Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

JC Refrigeration Compressor Unit Experiences?

Has anybody tried the JC Refrigeration compressor replacement for the Dometic 1492 (or any other fridge) cooling unit? 12-volt? 110? How did it work out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I read sometime ago someone posted in RV Systems and Appliances forum here a success story. Use the search function at right upper corner inside the frame to get the thread.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Has anybody tried the JC Refrigeration compressor replacement for the Dometic 1492 (or any other fridge) cooling unit? 12-volt? 110? How did it work out?

We changed ours last summer to the 120VAC model and are very pleased.
adkod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
We changed ours about a year ago -- Dometic NDR 1292. We found it impossible to get installation help in the Yuma area so opted for a trip to Shipshewana for a factory install. Local RV techs were too busy (or didn't want) to mess with a newfangled compressor based system; residential repair techs want nothing to do with RV's. I suspect it will be equally difficult to find willing local service help should it ever be needed in the future -- another trip to Shipshewana may be the only answer!

We chose the 12V option, which required the addition of a 12v-24v "boost" device in order for the Dometic control board to function reliably -- corrected before we left the factory.

We've had a problem with temperature differential between the fridge and freezer compartments since day one -- freezer never much colder than refer section. It improved somewhat after installing insulating material behind one side (1/2) of the interior cooling fins -- now tolerable, but still not what we expected.

Would we do it again? We'd probably look more carefully at other options if we were in an area with nearby "trusted" service providers.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Rich, are you thinking to get it converted by yourself or have someone else to do it for you? While you're researching on the compressor conversion, you might want to explore the feasibility of getting a residential refer as well. I did the latter by myself 3 years ago, from a NDR1292, $400 out of pocket including the stainless side door. It wasn't hard at all, and the result was amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv fridge.png
Views:	109
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	279921  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Rich, are you thinking to get it converted by yourself or have someone else to do it for you? While you're researching on the compressor conversion, you might want to explore the feasibility of getting a residential refer as well. I did the latter by myself 3 years ago, from a NDR1292, $400 out of pocket including the stainless side door. It wasn't hard at all, and the result was amazing.

CountryFit, is that a 9.2 Magic chef by any chance??
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:30 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus1 View Post
CountryFit, is that a 9.2 Magic chef by any chance??
Exactly
Old 03-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Steven. I spoke with Eric Olstrom who I can always count on to give me a really good advice. He convinced me residential is the way to go. I'm going to him and we're going to do the usual Samsung 18 c.f. French door. He's done hundreds, and most everyone loves that upgrade from what I've read in our group. I need a relatively big fridge since not only do I full-time, but I boondock and am in remote areas a lot so I frequently buy a month or more food. I looked around and I really couldn't find much anything else that fits so well in the space occupied by my 1492 as that particular Samsung. As far as the fridge goes you can pick one up for less than the compressor or an Amish cooling unit. I did some fanmods to my 1492 and it really served me well rock hard ice cream and 36 degrees in the fridge, but it is on the way out and I am really looking forward to no more defrosting the freezer, staying really cold in very hot weather, and not losing things on lower shelves, if you know what I mean. I am going to really miss those huge drawers under the Dometic though.

I now have 800 watts of solar and that Samsung only draws about 5 DC amps, so I should be fine between the solar and 6 Trojan T105. I also have a 3 cubic foot Chinese upright compressor freezer in my bedroom closet for about the last 7 years. I already run that on inverter/gen/solar all summer. It's super efficient, draws about 2 amps when it's running. It doesn't run much especially since I don't open the door much, and its energy star rated.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Glad you are heading a right direction Rich. I was going to tell you up straight but refrained from raining on a parade...

RF18 is my favorite too; If i had to do it again I would go with it in a heart beat. 3 years ago, I wanted a direct replacement, no woodwork, able to go through the front door. It turned out to be great, super quiet, and a bigger interior space than NDR 1292's. I am sure you'll be happy with yours.

Post some pics after done. Don can tell you how to make a travel door lock (he has the same one).
Old 04-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Glad you are heading a right direction Rich. I was going to tell you up straight but refrained from raining on a parade...

RF18 is my favorite too; If i had to do it again I would go with it in a heart beat. 3 years ago, I wanted a direct replacement, no woodwork, able to go through the front door. It turned out to be great, super quiet, and a bigger interior space than NDR 1292's. I am sure you'll be happy with yours.

Post some pics after done. Don can tell you how to make a travel door lock (he has the same one).
Yeah, we too went with the RF18. I tried hard to retain our Norcold 1200, as I wanted the off grid capability of the Propane. We did the Amish Cooling unit swap over, and I also added extra pancake fans to assist on cooling (Two via thermocouple, and two more up high below the chimney to the roof vent, that were manually on/off switched to a micro switch wired into the front cabinetry wood trim. (I used the manual switch when the fridge side was baking in the sun of say a 110+F degree Arizona sun!). The unit worked well, until it didn't! Oh, I did keep the SS30 Fire Extinguisher in the back of the 1200, a well as a dedicated smoke detector too. I'd already installed those before doing the Amish Cooling Unit swap out. Stopped working? Yep, a failure in the unit. I was offered a replacement unit at a good price, as the other one was about 2 1/2 years old, and out of warranty. But by then, I'd overhauled our battery bay and added 800A Lifeline's, 1200W of solar and the MS2812 (Missed the MH3012 by abut 4-5 months, which I really wish we had, to lower costs on electricity when paying monthly in hotter climates.).

So, RF18. At first, I did get some push back from the DW - as she did not want to lose her 'junk drawer' below the 1200! I made her a deal that we'd add another cabinet with a drawer dedicated to her... (OMC did this for us about 4 years ago. Matching the wood perfectly, and Matt had bought the surplus Corian counter tops from CC at the auction within his Carr Cabinet business. So that too was an exact match including the Corian ascent strip. So she's a happy camper with the extra cabinet and drawer!!!).

Overall very happy with the RF18. Would have liked a bit more freezer space (We elected to not activate the ice maker. Use two ice cube trays, and removing the OEM ice bucket pan from Samsung, gives us another couple of inches of freezer space. And I like the extra filtration of the water from our kitchen drinking faucet for the ice, so not an issue to us. And the upper fridge part could be a bit more adjustable on the shelves - but we certainly make do with it. Far superior to the 1200 in space and cooling.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Yep Smitty I remember you have it. There are a lot of happy users of it, really looking and working good. The most exciting thing about a residential refer is - you virtually never need to check the temp as you know it's working loyally day and night; basically a plug and forget
Old 04-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Yep Smitty I remember you have it. There are a lot of happy users of it, really looking and working good. The most exciting thing about a residential refer is - you virtually never need to check the temp as you know it's working royally day and night for you; basically a plug and forget
I don't usually get extended warranties. But, I wish I had on our RF18. Have had no problems with it, but for sure vibrations going down the road is going to be harder on any fridge - then sitting in a home!

Just sharing that opinion for anyone who is thinking about going with any residential fridge install...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #13

Steve
You got the RF 18 through your front door? your 1292 out the front door? How wide is your door? I would think you would have a very similar door to mine. Does it angle back part way up like mine?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #14

Thanks Smitty. I'll send some pics when it's done. I know I'm going to miss those drawers! The whole lots of pots and pans and stuff. I thought about building a cabinet for those drawers, but I can't find anywhere to put them in this coach!

Tags
compressor