Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Key-on solenoid no output?

i have a solenoid in engine compartment at passenger side below the tow control board. the parts no is 70-111224-5a continuous, made by white-rogers.

this is a clearer photo from website:

i thought this is a key-on switch. look at above photo, at its left is 12v hot, at right side, it should come 12v when key is on. but in reality it shows always zero volt. does anyone have an idea what it controls?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #2

Unless there is other wiring attached that's not shown, it won't work.
There should, be a hot feed to one side ( small post ) from the ignition, and the other small post should be a ground , in order for the unit to power up.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Community Moderator

hi skip, you are right - the small ones, you are seeing them in middle with a coil connected in my pic (don't understand why there is a coil or winch in between), each pole has a wire connected from somewhere. i will test those small ones tomorrow if there is a voltage when key is on.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #4

The interconnect, may have a diode in it, but I can't think of why if it was a aux start solenoid or related to a BIRD system, why you can't register chassis battery volts on one large terminal and coach battery volts on the other.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
YC1

Could have been an emergency start solenoid that would combine both battery banks providing a jump start.

If there are no other wires on the small terminals there is no control. If there is no voltage on either large terminal then follow the ends of the wires to find out what they were connected to. Sharpen your test lead or press a sharp pin into the large wire a few inches away from the large posts. The wires could be so corroded based on the looks of the nuts that no voltage is reaching the large terminals.

The device connected between the two small terminals appears to be a diode. Wet the thing with your fingers and see if there is a black stripe around one end. If so it is a diode. It was probably used to dampen spikes induced by the coil being energized.

Where is the solenoid located?

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
As has been mentioned above, the component between the small terminals is almost certainly a diode. Country Coach puts diodes across all or nearly all relay coils.

The specs for that contactor (White Rodgers Contactor) say that it's 80 amp and continuous duty. That suggests that this may be the "Salesman's Switch" contactor. Flip your dc power switch in the cockpit to see if that energizes/de-energizes the contactor.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Thank you all for the info... i just took another fuller photo so you can see it with a better picture in mind. at the left side the larger pole is hot, meaning having 12v full time. The red wire at right side was my intended lead so i could get a key-on power. Now it's to no avail.

the two smaller poles in the middle do not register a voltage when key on (individually to ground).

myron - it is in engine compartment at passenger side below the tow control board.

Dave - i don't see a "salesman's switch", seems like no such dc switch on mine. do you see it on your rig? where is it?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Sorry, CountryFit, I should have been more precise. It's called the "House Battery Disconnect" switch. It's on the panel with the water pump switch, tank level readouts, etc.

It's moot anyway if you have no voltage on either of the small terminals and still have DC power in the coach. That says that contactor in question does not affect the availability of DC power to the house part of the coach.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #9

"Tow control board " may be a clue , and something my coach does not have. If your coach is set up for full trailer battery charging at the 7 pin trailer connector, this may be a control for the remote charge system.
Could be there is a built in delay that won't activate the solenoid till the engine is running to prevent engine starter draw, from pulling power from a trailer battery.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

I just replaced an identical solenoid and diode on my front run board.

That action was not necessary.

I created a better ground connection and solved the problem.

It was called the ignition solenoid on the schematics.

So check the ground connection to see if that might be the problem.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Sorry, CountryFit, I should have been more precise. It's called the "House Battery Disconnect" switch. It's on the panel with the water pump switch, tank level readouts, etc.

It's moot anyway if you have no voltage on either of the small terminals and still have DC power in the coach. That says that contactor in question does not affect the availability of DC power to the house part of the coach.
dave, looks like mine does not have the button of battery disconnect :(

Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
"Tow control board " may be a clue , and something my coach does not have. If your coach is set up for full trailer battery charging at the 7 pin trailer connector, this may be a control for the remote charge system.
Could be there is a built in delay that won't activate the solenoid till the engine is running to prevent engine starter draw, from pulling power from a trailer battery.
i am using the charge line for my toad. the 7-pole has one for that purpose and hot all the time even when engine is off.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I just replaced an identical solenoid and diode on my front run board.

That action was not necessary.

I created a better ground connection and solved the problem.

It was called the ignition solenoid on the schematics.

So check the ground connection to see if that might be the problem.
hi dean, i remember i read some posts talking about grounding issue... if just for this solenoid, i can take it out, clean the fastening claws and reseat it. i assume you are not talking about central grounding, correct? actually don't know where it is
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #14

The Heart Interface, looks like an add on to the panel, and may have been installed instead of the disconnect switch. Have you looked for power at the solenoid with that switch "ON " ?

As long as we're guessing , figured I'd keep going .