Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Looking Hard at 2005 Intrigue Ovation LE

I need some last minute advice, please.

We've found an '05 Ovation Limited Edition "Nairobi" and we've gotten serious about it. She's got the big 525 HP Cat and inside and outside appearances indicate that she's been taken care of very well. I will check the records (several boxes) and I'm lining up an inspector to do a thorough check (including engine/transmission fluids).

I know about the PTO lubrication issue and I'll find out if it's been wet-modified or not.

Is there anything else I need to take a hard look at? The inspection I buy will be the most thorough, but I figure there are still some things I need to know about, too.

Your help is most appreciated!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
I need some last minute advice, please.

We've found an '05 Ovation Limited Edition "Nairobi" and we've gotten serious about it. She's got the big 525 HP Cat and inside and outside appearances indicate that she's been taken care of very well. I will check the records (several boxes) and I'm lining up an inspector to do a thorough check (including engine/transmission fluids).

I know about the PTO lubrication issue and I'll find out if it's been wet-modified or not.

Is there anything else I need to take a hard look at? The inspection I buy will be the most thorough, but I figure there are still some things I need to know about, too.

Your help is most appreciated!

Steve
Steve

Being an 05 you should be good just one thing, they like fuel around 5.5mpg

Check the radiator if it has been updated.

Windows if the are fogged.
Tires dates, Battery dates.
RR frig

Hope it all works out good for you.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

Let us know what you find out during the inspection process. The 05 Intrigue with CAT is a solid combination. On the radiator, some 04 & 05 coaches going down seemed to get a mix of different suppliers of radiators. By luck, my 04 Allure, did not get the suspect Aluminum unit. If you look up from underneath on end caps and see a series of nuts/bolts it's not aluminum. Reaching up with a magnet is another way to validate.

If it has the Norcold 1200, check that all recalls have been accomplished. And even then, I'd budget for a SS-30 Halon extinguisher (Not a major expense.) as and added safety step. And or, either convert to the Samsung RF-18, or if Propane is important to your planned style of usage - Amish Cooling Unit.

Best of luck to you on this one. Hope it hits all of you check marks!
Smitty
04 Allure 31017
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Steve

Being an 05 you should be good just one thing, they like fuel around 5.5mpg

Check the radiator if it has been updated.

Windows if the are fogged.
Tires dates, Battery dates.
RR frig

Hope it all works out good for you.
2 stroker
Thanks so much. I have read about the big Cat being a thirsty beast, but I think I'll be happy trading that for the power. Either way, it is what it is and if I was too worried about fuel mileage I wouldn't be looking at all!

We couldn't find a foggy window when we looked, the tires are in great visual shape and are reported to be from the 40-something week of 2015 - but we WILL get those verified. Batteries looked OK, but *I* couldn't find dates. Inspection stuff there too.

The fridge situation is a good thing. The original Norcold 1200 (which I am admittedly afraid of) is gone and there's a new residential Frigidaire in there. That makes me happy! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Let us know what you find out during the inspection process. The 05 Intrigue with CAT is a solid combination. On the radiator, some 04 & 05 coaches going down seemed to get a mix of different suppliers of radiators. By luck, my 04 Allure, did not get the suspect Aluminum unit. If you look up from underneath on end caps and see a series of nuts/bolts it's not aluminum. Reaching up with a magnet is another way to validate.

If it has the Norcold 1200, check that all recalls have been accomplished. And even then, I'd budget for a SS-30 Halon extinguisher (Not a major expense.) as and added safety step. And or, either convert to the Samsung RF-18, or if Propane is important to your planned style of usage - Amish Cooling Unit.

Best of luck to you on this one. Hope it hits all of you check marks!
Smitty
04 Allure 31017
Thanks, Smitty!

I'm hoping this rig is everything I think it is. Over the last couple of years I've been getting warm fuzzies about Country Coaches, and the ones we've actually been inside of have proven the research correct. And a 2004/5 Cat C13 I think is a good find too. She sure drove well.

I will definitely check on the radiator. I know it's fairly new but I'll recheck and have the inspector take a peek, too. I love the magnet trick.

As mentioned above that Norcold is OUTTA there. I know they work well (when they're not starting fires) but I was relieved to see a newer residential unit in there. Thanks much for the suggestions.

Fluids tomorrow and the inspection on Friday I hope.
We are SO ready to leave the research phase of this operation behind and get on the danged road!

Steve
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like a great find.
Check the slide out covers and awning material. The threads seem to deteriorate in the sun.
Not having a Norcold is a big plus!
I love the Cat C13. Lots of power! Like Smitty said, check the coach computer for lifetime MPG. I've seen some as low as 4.3.
I find the headlights on most coaches from this era have yellowed or foggy lenses.
Take the time to research pricing. I find lots of Country Coaches that are priced 2-3 times NADA value.
Check each roof AC unit carefully. They are nearing time for replacement. If they are heat pumps also check that mode.
Check the generator under heavy load (all three AC units).
Drive the coach at freeway speeds. I've found some tend to wander, especially the short wheelbase models.
Check the dash air. They can be troublesome as the pressure hoses tend to wear out on the inside.
If it has an Aqua Hot, have it checked for cabin heat and hot water on both diesel and electric. It should not smoke.
Check the inverter to make sure it will run the new refrigerator. Some of the residential refrigerators are not happy on modified sine wave inverters.
Try to spend a lot of time with your inspector. You need to get a feel for how familiar he is with these complex diesel coaches. Most inspectors are used to smaller gas coaches.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
It sounds like a great find.
Check the slide out covers and awning material. The threads seem to deteriorate in the sun.
Not having a Norcold is a big plus!
I love the Cat C13. Lots of power! Like Smitty said, check the coach computer for lifetime MPG. I've seen some as low as 4.3.
I find the headlights on most coaches from this era have yellowed or foggy lenses.
Take the time to research pricing. I find lots of Country Coaches that are priced 2-3 times NADA value.
Check each roof AC unit carefully. They are nearing time for replacement. If they are heat pumps also check that mode.
Check the generator under heavy load (all three AC units).
Drive the coach at freeway speeds. I've found some tend to wander, especially the short wheelbase models.
Check the dash air. They can be troublesome as the pressure hoses tend to wear out on the inside.
If it has an Aqua Hot, have it checked for cabin heat and hot water on both diesel and electric. It should not smoke.
Check the inverter to make sure it will run the new refrigerator. Some of the residential refrigerators are not happy on modified sine wave inverters.
Try to spend a lot of time with your inspector. You need to get a feel for how familiar he is with these complex diesel coaches. Most inspectors are used to smaller gas coaches.
Best of luck!
Thanks, vito. I'm going to spend the day with the inspector as he goes over the rig on Friday. What better time to learn a bit about all the systems??

I am definitely going to get some data on the A/C units. They're matching units, but I can't tell how old they are by looking at them from the outside. I plan to see if the Frigidaire got its own inverter or not, and I want to know which type is running it, for sure.

The pricing is in line with NADA, FWIW, but I worry a little that it's underpriced, hence the expensive inspection. I'd rather pay for a good inspection now than pay for big repairs later. Learned that from you guys.

I can go to any Cat service center to have the data pulled from the engine, right? I plan to do just that. Need to know what has been done to it.

Thanks again!

Steve