Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #1

LONG Info 2000 Magna steering gear box

Just had to replace the steering gear box on my 2000 Magna. The seal on the pitman arm shaft began leaking and I lost about 3 quarts of hydraulic fluid in about 90 miles. What a mess on the side of the coach and the toad.

This was not a pleasant experience from a time and cost standpoint. Now that the gear box has been replaced I find the steering wheel easier to turn and I no longer have a groaning noise when I make sharp turns.

The shop I used bent over backwards trying to get me back on the road but there were several unforeseen delays that added several days to my downtime.

Here's what you need to know.

The steering gear box is a Sheppard M110. Only remanufactured units are available and Sheppard will rebuild one for you when you give them your credit card number. Takes 5 days to rebuild and then it is shipped freight to your location. They do not stock rebuilt units so at a minimum you will be down about 8 or 9 days depending on shipping.

The M110 is a heavier duty unit than what is used on today's semi trucks. The pitman arm will need an M110 pitman arm puller. The one the shop ordered by overnight delivery didn't fit properly and they had to take it to a machine shop for alterations.

All in all, I was down for 2 weeks. The reman unit cost $1565 with freight. I am supposed to get a $450 rebate after sending the old unit back. But freight to send the unit back will be about $100.

Should you have the same misfortune I would suggest the following.

After you find a shop to do the work have them determine as soon as possible if you will need a rebuilt gear box and if so, get it ordered; there is very little likelihood that a rebuilt unit can be found. See if they have the proper tool to pull the pitman arm off the sector shaft. If not get one ordered promptly and check that it will do the job as soon as it comes in.

Be prepared for a lot of grunting and groaning and a mess under your motor home. The gear box weighs 135 pounds and cannot be handled by hand during installation. A floor jack or something similar will be needed. There will be hydraulic fluid spilled and with the limited clearance, the gear box is almost impossible to remove. In my case they had to cut and remove a piece of 1-1/2" square tubing to allow the box to be removed. Of course this had to be patched and reinstalled after the new box was installed.

One of my fittings leaked after installing the new box and a new one had to be located. I would suggest you request new fittings and get them in hand while waiting on the rebuilt box. On my coach, one fitting is straight and the other is an elbow.

This is a nasty, dirty job so expect some dirt and grime to be on the outside of the coach. I stayed with the coach during the work and anytime the coach needed starting I was the one that entered the coach and if needed moved it around the facility.

Total labor for the job was about $900 and about 8 quarts or so of hydraulic fluid. I stayed in the coach for a few nights but the tanks were beginning to fill up and I had to go to a hotel. Hotel expenses were over $1000. I also spent a lot of money on food and beer. The beer was just needed. It really was.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #2

What a nightmare! And a very expensive one at that.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
As a Magna 2000 owner I need to be aware of potential problem. Your post should be aded to the CCI Tech section. Job would be much easier with your post in hand. Thanks for the detailed description.

Jack
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #4

Another source for rebuilt Sheppard steering gears is WELLER TRUCK PARTS | WELLER REMAN. They had a rebuilt one in stock when mine sprang a leak, M100. Shipped the next day.

And had to use a Posi Lock 106 Manual Puller to get the pitman arm off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0A5_1_20130131110215078.jpg.png
Views:	61
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	201515  
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #5

Mark - Good info for the M100 but Weller didn't have the M110 for my coach and we ended up going to Sheppard and unlike Weller, Sheppard does not stock rebuilt gear boxes.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
... unlike Weller, Sheppard does not stock rebuilt gear boxes.
Yeah that was one of two reasons I went with Weller, time. I am certain you can guess the other.
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering