Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
LED Lighting

I have a few bulbs in my ceiling that are out and would like to replace them with LEDs. I took a bulb out to see what kind/size it is, but don't see any numbers on the two pin seemingly Halogen bulb.
Has anyone replaced theirs and if so, would like to know more about where you obtained the LEDs and what kind?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There many sites. CW on line, little pricy but they have the brite white that's great in darker areas. For most of the bus I used the soft white which is a match for the halogens. Check out a search on Amazon you'll find them, believe their 5 lumens. Some of the Chinese ones, less expensive brands if they don't work reverse the pins and they'll be ok. Took me awhile to figure this out.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They have 5 and 10 watt bulb LEDs. Ordered 40 of them from Amazon a week or so ago. Takes a while to get here from China though. Can't see paying $7 a bulb but may find out I should have!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #4

These LED lights are all over the internet. Some folks have stated they got a great deal on Ebay also. Here's a couple of links. There are many others.

G4 Double Pin Retrofit LED Lights
and
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-bi-pin/

Just make sure you get the correct color temp for what you want. A Kelvin temp of about 3,100 to 3,500, also called "Warm White", will be close to the lights you are removing. If you want a Whiter light go to a higher color temp of 4,500 "Cool White" or so. You can find some that go all the way into the 6,500 "Too White" range but much too bright for inside the coach. You might want to order one and give it a try before buying a bunch of them then not liking to color. Been there done that!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you, all, for your input!
I also found this on eBay:
10x 12V AC DC G4 Base Disc Type Side Pin 24 SMD Reading Marine Boat RV LED Light | eBay

Do you know if they are dimmable?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
10x 12V AC DC G4 Base Disc Type Side Pin 24 SMD Reading Marine Boat RV LED Light | eBay

The auction says they are with the correct dimmer controller.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
They have 5 and 10 watt bulb LEDs. Ordered 40 of them from Amazon a week or so ago. Takes a while to get here from China though. Can't see paying $7 a bulb but may find out I should have!
Here are the ones I ordered from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PHYMSPE/...140_TE_3p_dp_1
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

If the lights are going into the ceiling puck lights clearance is a problem .I tried several and some had very little capacitors on the back side while others were larger and made contact.I had trouble finding the correct color so never really settled. Kevin sent me a couple that I liked the fit.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #9

Quote:

What I have learned about LEDs is that there are a bunch of "cheap" lights out there and there are "quality" lights out there. My experience is that you are getting what you pay for.

My puck lights under the upper cabinets have the very small halogen bulbs. If you try to replace the halogen with these referred to on ebay, the round disc bottoms out against the inside of the light fixture before the electrical pins engage with power. These lights referred to are "side pins", used on a fixture with a side pin receptical. The puck lights would take what's called a "back pin" and I have not found any that are small enough to fit the fixture. I know CC changes their fixtures all the time so some of these may fit your fixture and won't fit mine.

On LEDs, the "cheap" ones have the lights mounted on some type of fiber board that within weeks will turn brown or black from the heat dissipated from the lights. A friend tried to go the cheap route and within a month he was replacing all that he bought.

The good LEDs have an aluminum "heat sink" that the lights are attached to and they are good but expensive. I have not found any of those that will fit my puck lights. I recently found some puck lights with LEDs in one unit for under $16 and may end up getting those but want to research them further before spending the money. We don't use our puck lights very often so am not in a hurry.

I did change out all my florescent lights and could not be happier with the results. Only problem I had is that CC uses expensive fixtures and I had to take them off the ceiling and drill the rivets off, modify the lights by removing the ballasts, then putting the lights together again and rivet them shut. Once I did one in 3 hours, the other 10 went pretty easy and only took about 3 to 4 hours to do them all. I now turn all the florescents on and touch the outer lense after a couple hours and the plastic is not even warm so I'm pleased with the results.

I also replaced the bathroom above the sink lights with LEDs and the significant other loves the difference. Again, these have an aluminum base and frame that acts as a heat sink.

The site I used was M4products.com and they're out of So. California. There are probably many other locations to purchase them and I know there are many that carry inferior products. I can state with certainty that M4 will answer any questions you have and will stand behind their products.

From what I've read, some LEDs are polarity sensitive and others are not. Also, some are dimmable and others are not. You have to research exactly what you are buying.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them based on my limited knowledge and I am not an expert by any means.

Hope this helps. :-) joe
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #10

http://www.cabinbright.com/ and M4 Products are two excellent sources for LED bulbs. Yes, they're more expensive than the multitudes of products you'll find on EBay, but they will work as advertised and both companies stand behind their products.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
srh

Newmar Owners Club
barclay7568: What year and model is your CC? I have several of these, see pic below and they are about 2 inches in diameter and about half an inch deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455[1].jpg
Views:	100
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	92143  
Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Thanks, Mr_D. Let me know how they look and whether they fit, when you get them.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought them from China on the Alibaba web site. Inexpensive, good quality, and dimmable.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/led-...ct-238761.html
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
barclay7568: What year and model is your CC? I have several of these, see pic below and they are about 2 inches in diameter and about half an inch deep.

srh: I have an 04 Allure, 36'. and do not have any of the lights you have photos of. Mine are sunken halogens under the upper cabinets in the bedroom, living room and kitchen table area. The fixture openings in the cabinet are @ 2 5/8" and @ 1.5" deep. Hope this helps.
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light