Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Just replaced my coach batteries and....

can't get 120 volts to the coach from shore power?? I get 120 to the coach through the generator. I heard I may have to "reset" my inverter by disconnecting the negative cable to all batteries
RJPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery connections have nothing to do with 120V shore power.
Inverter/Charger may power a few 120V plug ins.
Check for tripped breakers/fuses on Inverter/Charger

Shore power 120V breakers not tripped?
Inside 120V breaker not tripped?
Transfer Switch not stuck on generator output?
Transfer switch getting power from shore power?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPerry View Post
can't get 120 volts to the coach from shore power?? I get 120 to the coach through the generator. I heard I may have to "reset" my inverter by disconnecting the negative cable to all batteries
My guess would be the transfer switch or a problem with the shore power. You probably have some type of protection on the shore power and if everything is not right it will not connect the shore power to the transfer switch. The generator does not go through the protection so that might be why it is working. If you are getting 120v with the generator then your inverter is working as it should.

It's always nice to know the year and model of coach so others with the same equipment may be able to help.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

I have seen internal transfer switch errors when batteries are swapped out. I have had good luck clearing the problem by pushing the reset button on the inverter. I have also found the reset had to be pushed a couple of times. This happened the last time I installed new batteries a few months ago. Thought I had a bad inverter but it got working and has been fine since.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your inverter (most of them do) has its own internal transfer switch. Try resetting the inverter and see if that takes care of the problem.

When I had an inverter failing (Magnum Energy 2000W PSW) I could get no 120V power to many things in the coach when connected to shore power....TV, fridge, most of the 120V outlets. My AC's would work since they are not wired to the inverter. After doing a manual reset on the inverter, I could get 120V to everything. I had to eventually replace the inverter but that was my first education that many things in the coach won't run if the inverter transfer switch is not working.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

Guess I need to determine what exactly isn't working on shore power. After swapping the batteries, pulling it back in the barn, backed the trailer up to it, closed the gate, plugged in shore power, and walked past the refer vent outside, I heard the gas on! So when I checked the refer controls, it said "No AC" then looked at the microwave and saw no LED lights! Checked the AC breakers in the back panel, all good there! I will confirm shore power is good this afternoon and report back.

BTW, it's a 2004 Intrigue Suite Sensation 40'
Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #7

Well, not sure what I did to the inverter, but after staring at it, turning it on and off multiple times, pushing on the circuit breaker button countless times, a couple of slaps on the side, I went back inside the coach to finally find 120 volt power restored? Before that, I had power to the A/C's on shore power but all outlets and the microwave were dead! Back in business!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Well, not sure what I did to the inverter, but after staring at it, turning it on and off multiple times, pushing on the circuit breaker button countless times, a couple of slaps on the side, I went back inside the coach to finally find 120 volt power restored? Before that, I had power to the A/C's on shore power but all outlets and the microwave were dead! Back in business!
The KISS approach of just slapping it to start with, would have saved you sometime! (With possibly a few 'colorful words' of encouragement too...)

Glad your up and running! And as mentioned, sometimes just multiple off/on and resets, will solve a confused electrical piece of equipment.

Travel safe, and have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

Thanks Smitty, and yes, a slap will be my first approach next time!!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not an inverter problem

Automatic Transfer Switch problem. Welded in Generator position.

NOTE: One of the things they forgot to tell me when I bought my RV was do not HOT Transfer.. DISCONNECT from shore power for 3 minutes before starting generator (or turn off park breaker) and wait 3 minutes after shutting down Generator to restore shore power (Unless you use a quality device like a Progressive Industries HW-#0C (# is 3 or 5) which counts down very close to 3 mintues before engaging power.

But alwyas, ALWAYS shut down one source before bringing the other source on line.

Option, turn off MAIN breakers for 3 mintues.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

New issue, getting ready to leave, I noticed my Xantrex remote above my door is blank! Nuttin, can't turn inverter on, no status!! Not gonna be a problem for this trip since I'm going to a park, but WTH??? Light on the inverter indicates full charge, but that's it??
Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
New issue, getting ready to leave, I noticed my Xantrex remote above my door is blank! Nuttin, can't turn inverter on, no status!! Not gonna be a problem for this trip since I'm going to a park, but WTH??? Light on the inverter indicates full charge, but that's it??
I just went through a replacement and series of trouble shooting steps on my Xantrex Freedom inverter. ASE Supply in Portland, OR (503) 288-0100 is the West Coast rep for Xantrex and Josh, their technician, was a huge help and a great resource. Hope this helps.
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

We just went through something similar. We reset the inverter at the box which got a green flashing light but that was it. We were told to unplug the box (in the bay) and plug it back in then turn it on again. That solved the problem!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We just went through something similar. We reset the inverter at the box which got a green flashing light but that was it. We were told to unplug the box (in the bay) and plug it back in then turn it on again. That solved the problem!
When I got back home Sunday, I unplugged the data cable from the inverter to the remote and that fixed the problem!! Thanks!!

Tags
ace, batteries, replace