Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #1

Unhappy Load Meter - EMS System

The indicator lights have bugged me for 5 years and I just have to ask for all your help.

We normally plug into a 50 AM circuit and after the transfer switch passes the current, the load meter will show 50 AMP service and all the loads will be lit.

So, every once in a while the light for 50 AMPS goes out and the "Gen Set" light will come on. Why is it coming on and what is it doing?

Sitting here in AZ (on purpose) every once in a while all the lights on the EMS panel go out. We still have seem to have all the AC, not sure if I am suppose to be doing something, sure would like to understand more. Please help me.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

No question about it. This is when 'they' fly in overhead on their way to New Mexico. Being invisible, you can't see them. Interferes with all kinds of things. (Heck, I've been know to buy Merlot instead of Cabernet during these kinds of events - Oh, the inhumanity of it all...)

You might want to go around and snug up all wire feeds (And yes, power and inverter and all battery sources OFF!. Also check grounds that contact to frame.
A loose wire could cause these kinds of intermittent problem. And as you read in other threads, they sure can vibrate loose over the years. I do a yearly maintenance review of all the electric fittings that I know of...

Will follow this thread, to see what other input you get, and see if something is 'root caused' found to be the problem.

Best of luck to you! (Now excuse me, as they're Mulder and Sully have been seen in the area. Something about a hoax about some eclipse thing going here in Oregon! I'm sure, the truth is out...),
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

I have had 2 service centers check the circuit board for the EMS panel and they found nothing wrong. I am thinking that I might have OMC take a look at it, come May. The DW is struggling with the heat here in AZ, but is doing her best to live thru this. I think the air is taking its toll on the 50 amps. So when the EMS panel goes blank, I just listen for the air to keep going.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #4

Just a guess but it could be the line voltage to the park pedestal is dropping do to other rigs using power at the same time to a point the gen starts. Not sure you have settings on your equipment to check.When it happens you could check the pedestal voltage to rule it out.
Good luck
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Hmmmmm. Gremlins in the Intellitec EMS... I have my own... Coach 31563. I wonder if its software in the system.

My first issue is with 50A and when the generator starts - I have NO generator indication. My knowledge is that a blank display is normal with 50A shore power (240 between L1 and L2, according to online manual). Supposedly a 12V signal is sent from gen run status to indicate generator status.

My second issue is with 50A shore power - my display lights up and I drop out water heater element (intermittently) for no reason at all.....

Gremlins. I keep my fingers crossed as well...

Subscribed to this thread.....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought I was having an issue with my Intellitec EMS couple of years ago. Honestly can't remember exactly what it was doing but IIRC, the system was dropping off and triggering my AGS. Called Butch Williams (at Kevin Waite's suggestion since Butch is the electrical expert on CC's) and Butch told me the system had a reputation for developing gremlins and he said it was fairly easy to remove the load sense modules from the service panel and just do without it. His feeling was most of us had enough sense to do our own load shedding if we were on reduced power.

So we planned to make an appointment this past January at Butch's shop in Lakeland, FL but the problem just went away and it has worked fine since.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

Its nice to know you are not alone in the universe, thank you. Poked around on Goggle yesterday, discovered there are different versions. So now will try to figure out which one I have.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #8

Not up on the Intellitec EMS. But I do recommend having an EMS in the system. If this unit its bypassed, then adding a Progressive unit (Pole, or hard wired on the inside.) would be good investment. (My era 04 had the TRC system, and it is currently still inside our coach. It's a plug in unit, that CC installed back behind the bedroom TV cabinet and you look in to see the light communication thu a plexiglass panel in the closet. Not real convenient to monitor.). I also bought a lightly used former members Progressive EMS as back up. Still think I'll put this in place of the Progressive, and keep it as my back up. Will put this unit on the inside of the closet wall, so it will be easier to monitor.

And that was a great observation that power could be getting low enough to confuse your system, but not low enough to shut power off. Many parks have marginal power supply when all sites are on heavy draw condition.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

A couple of things:
I had ask this question back in 2014 and I am still curious about and have been to many different RV parks and have had the same problem.
I remember a long time ago when I was working, someone putting a device that was printing out the volts/amps etc. I suppose one could find that device.
Since this RV park I am in has over 2 thousand spaces and virtually no one except us and some full timers, I kind of don't suspect power.
I really think it points to the load sharing and the way it thinks it should be. Maybe they have a updated version of the board.
I will be curious about this till its fixed.

Tags
ems