Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Leaking coolant fitting

Always something to fix on the giant Repair Vehicle . The coolant fitting in the pic has been 'fixed' by my local Cummins Coach Care dealer twice and still leaks. Initially, we thought a threaded elbow at the top was the culprit so they tightened it, installed new silicone hose (blue hose), new clamp. No fixy.

Second trip they said the hose needed to be snugged up on the elbow and clamp tightened. No fixy.

So, going back one more time and curious if anyone else with a CC has had similar issue. If there is a crack somewhere in this thing I cannot see it. It does appear to leak where the elbow (blue hose fitting) is threaded into the pipe. I am going to ask the Cummins guys to remove the fitting, clean the threads, coat well with Rectorseal and reinstall; unless they have a better idea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #2

We were on the side of the road this past September in Myrtle Beach with the same thing. We lost all our coolant. The Cummins guy put on a new clamp and that broke . ( I was driving behind and the car was covered in coolant) . We made it to the cummins dealership and they put on a new hose, etc like yours. I think having them take it all off and clean etc is a great idea. Hopefully that works. So far so good on ours.

Sheila and Roger
04 Country Coach Allure
Sammy, Ozzie and Lola the fur kids
swedegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

You might try this approach:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...-repair-detail

I used this product about 7 years ago to avoid paying Cummins their $1700 to $2100 parts changing estimate to replace my gear cover gasket.

It is still working today. $6 vs $1700 is a good deal in my world.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
You might try this approach:

Sealants : Permatex® Spray Sealant Leak Repair

I used this product about 7 years ago to avoid paying Cummins their $1700 to $2100 parts changing estimate to replace my gear cover gasket.

It is still working today. $6 vs $1700 is a good deal in my world.
Tell me more about this. Are you referring to the timing chain/gear cover? If so, I have a slow leak around that gasket and another on the oil pan gasket. What kind of surface prep is needed to get this stuff to work?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #5

Had the same problem with ours. I drained the coolant into a small inflatable kid pool, removed the fitting, cleaned it up and place a good amount of Teflon tape on the threads and still had the problem. There was a lot of corrosion inside the threads on the pipe. Looked like there was no sealant applied at the factory. Tried a few other things, nothing seemed to work. I finally removed the large hose clamp and installed two regular clamps with the worm gears on opposite sides of the hose. That fixed the problem. The threads were leaking originally also.

Good luck,
Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
Had the same problem with ours. I drained the coolant into a small inflatable kid pool, removed the fitting, cleaned it up and place a good amount of Teflon tape on the threads and still had the problem. There was a lot of corrosion inside the threads on the pipe. Looked like there was no sealant applied at the factory. Tried a few other things, nothing seemed to work. I finally removed the large hose clamp and installed two regular clamps with the worm gears on opposite sides of the hose. That fixed the problem. The threads were leaking originally also.

Good luck,
I have pretty much decided to ask them to do same....remove the entire assembly, take it apart, clean it up, and use a good sealant on the threaded fittings. Mines seems to be leaking at the top fitting not around any of the hoses. I'd do it myself but since Cummins charged me for the initial fix, their response has been to apologize and tell me they will fix it no charge.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Tell me more about this. Are you referring to the timing chain/gear cover? If so, I have a slow leak around that gasket and another on the oil pan gasket. What kind of surface prep is needed to get this stuff to work?
Yes. On my C8.3L it is the cover that fronts the injection pump so it is difficult to see behind the cover where the exact oil seepage was.

I used a couple of doses of brake cleaner on that area and tried to wipe it clean.

Then I sprayed the Permatex all around the back of the cover, as best I could, three times.

No leaks since.

I am not even qualified as a shade-tree-mechanic so try the process at your own risk.

The Permatex solution was provided by another RV.net member at the time. He learned it from a relative who had a fleet of trucks if I recall. His repair was successful.

I suspect it might work on the oil pan gasket also. However, replacing the oil pan gasket might be a cheaper fix than the gear cover gasket replacement cost estimate.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #8

I had a bunch of coolant hose replace at a Cummins dealer. I had to take it back 3 times. The first time they tightened all the clamps to specs. They leaked. They tightened them more and they still leaked. The third time was the charm. I wasn't happy about that. But that's the only issue I've had with them and I have been using Cummins Dealer for coach service for years
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
I had a bunch of coolant hose replace at a Cummins dealer. I had to take it back 3 times. The first time they tightened all the clamps to specs. They leaked. They tightened them more and they still leaked. The third time was the charm. I wasn't happy about that. But that's the only issue I've had with them and I have been using Cummins Dealer for coach service for years
I've had a couple of glitches with my local Cummins shop. First time I ever had service there their mechanic did not lube the chassis but I was charged for it. They apologized profusely, did the lube and gave me a $75 credit for future work. They have always been courteous and I think they want to be fair and efficient. They have my coach now and I am hoping the third time is the charm on this coolant leak.

Tags
leak