RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485558216.500440.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	150199

Here is a shot of the side after buffing out an 02 with full body paint. Not sure what it looked like new but I would probably say it's pretty darn close or better. There was a slight haze in that paint that is now gone. It has a lot more clarity and depth.
But there is quite a bit of factory dirt in the paint that you don't see on newer models.
My buddy next door wants me to buff out his 2014 Fleetwood. I told him to give me 6 months to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I doubt very seriously that your coach has full body paint. Is part of it tan in color? If so, that is the color of the gel coat.

Back in the old days, CC touted full body paint when it was actually nothing but clear coat over the gel coat. There is more to the story but I'll not go into it here.

What you are looking at to fix the peeling clear coat is a complete sanding of the original clear coat off and then painting the coach. Then a clear coat is applied over the paint. Costs that I have received are in the $25K range.

Sure you can fix the effected areas but it will come back
My 2002 Newmar Kountry Star DP was experiencing paint fade and clear coat issues. After several quotes to have it painted in the United States, I couldn't justify the cost on a then 12 year old motorhome. So, I took a chance and headed south to Mexico. I got a quote of $200 a foot from Navarros in Los Algodones, D.C. (basically, across the border west of Yuma, AZ).
The dogs and I lived in the motorhome during the entire process, so, for me it was a3week, "hands on" project. The decal removal and wet sanding and minor body damage was completed outside. Once that was completed, we moved into their paint booth building (60' long X 40' wide). They taped/papered off everything that wasn't to be painted, primed the entire coach, then began applying the primary and secondary paint design. The final was 3 coats of clear.
Was the job perfect, NO! Some clear coat sags which have been wet sanded and buffed out, some minor over spray on a small section of the roof. Bottom line, to me it was worth the $7,800. American manufactured BASF Diamont basecoat & clear was used. I've purchased some touch-up paint at 2 different automotive paint stores in the USA and the paint match is spot on.
Enrique and Jose Navarro are the owners and have been in business for years. Their English isn't very good but, with some patients, you can have a conversation with them. Their Yuma, AZ # is 928-239-8906.
I don't work for Navarro's nor do they compensate me in any way. Just passing on my experience. I'd post some photo's but it seems I can't get the process down correctly. I'd be happy to email photo's if requested.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Attachment 150199

Here is a shot of the side after buffing out an 02 with full body paint. Not sure what it looked like new but I would probably say it's pretty darn close or better. There was a slight haze in that paint that is now gone. It has a lot more clarity and depth.
But there is quite a bit of factory dirt in the paint that you don't see on newer models.
My buddy next door wants me to buff out his 2014 Fleetwood. I told him to give me 6 months to recover.

WOW! If the rest of your CC looks as GOOD as that one picture, I'd just keep doing what your doing and NOT consider getting it re-painted.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
I painted the roof edges with base coat and clearcoat.

The white sides I removed all the clearcoat and applied Zep floor wax.

$25 vs $25k.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
WOW! If the rest of your CC looks as GOOD as that one picture, I'd just keep doing what your doing and NOT consider getting it re-painted.

No not looking to have it repainted. Just showing how full body paint that is maintained the right way can last the life time of the coach. Not sure I would spend 25k on a paint job. Would almost have to consider upgrading to a newer coach. I would spend around 15k because I feel that you would get your money back out when you sell it. If two coaches were sitting next to one another, one had peeling clear coat, and the other had a newer paint job I would have no problem spending an extra 15k.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
No not looking to have it repainted. Just showing how full body paint that is maintained the right way can last the life time of the coach. Not sure I would spend 25k on a paint job. Would almost have to consider upgrading to a newer coach. I would spend around 15k because I feel that you would get your money back out when you sell it. If two coaches were sitting next to one another, one had peeling clear coat, and the other had a newer paint job I would have no problem spending an extra 15k.

You are probably correct. Based on the math, to spend $15K to sell the motorhome for $15K more is a wash. If you're not going to get double your investment, keep the money in your pocket. In my case, I spent $7,800 and there is no question, I added $12K to 16K to the value of my motorhome. The increased value numbers are based upon 2 different firm offers received when I was considering purchasing a newer rig from a private party.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #21

So I have a common dilemma faced here and I have asked this one question in another thread. Here are the two.

I am facing the same peeling issues on the gel coat, paint part is fine. I have received several quotes to paint coach and our local air craft paint shop gave me a great quote, they are also a friend of a friend. Sooo...

The one question I am facing is to re paint entire coach basically. I am leaning this way as we aren't full timers and still working so on a budget. Not trading in for anything newer anytime soon. We bought this coach in Ca and it came out of Az. This coach is literally rust free underneath, the bones are amazing. I have never seen something actually rust free as we are based in pa and the salt ruins everything. So with that said we also love our CC Allure. I feel this coach has lots of life left in her so I want to paint. I also feel this is an awesome older classic CC. I think I have that part figured out.

So the question I posed in another thread is this, what paint scheme do I select? One paint shop was offering the new style swirly paint scheme that newer coaches have. Makes it look newer and more modern, no one would know it was a 2000. Now the dilemma, I am also thinking it would be more original to keep the original paint scheme for the CC purists out there. This is where I am not sure which way to go. I am leaning more towards the original scheme on a repaint but not totally sure still.

Here are the quotes from our aircraft paint guy.

1. Clearcoat top and blend areas on sides with clear that are peeling labor & material $3,000.00 ( down time 7 days)
2. Detail and Clearcoat complete unit top and sides labor & materials $6,000.00 (down time 14 days)
3. Prep repaint motorhome in existing scheme and colors labor & materials $10,000.00 (down time 21 days)
4. Prep repaint motorhome (new scheme and colors) labor & materials $12,500.00 (down time 24 days)

I think his prices are pretty good from what I have received so far. I had one quote in fla for total re paint for 25,000.00, no thanks. This guy paints aircraft so I think he can handle an rv. His company is called sure flight in pa. Sureflight.com

So I am steering towards a full repaint in original scheme. Any thoughts?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
So I have a common dilemma faced here and I have asked this one question in another thread. Here are the two.

I am facing the same peeling issues on the gel coat, paint part is fine. I have received several quotes to paint coach and our local air craft paint shop gave me a great quote, they are also a friend of a friend. Sooo...

The one question I am facing is to re paint entire coach basically. I am leaning this way as we aren't full timers and still working so on a budget. Not trading in for anything newer anytime soon. We bought this coach in Ca and it came out of Az. This coach is literally rust free underneath, the bones are amazing. I have never seen something actually rust free as we are based in pa and the salt ruins everything. So with that said we also love our CC Allure. I feel this coach has lots of life left in her so I want to paint. I also feel this is an awesome older classic CC. I think I have that part figured out.

So the question I posed in another thread is this, what paint scheme do I select? One paint shop was offering the new style swirly paint scheme that newer coaches have. Makes it look newer and more modern, no one would know it was a 2000. Now the dilemma, I am also thinking it would be more original to keep the original paint scheme for the CC purists out there. This is where I am not sure which way to go. I am leaning more towards the original scheme on a repaint but not totally sure still.

Here are the quotes from our aircraft paint guy.

1. Clearcoat top and blend areas on sides with clear that are peeling labor & material $3,000.00 ( down time 7 days)
2. Detail and Clearcoat complete unit top and sides labor & materials $6,000.00 (down time 14 days)
3. Prep repaint motorhome in existing scheme and colors labor & materials $10,000.00 (down time 21 days)
4. Prep repaint motorhome (new scheme and colors) labor & materials $12,500.00 (down time 24 days)

I think his prices are pretty good from what I have received so far. I had one quote in fla for total re paint for 25,000.00, no thanks. This guy paints aircraft so I think he can handle an rv. His company is called sure flight in pa. Sureflight.com

So I am steering towards a full repaint in original scheme. Any thoughts?

First off, his prices are excellent for a job in America. I'd be very interested to know what brand of paint he'll be using. Years ago I had my 51' powerboat repainted by painters who usually painted airplanes and they used Imron paint. If their quote includes the same quality paint they use on airplanes, I'd go for it.
I had my RV painted 2 years ago in Mexico, took 3 weeks and the dogs and I lived in the RV throughout the entire process. American made BASF paint was used and they did a decent job for $7,800, full body paint job with 3 coats of clear on a 38' Newmar Kountry Star.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #23

I too am experiencing clear coat failure, in my case my 28 ft 2002 Safari Trek motorhome has Aluminum sides and an Aluminum roof, so far the only point of clearcoat failure is where the side wall rounds over to the roof. I took it to a local body shop that does a fair amount of RV work (he had 2 class A's in the shop when I was there) to get a price quote on fixing the paint issue along the roof as well as redoing a poorly done repair below the passenger side window and rear bumper. I was somewhat surprised that the quote I received was considerably lower than the prices posted in this thread, around $1,000 for the part of the quote to repaint the rounded area along the top of the sidewall only. No blending as my coach has a full length gutter that would serve as a visual break even though it is the same color as the body.

Anyway the point I am getting to is that he suggested a potentially cheaper option for the upper wall issue. That being to lightly sand off the failing clearcoat and put a vinyl stripe down the full length of the upper wall. I think I am going to give his suggestion a try as I can do it myself for less than $100 in materials and I am conformable working with vinyl (I owned a vinyl sign and screen printing shop back in the 90's). I also have found a vinyl with a very close color match to the existing paint on my upper side way, much closer than the match on the poorly done repair mentioned above. (Oracal 923 Light Metallic Brown is an almost a perfect match for the Ivory Charcoal paint on my coach). Even if this fix only lasts 8-10 years I think it is worth it, I will post pictures when it is done.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #24

Funjnt,
Those are some pretty good prices. What paint is being used, and how many coats of clear?
I agree that the original scheme is the best route. But are you planning on painting the white areas that are just clear now? That way you would have a true full body paint.

Brett
Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #25

sorry mis-post
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #26

I would go with the original paint scheme. My 1992 Affinity is currently getting painted and I am going with the same scheme however, I am deleting the stripes above the windshield which I feel dated the coach and can be deleted while still maintaining a sense of continuity.
Here are some pics showing the coach prior to and after sanding off the stripes. Hoping to wrap up prep work soon and start shooting paint! For the record; my coach was riddled with clear coat peeling....especially in the front and back.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1486452124.071101.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	151193Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1486452162.198898.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	151194
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #27

Yes I have made up my mind on the original scheme. It will get repainted the same as it stands. I think it will shine more so to speak with original scheme than a newer style which it isn't. It will surely turn heads to the CC fans that know what these coaches are. Now to budget some funds...
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Yes I have made up my mind on the original scheme. It will get repainted the same as it stands. I think it will shine more so to speak with original scheme than a newer style which it isn't. It will surely turn heads to the CC fans that know what these coaches are. Now to budget some funds...
Looking forward to seeing the pictures once the job is completed.

Tags
ace