Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Lithium Battery for the 2002 CC Allure

Came across this battery, great specs and price.

https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4...-3-passed.aspx

Two of these in combination with changing coach interior lighting to LED and TVs to energy efficient flat screens would seem to provide a lot of dry camping capacity.

Looking at the specs I see no reason why these would work fine with the float charger system on my CC. I would keep the lead acid engine battery. However the description seems to say no to this.

The Battle Born lithiums supposedly work fine with the lead acid charge system.

https://www.solar-electric.com/battl...iABEgJlOfD_BwE

Looks like the float charge voltage of the coach system may be a bit high but is it adjustable?

What do you think?
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

I don't know what inverter/charger you have in your year coach but I had to replace my Xantrex because it did not have an adjustable float charge level. Keeping your lead acid chassis batteries isn't a problem as they get charged by the engine alternator regulator or, if you have one, a separate charge controller that is powered by shore power or generator power. Basically, lithium batteries only want bulk charge to get them nearly full and then float charge to finish. A "little" too much float charge can over stress your batteries needlessly which can shorten their life or worse.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

I just upgraded my coach to Lithium batteries. You can read about it here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/lith...ex-448508.html

There are no drop in replacement lithium batteries for AGM or Flooded. Do not believe the hype. Settings must be changed for ideal charging and health of lithium batteries.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Community Moderator

If you don't want to upgrade your inverter to li compatible, you will be able to get by with it, but be noted that it is not optimized and likely shortens the life span of your li batts. Lifepo4 works best with CC/CV charge profile but your existing inverter (assuming Freedom 20D or similar) could only offer LA or AGM charge profile that keeps float after full.

Your chassis battery is charged from alternator and/or echo charger from house batts. There will be no difference whether your house battery is AGM/LA or Lfp.

No doubt LFP has so much more to offer.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

How would one check the alternator? Would it be the same procedure as a auto?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
How would one check the alternator? Would it be the same procedure as a auto?
Same as on a car. When engine is off and no echo charge (turn house battery cutoff switch to off), you should read chassis battery about 12.6v when full. With engine idling, the voltage should climb to about 14v.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful this is a Chinese made battery. What is its warranty? What kind of support will this company give you? I would spend more money and get your battery from Battleborne. The provide a 10 year warranty and the also have low temp protection, A properly built battery with proper protection should last over 10 years if treated properly.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
Be careful this is a Chinese made battery. What is its warranty? What kind of support will this company give you? I would spend more money and get your battery from Battleborne. The provide a 10 year warranty and the also have low temp protection, A properly built battery with proper protection should last over 10 years if treated properly.
Hi Ron - I know Battle Born are in Reno, NV, and they say Made in USA. But I wonder if you know if they actually fabricate their own batteries, vs assemble them?

A few months ago, I was helping a friend decide between Battle Born and LifeBlue's. (He also looked at Reology(SP?) too.). I google Battle Born's address, and the picture of the small part of the building they occupy, and next to a diner, looks more like a warehouse then an actual factory where Lithium Packs are manufactured. It may be big enough in side for assembly of components. I asked around with some others who know much more about batteries then I do, and they said the suspect that they are 'Assembling in the USA vs Making in the USA' - and their bet was the actual lithium battery sub cells are from China.

NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE... asking if you know if Battle Born 'fabricates' their own lithium battery cells?

And I'm one that knows from the HiFi hobby I have, that working with he proper supplier, and having the proper source control and and onsite oversight/inspection process - that China has many outstanding high quality components of HiFi equipment, many embedded or with the name of very well known England, French, Italy, German HiFi brands. So if the right sourcing is done on lithium battery cells from China, I'd see zero problems with this...

TIA, and best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Smitty - that's exactly what I have heard/read - the cells in Battleborn are actually Chinese products. There was a long thread in this board talked about it sometime ago.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Smitty - that's exactly what I have heard/read - the cells in Battleborn are actually Chinese products. There was a long thread in this board talked about it sometime ago.
There internal BMS is also made in China.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

OP - No knowledge on the batteries you're looking at. The spec's are fine, for size/weight vs AH's available. No comment of pricing, as it's been about 16 months since I researched prices, and had determined I'd go with Lifeblue at that time. I like the BMS being developed by those that are providing the warranty!I'd thought I'd go at that time with X's 2 300AH's, but now since I'm going to set up one of the AC's to run off the bank, I'd go with X's 3 200AH's, to increase the available max AH's out capacity. Also since then. Lifeblue has a new battery capable of cooler temperature running.

I'd suggest keep doing more research on the batteries your looking at. And if you decide to go with them, please let us know your decision points!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
There internal BMS is also made in China.
Here you go! I think so too.

Tags
battery, lithium