Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Looking at a 2003 32' Allure.. Any advice?

I have been looking for a long time for this coach and I finally found one for sale for a good price. It has the opposing living room slides. I have heard people complain about the handling characteristics of short coaches like this. I would love to hear from those who actually own one. Also are there any known problems that I should be aware of? I know radiators were an issue in some country coaches. Was this coach one that had those issues?
evotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

The short wheelbase makes for an inherently less stable platform from a pure physics point. That said, I have talked to owners that didn't feel it was a concern. Personally, I would be a bit concerned in heavy crosswind. The radiators were not a problem until later years. Check all rubber hoses carefully, especially hydraulic hoses.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
If you think to long about this coach, someone else will buy it. The 32ft CC is a very desirable coach and do fetch a premium price for their size.

I don't own one but did have a chance to deliver one back home for a friend. The coach handled very well and I felt comfortable driving it for the 200 miles I put on it. It really didn't feel much different than driving mu 40ft coach. As far as wind, you have less surface area in the wind but it will still be affected but I wouldn't be concerned.

For me, I wouldn't worry about the radiator as other brand coaches also have aluminum radiators and can fail also. Tires might be an issue if they are not within a reasonable date code but same with other coaches. Batteries fall into the same category as a wear item. Clear coat peeling could be an issue but here again, it happens to other coaches also.

There were a few 32 footers that were built with the 400 ISL motor and those things are a hot rod. I'd like to have one.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #4

Yes to Don's feedback on not snoozing too long, as they move quick!

I'd do the normal pre inspection that you would with any coach of this era. Hire a pro, if you are not comfortable in doing so. Oil/Trans analysis is money well spent. (But, check the records (Hope they have them!) and if it was recently changed, be sure their's some miles on the oil before doing the sample.))

Make a list of items that concern you, and used those as bargaining points to come up with a fair deal. Keep some budget aside to do any maintenance catch up items that maybe needed, and any customizing to what you may want.

I'd hav zero concern on the handling, as I've heard many 32-34' CC owners say they felt comfortable while driving their rigs..

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Evotech: We have an 04 Allure, built in 03, first sold in 2/05, 36' with duo slides on driver's side, and a 370 ISL engine. Ours drives like a dream and we've had no major issues and only a few smaller issues. We keep it parked inside a barn in the winter and people think it's 2 years old. I would not hesitate to buy another from this era. We've had about 6 business cards put under the wiper when we've been away from the coach during the day from dealers wanting to buy the coach. I've never called them back since I'm not interested in selling. What would I buy that's better than the one I know? If you look at the sales ads, very very few are for sale below 40' to 45' so I know when the shorter ones go up for sale, they must go quickly. Hope this helps in your decision.
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

barclay7568 - 36' coach has different chassis length to house ratio compared to 32'. 36' has a better ratio.

I don't own a 32'. But I was sitting with Ron Lee about 2 years ago in the Country Coach waiting lounge with a couple of other people when the discussion went to the 32' coaches. Ron smiled and said, "Yes those short 32' footers were a bit twitchy.". He owns Country Coach and that was his comment.

The reason there is a difference between long chassis compared to the length of the house is simple physics. The longer the handle of a lever is the more force it exerts. When you have a long chassis compared to a house length the lever is shorter. So less force exerted on the wheels which are connected to the pavement. Therefore, everything else being equal a longer chassis to house % coach will be more stable when you steer to change direction or winds exert pressure on the house. Things like sidewinds or truck wash.

Of course everything is not always equal. So you can compensate by putting tires that have a larger contact patch on. And maybe the ratio on the short coaches have handling that is OK for you. Obviously the handling on 32' CC's is OK for a number of people as they have said so on this forum before. But the key is your level of comfort.

In my own personal experience when we test drove many coaches 5 1/2 years ago wanting to buy one handling was an area I was very concerned with as our previous coach did not like cross winds or truck wash. It was my experience that coaches with longer % ratios of chassis to house felt more secure on the freeway at normal speeds. The coach that we bought was longer than we wanted because I loved the way it drove. It felt like it was a locomotive going down the road. Still does. And I still love driving it. We also have a tag axle which improves handling more.

Hope that helps. Go out and drive some short ones. If they drive OK then you are set.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this conversation. Unfortunately I found out that the coach has been wrecked and then rebuilt. I knew it was too good to be true!
evotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice