Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

Leaking solenoid pack affecting HWH leveling

Yesterday after driving 500 yards to dump my HWH air leveling system is losing air when level in the front very slowly loses maybe an inch or less every 30 minutes then re- levels. This is all very sudden after being camped here for months. I had hit the air purge valve when I parked. So I went underneath to look for leaks and found that this solenoid pack or whatever it is is leaking like mad. What is this? Is it connected to the air system in such a way that if it's leaking it would cause the air bags in the front to lose air when the HWH leveling system has taken over? It would appear that it does, since when I open that yellow handle valve when the HWH system is level, I believe the coach sinks very slowly in the front. Is this part of the HWH system? Or is this something that any big truck repair place can get? There appear to be plastic airlines coming into it. Air is leaking out of the solenoid wires themselves. Is this the kind of thing where you buy the solenoid or do you need to buy the whole block?

Rich 2002 Magna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170402_075546970.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	156888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170402_075610030.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	156889  

birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

What is the temperature where you are. We had this happen recently and it was near freezing temps. We took the hair dryer out and ran it on the valve for about two minutes. The air started to slow down immediately and within a few minutes it had stopped leaking. I guess the valve had stuck while we were parked. The valve was on an arm that connected to the suspension. Its part of the air ride. Never had any more trouble with it. I guess moisture in the air system froze.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

Have you drained the air tanks, any water or moisture. Has the air drier been changed? System needs clean air to work right.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #4

I am in Arizona it is above freezing. There is no moisture in the system. The air dryer was replaced nine months ago. there are three or four solenoids air is coming out around the wires and all over the place. I had a friend come push buttons these solenoids are related to The Purge system without a doubt.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

A few hour later update. There is no more air leaking out of that solenoid block. If I open the valve it is empty. Tank gauges show hundred and twenty pounds stable. The leveling system is happy now. Dead level, front way up as it needs to be and the auxiliary pump has not come on for hours. I am baffled. Apparently the leveling system is happy when there's no air in this air purge set up. The air system in this coach is so complex it is beyond my knowledge. I guess eventually I will start the engine and see if I have leakage out of this solenoid pack or whatever it is. Seems like it shouldn't be leaking.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
A few hour later update. There is no more air leaking out of that solenoid block. If I open the valve it is empty. Tank gauges show hundred and twenty pounds stable. The leveling system is happy now. Dead level, front way up as it needs to be and the auxiliary pump has not come on for hours. I am baffled. Apparently the leveling system is happy when there's no air in this air purge set up. The air system in this coach is so complex it is beyond my knowledge. I guess eventually I will start the engine and see if I have leakage out of this solenoid pack or whatever it is. Seems like it shouldn't be leaking.

You are correct that the system should not be leaking. However, the system is designed to always be under pressure, not zero pressure. Opening the manual 1/4 turn valve will only allow air to escape if the electrical solenoid is also open. The reason the manual valve was installed is so there is a way to close the line in the event the electric solenoid leaks or gets stuck open. Rust, corrosion or debris in the lines or air tank can easily get caught in the solenoid, especially when purging the system. I would be willing to bet some debris got caught in the solenoid causing it be stuck partially open. After cycling it several times the debris may have cleared and the solenoid is now working properly again. When everything is working properly the manual valves are meant to be left in the open position.

It's important to purge the system frequently, even in dry environments, to prevent moisture from accumulating in the tanks. Moisture in the tanks over time will cause rust and corrosion which is very difficult to clean out of the system. You are likely to see this happen again on occasion which only emphasizes the importance of regularly purging the tanks. Don't avoid purging the tanks in an effort to avoid this happening again.

If you do experience an air leak at the valve again and you are not able to stop the leak by turning off for closing the manual valve then you should plan to replace the solenoid valve on that line.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
Commercial Member

rich, i do not believe thats a hwh part. it appears to be part of the chassis air system.
i have never worked on, or replaced a part like that.
you may be able to get it from the chassis mfg, or one of their service centers.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #8

Country Coach/Winnebago calls those the "6 pack". PO on my coach had one completely overhauled there.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #9

I have ordered those parts from HWH before. However, they are not manufactured by HWH and I think that could be obtained from multiple sources including Country Coach. In my case the chassis was provided by Gillig to Country Coach who, in turn, installed the HWH leveling system. As a result, GILLIAN was unable to provide those particular parts for my coach and I ended up ordering them from HWH.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #10

Gillig, not GILLIAN.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
You are correct that the system should not be leaking. However, the system is designed to always be under pressure, not zero pressure. Opening the manual 1/4 turn valve will only allow air to escape if the electrical solenoid is also open. The reason the manual valve was installed is so there is a way to close the line in the event the electric solenoid leaks or gets stuck open. Rust, corrosion or debris in the lines or air tank can easily get caught in the solenoid, especially when purging the system. I would be willing to bet some debris got caught in the solenoid causing it be stuck partially open. After cycling it several times the debris may have cleared and the solenoid is now working properly again. When everything is working properly the manual valves are meant to be left in the open position.

It's important to purge the system frequently, even in dry environments, to prevent moisture from accumulating in the tanks. Moisture in the tanks over time will cause rust and corrosion which is very difficult to clean out of the system. You are likely to see this happen again on occasion which only emphasizes the importance of regularly purging the tanks. Don't avoid purging the tanks in an effort to avoid this happening again.

If you do experience an air leak at the valve again and you are not able to stop the leak by turning off for closing the manual valve then you should plan to replace the solenoid valve on that line.
Thanks so much that is very helpful. So to be clear: you're saying that little yellow handled manual valve should be left open under normal circumstances? It's only to be closed when the solenoids are stuck in the open position? Oh no! So since someone closed​ that valve God knows how long ago it cannot purge out of there I presume, even though I regularly Hit The Purge button.

Regardless, things are leaking all over the place around those solenoids and the block and that's not good. I appreciate all the leads from everyone as to where to purchase the six pack I will call Country Coach Winnebago. I'll bet Colton truck has them and also apparently HWH. A gentlemen on the other country coach site told me tonight that it can be repaired with five O rings. I'm going to talk with him tomorrow.

Can anyone explain why this affected my leveling system temporarily?

Rich
Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #12

Yes, you are correct in that the manual valve should be left in the open position as long as the solenoid is working properly. Sounds like you have a solenoid that needs to be replaced. You are correct in that that particular line cannot be purged if the valve is in the closed position. I would open that manual valve and purge it as much as possible to clear out whatever can be cleared and then close it until you can replace the solenoid (other than reopening it to purge it on occasion). You are also correct in that it will not purge that particular line if the manual valve is closed.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Commercial Member

if its an hwh manifold, there should be some part numbers on it somewhere. model starts with AP
ive learned to never day never about hwh parts and systems. its just ive never worked on that configuration before.
on the aluminum air level manifolds, there can be corrosion under the valve seat,and under the rubber o ring causing the leak.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #14

Will do. Thanks!

Tags
leveling, solenoid, hwh, leak