Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Kwikee Step Question

Yesterday my steps stopped working on my '01 Intrigue. Series 42 Kwikee steps.

So far I have determined that the motor is OK and does work but have not finished the complete diagnostics ( I just downloaded the trouble shooting procedure last night ) Will get back on it tomorrow when it's a little warmer out side.

Question is this: IF the controller is bad, can I just replace with updated controller or do I need to buy the complete updated motor and controller kit? From what I have read, this kit does not just bolt in like it should, it requires some adjusting to make it fit properly.

Has anyone already done this, and if so, how bad was it?

Thanks in advance!
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Stopped Working?

If the motor is good, then I would suspect the motor linkage and/or the side slides need to be cleaned and lubed.

That is a routine maintenance step and the steps not moving is a symptom.

I did replace the motor about 4 years ago. It is a Ford power window motor that is available on Ebay or Amazon much cheaper than from the Manufacturer. Except for lying on your back under the rig it was an easy replacement.

We have a frequent problem with the door magnet not activating the step movement. That generally requires a magnet touched to the door frame switch to wake up the steps or closing the door more firmly.

Door closed, steps in. Door open, steps out.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #3

There can be up to 3 fuses for the step. One for motor power (typically 20A) and one for step control (5 or 7.5A) and one for ignition signal to controller (5 or 7.5A). In my 2007 Allure step power and step control are in chassis fuse block and step ignition is is ignition fuse block - both in drivers run bay.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #4

The steps stuck in the open position, I got lucky as I was headed out the driveway to get fuel and heard them drag in the leaves and stopped before they hit anything.

They seem to move free (I removed the motor to get them to close so I could run get fuel so I could put the rig away for the winter) then started looking at this issue. Could not find any blown fuses but had to head into work before I finished diagnostics.

Tomorrow I plan to test all the circuits and test the switch for operation. It had been working perfectly, it suddenly refused to close. I did kill the batteries by mistake the other day, don't know if that has effected it or not, but I guess I will find out.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #5

With low battery voltage (killed batteries) current would probably exceed fuse rating and blow fuse(s). Power usage is volts times amps. Lower voltage needs higher amps to provide same power.

I suspect fuses.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #6

It turns out I have a bad door switch. It's beautiful outside today so I took the trouble shooting list outside and started at step #1 and everything checked out execept the switch. It appears to have been replaced before, so I will order two this time and keep a spare on hand. I did check, there is power getting to the switch, but it has failed in the open position.

I am happy as a dog with two.....wait, this is a family thread..LOL

Thanks for everyone's help and SPECIAL thanks to whomever posted the link to the Trouble shooting guide for Kwikee steps.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #7

Glad to hear it was something special
I down loaded the troubleshooting guide for future reference

Stay safe,
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
Yesterday my steps stopped working on my '01 Intrigue. Series 42 Kwikee steps.

So far I have determined that the motor is OK and does work but have not finished the complete diagnostics ( I just downloaded the trouble shooting procedure last night ) Will get back on it tomorrow when it's a little warmer out side.

Question is this: IF the controller is bad, can I just replace with updated controller or do I need to buy the complete updated motor and controller kit? From what I have read, this kit does not just bolt in like it should, it requires some adjusting to make it fit properly.

Has anyone already done this, and if so, how bad was it?

Thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem . Found just the controller on ebay .Quick plug and play.

Before purchasing the controller , take a magnet and run it by the door switch mounted to the door jamb. I have found those switches can go bad or go out of alignment and won't operate the steps.

If the magnet trips the stair into operation , try moving the switch magnet mounted to the door . It's normally attached with a double sided tape and over time , the jostling and vibration from driving can move the switch magnet out of alignment .

Could be an easy fix.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
Glad to hear it was something special
I down loaded the troubleshooting guide for future reference

Stay safe,
Greg
I printed off a hard copy and put in in the file with the step info for future ref.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I had a similar problem . Found just the controller on ebay .Quick plug and play.

Before purchasing the controller , take a magnet and run it by the door switch mounted to the door jamb. I have found those switches can go bad or go out of alignment and won't operate the steps.

If the magnet trips the stair into operation , try moving the switch magnet mounted to the door . It's normally attached with a double sided tape and over time , the jostling and vibration from driving can move the switch magnet out of alignment .

Could be an easy fix.
Thanks Bill, it did turn out to be the switch. I tried to trip it with a another magnet with no luck. Have two new ones on the way. A replacement and one for inventory. LOL
Old 12-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #11

To follow up, I installed the new switch today and lubed up the tracks good with some white grease. Steps work like that should and are much smoother than before. I also repainted the cover plate while I was waiting on the switches and replaced the foam padding, which I picked up at Lowe's pretty cheap. I think all it does it keep it from rattling while going down the road.

It pays to do a little trouble shooting. I was almost ready to order a new motor and controller and it turns out all I needed was a $20 switch.

Thanks for every ones help and for posting the trouble shooting guide, this place is a WEALTH of knowledge!
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199

Tags
kwikee