Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 438
Looking to purchase CC would appreciate input.

Hello CC Community. I have owned my current coach since 2016. I am currently shopping for a slightly larger coach and would like a tag axel for better drivability.
40' max length, I have found some pretty good looking coaches 38-40. Budget up to $150 ish.

Can I get input on pre-def Side radiator coaches probably 2002-2008?
Allure, Intrigue, Magna Is the Dynomax chassis basically the same under each?

I am familiar with Cummins and Onan but Not Cat and power-tech. I see a mix of engines and generators.

I am pretty well studied on the Monaco line up but seeking input on what to look for as far as possible issues. I see something about Wet or Dry PTO. Can someone explain this?
Also the Monaco Radiators can be a weak spot and I have seen this can be a similar issue for CCs?

I am sure there are other inherent issues they all have something.
I have done all of the maintenance and upgrades to my current coach myself, so I have been all over and under my coach, I have had to be more educated than I want sometimes.

Thanks in advance for helpful input.
__________________
2006 Dynasty 38' Bishop III Tag.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2022, 09:46 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 19
Wet PTO on 2007 CC Allure

I am able to address your question concerning Dry/Wet PTO as I have faced this issue with my 2007 CC Allure. My mechanic son and I installed the kit to convert from dry to wet PTO soon after I bought the coach at about 35K miles. The hydraulic drive for the cooling fan and power steering pump are driven off of the Allison PTO. The stock, splined output shaft is not lubricated. There were signs of spline wear probably from rotational backlash. The ~$1K kit provides all of the hardware to convert to a wetted set-up. Took about 4-5 hours as we required some tech help during the process. A repeat might be done in half the time. For safety sake - make sure you support the coach when you are underneath in "lift mode".
Gary Wittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wittig View Post
I am able to address your question concerning Dry/Wet PTO as I have faced this issue with my 2007 CC Allure. My mechanic son and I installed the kit to convert from dry to wet PTO soon after I bought the coach at about 35K miles. The hydraulic drive for the cooling fan and power steering pump are driven off of the Allison PTO. The stock, splined output shaft is not lubricated. There were signs of spline wear probably from rotational backlash. The ~$1K kit provides all of the hardware to convert to a wetted set-up. Took about 4-5 hours as we required some tech help during the process. A repeat might be done in half the time. For safety sake - make sure you support the coach when you are underneath in "lift mode".
Gary Thanks for that Info much appreciated!
__________________
2006 Dynasty 38' Bishop III Tag.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Smitty77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Over the next hill, around the next curve...
Posts: 5,283
Here is a great source to compare models. And Damon is a good source to talk with on CC's in general...

If you plan on still towing your race care.... I'd suggest you look for coaches with at least Front Disc brakes, and larger displacement engines for more power/torque and braking horse power via Jake Compression.

Magna/Affinity will have Front Disc, shifting to all axle I think in 2008.

Allure/Intrigue will have all axle drums, until they too went to all axle disc's in 2008.

The Magna/Affinity chassis vary by year, but are more 'stout' then the lower models. Usually the chassis I-Beams are larger, and better isolation via floor building technique. And the Axle Components and air bags are also more robust.

CAT C12 or C13 or C15 or Cummins ISM500 or ISX 600 or 650 are the best engine choices for heavier hauling capability. (CAT's with 2007 Smog Level, will have REGEN's and higher maintenance costs then Pre 2007 Smog Level. And as I recall, they'll also have the CAT Transmission, vs the Allison 4000 used Pre 2007 Smog Level. Cummins ISX600 came in two trims CM870 'EGR only Dirty Engine' and CM871 'EGR and DPR Clean Engine'. ISX650 I believe are all the CM871 configuration. Look for CM871's to have had their heads replaced with the new improved alloy valves, to control '#6 Valve Dropping'. (Or if not, budget accordingly to proactively have the head swapped out.).

As you RV, you know that 40' is often considered a good balance between livability, ride comfort and access to campgrounds (State and National Parks.) - it would probably be the coaches to target.

That being said, their are a few 37-38' Magna's with Tag and CAT Big Blocks. IF you are not concerned about wanting at least Front Disc brakes, then the Allure 37' can also be found with Tag and ISL engine. (ISL will work harder, if pulling a heavy load...).

A few 40' Intrigues came in 40-42' length with ISM500 engines. (I believe 08, but the ISM500 is 06 Smog Era.)

If you can go to 42', the 03-04 Magna/Affinity can be found with the C12 engine, and were built before to heavy of an influence from National and later the Howard Brother's kicked in....

Same comment about if you're not too concerned about not having at least Front Disc brakes on the 04 Intrigue, with a few also coming with the C12!

Those are some random thoughts! Happy hunting...
Smitty

https://damonrapozo.com/model-history
__________________
07 Country Coach Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600
Roo II was our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Here is a great source to compare models. And Damon is a good source to talk with on CC's in general...

If you plan on still towing your race care.... I'd suggest you look for coaches with at least Front Disc brakes, and larger displacement engines for more power/torque and braking horse power via Jake Compression.

Magna/Affinity will have Front Disc, shifting to all axle I think in 2008.

Allure/Intrigue will have all axle drums, until they too went to all axle disc's in 2008.

The Magna/Affinity chassis vary by year, but are more 'stout' then the lower models. Usually the chassis I-Beams are larger, and better isolation via floor building technique. And the Axle Components and air bags are also more robust.

CAT C12 or C13 or C15 or Cummins ISM500 or ISX 600 or 650 are the best engine choices for heavier hauling capability. (CAT's with 2007 Smog Level, will have REGEN's and higher maintenance costs then Pre 2007 Smog Level. And as I recall, they'll also have the CAT Transmission, vs the Allison 4000 used Pre 2007 Smog Level. Cummins ISX600 came in two trims CM870 'EGR only Dirty Engine' and CM871 'EGR and DPR Clean Engine'. ISX650 I believe are all the CM871 configuration. Look for CM871's to have had their heads replaced with the new improved alloy valves, to control '#6 Valve Dropping'. (Or if not, budget accordingly to proactively have the head swapped out.).

As you RV, you know that 40' is often considered a good balance between livability, ride comfort and access to campgrounds (State and National Parks.) - it would probably be the coaches to target.

That being said, their are a few 37-38' Magna's with Tag and CAT Big Blocks. IF you are not concerned about wanting at least Front Disc brakes, then the Allure 37' can also be found with Tag and ISL engine. (ISL will work harder, if pulling a heavy load...).

A few 40' Intrigues came in 40-42' length with ISM500 engines. (I believe 08, but the ISM500 is 06 Smog Era.)

If you can go to 42', the 03-04 Magna/Affinity can be found with the C12 engine, and were built before to heavy of an influence from National and later the Howard Brother's kicked in....

Same comment about if you're not too concerned about not having at least Front Disc brakes on the 04 Intrigue, with a few also coming with the C12!

Those are some random thoughts! Happy hunting...
Smitty

https://damonrapozo.com/model-history
What these 2 fellas have said plus a little extra. 2006 and later coaches have Intellitec lighting which is nice an expensive upgrade if your coach doesn't have.

There were also some 2005 and later Magnas in the 42 foot range..Believe they are called Magna Monet.

These coaches during the time they were made, few came with really stout hitch setups. These can be modified or updated to safely pull larger heavier loads.

A note on the wet vs. dry spline.

The dry spline PTO requires alot more maintenance. I think specced for every 3-5K miles and Chelsea Parker expect replacement every 30K miles. The maintenence is monotonous but an easy hand lube job. These regularly fail to catastrophic levels.

Some Bluebird Wanderlodge units had a hybrid CP PTO with zerk fittings to make lubing easier. The CCs don't have this option and can't be upgraded to that hybrid system.

I recommend the absolute first thing you do is upgrade your CP PTO to the wet spline lubrication kit. You might have a few extra leaks to chase around but the added benefit of the self lubrication and less maintenence is a huge peace of mind and you won't get stranded for 3+ months should your dry PTO fail.

As far as other things to look out for...RVs of this era were known for paint checking. Lighter colors faired better than darker colors.

The Power Tech generators are made by Caterpillar. They are not as efficient as the Onan units. Some folks ordered them with CAT engines for one stop servicing engine/gen.

There are all kinds of updates to improve modernity for these coaches. Pretty much anything a newer coach has you can do.

My advice would be a 2005 or later Magna Monet 42 preferably with a CAT C13 / Alli 4K /Onan generator and an immediate update to wet pto and wax valve fan controller if not already done.

Maybe a little oily-er and dirtier then the Cummins but no Def fluid or EGR-Emissions stuff to worry about AND you get all the modern styling. There was one for sale in Tulsa awhile back we almost pulled the trigger on.

Good luck in your search

Ch
__________________
Chris H
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 367
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...NET-5013285817

I had an extensive convo with the salesman of this coach..PM me if you want to know what I found out about it..

Ch
__________________
Chris H
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
IF you are not concerned about wanting at least Front Disc brakes, then the Allure 37' can also be found with Tag and ISL engine. (ISL will work harder, if pulling a heavy load...).

Those are some random thoughts! Happy hunting...
Smitty

https://damonrapozo.com/model-history
Oooooooohhhhhhh.....As a devout CAT C13 owner/enthusiast.....Thems fightin' words @Smitty77....

OEM Stock......To be sure your totally dialed CM871 will out pull me on a grade and over the flats but should I tune thats a complete wash AND my local WagnerCAT shop is Pro aftermarket tune..even though we didn't have one

I'll never have to worry about deteriorating the #6 valve thanks to EGR/Def or breaking the exhaust manifold and our C13 sounds SUPER effing cool at idle.....

way way cooler than the chug chugging of my Cummins powered pickup truck...

Super LOLZ

Ch
__________________
Chris H
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:04 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 8
Best advice I can offer you is contact Premier RV of Oregon. They have impeccable reputation and only offer CC that have been well cared for. Call Damon for straight advice and honest assessment. I realized this in my search and very happy owner of a 2008 Intrigue I purchased from them. You can’t go wrong.
Rodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:59 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 58
I have a 2008 CC 360 Intrigue for sale Rusty. However it is a 43' with a tag on it. Lwt me know if your interested.

thanks
__________________
2008 Country Coach 360 Inspire FE 43FT
425 HP CAT C-9 and CAT C-28 6sp Trans
Towing 1956 Chevy P-UP 1300 Short Bed
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,231
Try Oregon Motor Coach, ask for Terry
__________________
Wally & Elta Mae
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 438
Thank you all for the great info. I really think CC is a great coach. I just missed out on an 03 intrigue that I would have bought I am sure. Also called on a Magna I was #9 in line for that one.

I just found a beautiful one owner 2006 Dynasty 38' Tag last weekend that I could not pass up. Wife loved it. It had been stored inside since new. Never dreamed I would find a coach in such great condition. It was 50 miles from my house. Just drove it home and it was amazing.
Thanks again for the help from you all.
__________________
2006 Dynasty 38' Bishop III Tag.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Smitty77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Over the next hill, around the next curve...
Posts: 5,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Thank you all for the great info. I really think CC is a great coach. I just missed out on an 03 intrigue that I would have bought I am sure. Also called on a Magna I was #9 in line for that one.

I just found a beautiful one owner 2006 Dynasty 38' Tag last weekend that I could not pass up. Wife loved it. It had been stored inside since new. Never dreamed I would find a coach in such great condition. It was 50 miles from my house. Just drove it home and it was amazing.
Thanks again for the help from you all.
==

Congrats! The Monaco's of that era were well built... IMO, in that era, the Dynasty were comparable to the Allure or Intrigue (Variability based upon options!). We had the Dynasty on our short list when shopping, and an Allure we liked was first up in the slot while shopping...

Finding an owner that indoor stored a coach of those model years, is for sure a plus! And yep, the Monaco Owner Group is fine bunch... (They answered lots of my questions while I was in the shopping stage!)

Suggest you focus over the next few months, and spend some coin (IF NEEDED) - to bring this coaches mechanical conditions into suburb condition. This will lay the groundwork to both safety, and fun while traveling ahead!!

Go use the coach for several trips, and make a list of Mod's you feel will set the coach up for the long term 'living wise' on what is important to you...

Keep the Rubber Side Down! And have some fun,
Smitty
__________________
07 Country Coach Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600
Roo II was our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
==



Congrats! The Monaco's of that era were well built... IMO, in that era, the Dynasty were comparable to the Allure or Intrigue (Variability based upon options!). We had the Dynasty on our short list when shopping, and an Allure we liked was first up in the slot while shopping...



Finding an owner that indoor stored a coach of those model years, is for sure a plus! And yep, the Monaco Owner Group is fine bunch... (They answered lots of my questions while I was in the shopping stage!)



Suggest you focus over the next few months, and spend some coin (IF NEEDED) - to bring this coaches mechanical conditions into suburb condition. This will lay the groundwork to both safety, and fun while traveling ahead!!



Go use the coach for several trips, and make a list of Mod's you feel will set the coach up for the long term 'living wise' on what is important to you...



Keep the Rubber Side Down! And have some fun,

Smitty


Good advice. As you know many many new owners made their purchase based on the condition of the cabinets and the thread count of the sheets.
A walk-through and chassis inspection should by a qualified person should be mandatory. An after-sale chassis inspection with oil sampling/lab testing can hopefully start the new owner(s) heading in the right direction.

One last request: Before flooding the forums with questions, PLEASE take the time and read up on your new coach.
This will take a few weeks at least and should answer many of your questions and will make your remaining questions more relevant and understandable.

We still enjoy our coach and plan to for years to come.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MPG comparison-would appreciate your input PhilT0 MH-General Discussions & Problems 63 05-09-2019 06:50 AM
1st Post-- Looking to go full time (mostly solo) w/ no exp-- Would really appreciate spacemonkey Full-Timers 21 06-11-2014 04:27 AM
Another Newbie - Appreciate input on our plan. tktoth1 Full-Timers 14 08-09-2013 06:57 PM
Would appreciate some input on the Monaco family 33SFS full wall slide unit gr8fultim Monaco Owner's Forum 9 04-11-2008 05:57 AM
New Southwind Owner would appreciate info jagsonville Fleetwood Owner's Forum 7 03-30-2007 07:28 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.