Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Losing Clearcoat in places

My wife and I just purchased a 2000 CC Intrigue. Along the roof line and a couple of places on the slide the clearcoat has bubbled and/or flaked off. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Loving my CC.
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

Having had the same issue, here are the names I have collected. None of which have done work for me.

Custom Paint & Auto Body in Red Bay, AL. [Near Tiffin Motorhomes]
Owner Bruce Deaton (256-356-5695)

Precision Painting - Bremen, IN

Mike's Custom Painting in Bremen IN

Bob's Body Shop in Marion, NC.
Mike's RV Collision, Wilmington, NC. [Specializes in motorhome body & paint work]

http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/sml...h-painted-206/

Rocky Point, Mexico Painting Perfection Chuy Company Phone 044 638 107 82 99
Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
Is your coach full-color paint? Or is the clear coat partially over un-painted white fiberglass gelcoat? I don't have a solution for you but on my coach ('98 Intrigue, partial paint), the clear coat is flaking severely all over the white un-painted sections. Its basically separating from the fiberglass gelcoat in large sheets. Curiously though, the clear coat remains pristine over the painted areas of the coach. Every time I hose down the coach I get a new crop of clear coat flakes in the driveway LOL...

I'll be following the responses to your inquiry, as I too will need to deal with this.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

Have found on both are London Aire and then our Essex that 303 Protector put on the radius of the roof to side walls which is high area UV we put the 303 4 times a year.
Take 15 minutes and both coaches outside 100% of the time never had clear coat damage and in fact looked just like the side walls, great. Very good protection and easy to use. One location to get is CW.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Have found on both are London Aire and then our Essex that 303 Protector put on the radius of the roof to side walls which is high area UV we put the 303 4 times a year.
Take 15 minutes and both coaches outside 100% of the time never had clear coat damage and in fact looked just like the side walls, great. Very good protection and easy to use. One location to get is CW.
The roof radius is the major problem areas. I will check on the 303 Protector.

To answer another question, our coach has full paint.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
The roof radius is the major problem areas. I will check on the 303 Protector.

To answer another question, our coach has full paint.
I doubt very seriously that your coach has full body paint. Is part of it tan in color? If so, that is the color of the gel coat.

Back in the old days, CC touted full body paint when it was actually nothing but clear coat over the gel coat. There is more to the story but I'll not go into it here.

What you are looking at to fix the peeling clear coat is a complete sanding of the original clear coat off and then painting the coach. Then a clear coat is applied over the paint. Costs that I have received are in the $25K range.

Sure you can fix the effected areas but it will come back
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I doubt very seriously that your coach has full body paint. Is part of it tan in color? If so, that is the color of the gel coat.

Back in the old days, CC touted full body paint when it was actually nothing but clear coat over the gel coat. There is more to the story but I'll not go into it here.

What you are looking at to fix the peeling clear coat is a complete sanding of the original clear coat off and then painting the coach. Then a clear coat is applied over the paint. Costs that I have received are in the $25K range.

Sure you can fix the effected areas but it will come back
Thanks for the info but OUCH!!!

I'm still learning about it. I was just told it was full body paint but I don't even know enough at this point to be even slightly dangerous. I tried to attach a photo but guess I need more posts to do that.
Coach #10984
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 AM   #8

Hey all. Our coach is peeling also, bubbling and coming off in sheets. I have called around to a few places some listed in the list above. We should try to band together and get a group rate. I actually got the best quote from a guy in pa who paints helicopters and planes. I can look at the quote and relay the numbers but they were the best prices I have seen so far. He has a downdraft booth in a hangar of course and he said he also has the machine to add the new style of swirl graphics like the new coaches. Before this I think the best price I received was mikes in Indiana but he was booked many months out which is a good sign to me.

Anyway I can look at these prices and post. He quoted spot fising the clear for now, re-clear entire coach and total re paint of coach, three separate prices.

Maybe we can command a group rate with someone?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #9

My 02 Intrigue (11356) does have full body paint and it's amazing how well it's held up. Besides a few chips looks like new.

So I do feel it would be a good investment if your planning on owning your coach for extended time.

Not a big fan of all the swirls and not sure it would look all that great on the older rigs.

Here is a photo of the paint design on a 02 Intrigue, which is the same body style. I think it has a pretty classy look with very little swirl.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484965980.459739.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	149625

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
My 02 Intrigue (11356) does have full body paint and it's amazing how well it's held up. Besides a few chips looks like new.

So I do feel it would be a good investment if your planning on owning your coach for extended time.

Not a big fan of all the swirls and not sure it would look all that great on the older rigs.

Here is a photo of the paint design on a 02 Intrigue, which is the same body style. I think it has a pretty classy look with very little swirl.Attachment 149625

That's the same scheme as is on my 2000.
Coach #10984
Old 01-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
That's the same scheme as is on my 2000.

Paint guys told me at CC that this was a new style for 02 and was used a lot.

Could be yours has been repainted, does it have a painted black border around each painted area?

Could be that I was given bad info.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:35 AM   #12

My 1999 has the same problem of clearcoat peeling off the white gelcoat, but not the painted areas. I am considering just polishing the gelcoat, just like on the boat. Any thoughts or products to use?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
My 1999 has the same problem of clearcoat peeling off the white gelcoat, but not the painted areas. I am considering just polishing the gelcoat, just like on the boat. Any thoughts or products to use?
Once the peeling process starts there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Protect All oxidation remover works pretty good. You will have to get a professional buffer like Dewalt DBP849X, with a wool pad. Be sure to follow up with a rv/boat wax.

On the painted areas Meguiars works really nice, start with a medium cut cleaner, than a polish, follow up with their yellow wax. On the painted areas do not use the wool pad, but use the Meguiars 7" yellow foam pads. Use one foam pad for the cleaner and a different one for the polish. Wax I always apply by hand. At this point it goes on, and comes off really easily because all dirt has been removed
and the paint is very slick.

Everything mentioned is available on Amazon. If your not experienced using a buffer watch youtube videos, and start out slow, around 1500 to 1600 rpm's. Once you get the hang of it, you can go up to 2000. With a good buffer it goes pretty quick. Takes me about two full days to buff out one side of the 36' coach.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Didn't someone post about zip floor polish helping with clear coat peeling? I could be mistaken, after a while it all blends together
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace