Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looking At Purchasing An Intrique

I'm looking at purchasing a 05-06 40' Intrique. I have owned two other motorhomes but the Country Coach is new to me. Are there any known problems I should look for? I've always like the appearance of these motorhomes and would like to move up to something such as an Intrique.
Brinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
There are no known problems with the coach. The most important thing to check is if the engine has a PTO and if it does, make sure that the "wet kit" has been installed. If the kit isn't installed, and you buy the coach, get installed ASAP. Otherwise you can be going down the road and all of a sudden, you will not have power steering.

The kit isn't expensive and is easily installed.

Here is a link to a guy that sells and installs the kit. CHELSEA PTO
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
Ditto dons2346 regarding the PTO, but experience has shown us the potential for quite a few issues!! If there is ANY dampness or sign of water leaks, investigate closely. We saw a bit of dampness around our front door, and I saw a drip mark from a wall sconce but convinced myself that someone had just spilled soda or tea and it wiped right up. Yes, it wiped up, but it turns out that the drip was from the dry rotted (why do they call it dry? It's very wet!) walls and we had the entire slide rebuilt from the metal up. As far as possible, push on the walls around the windows, the toll window, and around the door frame. Any softness is a bad sign.

Having said all that, the Intrigue is a beautiful coach. Because our coach had a lot of lot rot from going from one dealer to another, primarily in the southern states, there was a lot of repair work that had to be done. Also of importance would be checking all the rubber on the slides, and making sure that there are no gaps in the trim around the slides.

Finally, I would definitely stick with the 06 - 07 Intrigue because it is the first year Intrigues were built on the Magna Chassis.

We have heard from friends in the industry that post 07 Country Coaches had a bit of sabotage going on from disgruntled employees . . . I'd stay away from newer than that. Good luck! They're a beautiful coach!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
One of the coach's I was looking at was an 05, so should I shy away from it? Also, what type of mileage could I expect from a 525 Cat?

thanks for the info,
Brinson
Brinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I would not be afraid to buy a '05. I would guess the MPG to be in the 5-7 range.Ifg you are worried about fuel mileage, better look at the Sprinters with the MB motor.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #6

I'll add my thumbs up too. Good overall coaches.

Yep on the PTO check.
Also add in the radiator check to see if it is aluminum. (As I recall, higher odd's that it is with the Big Cat)

Both of these are items to know going in. If not yet repaired or handled, negotiate as if they will need to be. High price items if a PTO goes bad, and same with the radiator. (Good info on the CC Yahoo User group, with links and pictures. Search is a powerful tool here, and on CC Yahoo User group too.)

On Dry Rot. Any coach, from lowest cost to highest cost - can have problems if the leaking conditions are not taken care of in a timely method. Good advice to inspect accordingly, but this goes for all coaches.

I recommend a full mechanical Independent Inspection (unless you are on top of all the areas). Either case, I would get an oil and probably trans fluid analysis. Normal things you know, like check and understand tires.

I will also comment that the Allure-Magna lines, had the same basic chassis. Not clear about the statement on the Intrigue being on the same chassis as the Magna - as not much difference between them that I know of. (Sure could be wrong!

I suggest a look at Damon Rapozo's site on Country Coach lines. Good info to get standard vs options of different years and models of Country Coach.

When looking for an Intrigue, you can quite often find models with the Cummins ISL or the optional Big Block Cat's. I like the Big Block Cats (though I drive with the ISL in my 04 Allure, and it gets the job done), as the engines are just not working as hard as the mid size ISL (and C9 Cat)... If you keep your foot out of it, quite often the easier working Big Block (Cummins ISM/ISX are Big Blocks too) - will yield comparable MPG with the mid size engines. But, when needed, you have the extra HP/Torque available. And the Jake Brakes of the Big Blocks do provide better braking power then the large mid blocks. (These are general comments, and as always, you need to do the math on power to weight ratios. I was surprised that in the 04 Allure with ISL370, had a better power to weight ratio then the 04 Intrigue with Big Cat. The big blocks require bigger transmissions (4000), bigger cooling, bigger differentials, etc. Now the 04 Allure did not offer a Cat Big Block as an option, and much of the overall weight of the Intrigue was also with higher coach content, making the Intrigue with Big Block's ratio lower then the Allures... Hope I said that right, as I know what I meant to say! Bottom line, is in 'like rigs', if you locate a clean one with the Big Block, don't shy away from it!

Best of luck on your search...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #7

Hi Smitty, I was wondering if you would be willing to contact me and share some advise and info on your coach as we just put some mone down on a 2004 intrigue and have some questions. Thanks Dave

ps or anyone else for that matter!!
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #8

Brinson,
I PM’ed you just a little bit ago.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

Enjoy the new coach, we have a 2004 Allure have been very happy with it, a few minor problems nothing major. As with every coach there is always something to fix, overall and excellent quality coach. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote