside the house and reset everything even though nothing was tripped.
2) I have checked all of the red button breakers in the battery bays and in the rear service bay where the chassis battery disconnect is located.
3) I have checked the 3 red breaker buttons in the Inverter Bay in the basement.
None of the breakers appear to have been tripped. I don't have, or at least I can't locate the OEM information panel that comes with the Xantrex. All I have is through the Silverleaf. There is an error which if I remember correctly states there is a breaker fault #3 AC. I'm at work now but I'll post it when I get home, but it doesn't match any of the errors I see in the manual which seems to be geared toward their own panel.
I can't find any kind of power or reset button on or near the inverter itself. I know CC does stuff their own way so if anyone knows if I'm missing breakers or a power/reset switch I'd appreciate the info. Also any suggestion you may have that's not covered in what I've already tried.
Thanks!
Don
Stratman50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

On my old Xantrex (actually Freedom) I can turn the Inverter off on the Inverter box or in a Link2000 remote control panel.

The directions say to leave the box switch off to use the remote control on/off switch.

Your Xantrex manual may provide additional info. And, you may be able to dowload the manual from the Web if you do not have one.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks Dean! I have the manual downloaded.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #4

Different unit was stock in our 04 Allure. The RV2012 Trace Inverter/Charger unit. (Now replaced with a PSW unit.)

Mine came back from a shop once not working. Finally traced down to a reset button on the back side of the unit, not seen by me. (Yahoo CC User Group helped me on this fix.). Reset it, and all back up and going.

Also might look for some inline fuses.

Best of luck on what I hope is an easy fix, and please, let us know what you find out. It could help others in the future!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

If your batteries are not being charged and you do not have 12v house power when not on shore power or generator, your 300A Class T fuse may be blown between the inverter and the house batteries.

That event would also prevent the inverter from drawing power from the battery for 110v use.

I have two such fuses. One in the battery compartment and one near the inverter.

And yes, a shop blew one of mine somehow several years ago.

My friend's 2007 Affinity had two inverters with similar fuses in line as described.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Ours has a breaker on the back of the actual inverter itself. It took me a lot of trouble shooting and searching to find it. What tripped it was as simple as plugging a vacuum into one of the outlets powered by the inverter and it was pulling too much power. The breaker was a little switch on the back side and very hard to see, you really have to look for it. Good luck.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Had a similar situation and the breaker on the inverter was the problem....once you know where it is you feel soooo relieved. Mine has pop out type breakers, not easily spotted unless you know where to look and what looks different.
Also... controls are a good place to look.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

Closing the Loop.
Ok, most of you were correct in one way or the other. I called the shop that worked on it and I'm about 99.9% sure it wasn't the tech. I suspect the power posts as Ive said before. So thr tech who worked on it originally found the xantrex manual for my unit on line. I didn't get one with the bus and he didn't have a hard copy. The culprit was a "reset switch" (breaker?) On the side of the inverter unit itself. The picture he had was kinda useless as it was a black and white line drawing. I couldn't even see it on the drawing, but what I could see was where the data lines from the silverleaf plugged in. The switch was there. For those of you with the same unit, we'll call where the pos and neg cables plug in the bottom and the fan outlets the top. The switch is on the left side. It's a slide switch not a push button. It's also very small. It feels about the size of the little blade you push in to release a phone or ethernet cable. As soon as you slide it the fan comes on for a second then shuts off. I slid it again and turned the unit off (Doink). I figgured out my goof and turned it back on. Everything is working fine now. Deandec, mine is 400amp and I was praying that wasn't it!
Oh one more thing... well, two more. First, I have never seen the switch. No room to stick my head in there and I dont own one of those little wand mirrors. I did it all by feel witch is why I tried to be detailed in my description.
Last,, as always everyone... thanks for responding.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

King Richard, you are so right! Big sigh of relief when that fan came on.

Tags
inverter