Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #29
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I've pondered this for awhile, and I can't think of anything anyone could do when changing tires that could have affected the engine coolant. I'm leaning toward a bad hose somewhere. Please keep us in the loop on what you finally figure out. It may help someone in the future with a similar problem!
That is what I thought too, but it is odd that it happened after the tire dismounts and remounts. I just got some coolant and will try to fill up the surge tank and see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #30
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
We had a situation where the Surge tank would empty enroute and the coolant sensor would shut the engine off. There was no visible trace of the coolant overflow at any time.

It was caused by the Tech who changed the coolant not burping the air out of the coolant system.

I burped the system per the instructions on the surge tank and all has been well for several years.
Good point, but in my case I had the coolant flushed about 2,000 mi ago and didn't lose any during my entire trip!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #31
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The AC on inverter is for the front roof AC, not the OTR AC. The front AC should also give you heat on the inverter if you set your thermostat to heat. To use the OTR AC, the engine needs to be running.
My AC, the one under the bed runs through the inverter and not running from the engine compressor. So, apparently mine isn't OTR AC, is it?
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #32
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxout View Post
Might also want to check under your hot water heater if your coach circulates coolant to keep the domestic water hot while driving.
I have aqua hot, but will look there as well. Thanks for suggesting it!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #33

If its a head gasket you will have excessive pressure in the cooling system or milk shake in the oil, if a liner is cracked you'll have the pressure. If the coolant is going anywhere else than this or the exhaust you shouldn't have a issue finding it...
Old 10-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #34
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
If its a head gasket you will have excessive pressure in the cooling system or milk shake in the oil, if a liner is cracked you'll have the pressure. If the coolant is going anywhere else than this or the exhaust you shouldn't have a issue finding it...
To test for any of these, is it safe to run it and see?? Thanks for posting!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #35
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Have Found the Location of the Leak!

This morning I filled my surge tank - I put in 9.5 gallons of coolant. I had it running about 10 minutes and saw a pool of antifreeze right between the tag and the drive wheels directly above the drive shaft. Turned it off and crawled under and here is what is happening.

Is there a pump that is leaking or a connection that is loose?
The RV repair shops are 70 miles from me, but there is a truck repair garage that do work on motorhomes and buses about 2 miles from my house. Would they be able to repair it? As always, I thank everyone for their helpful suggestions!
Regards to all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	109593  
Old 10-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #36

SRH, your photo is of the circulation pump which is the usual culprit for the leak you describe. I suggest that you think about bypassing the pump and see if you are satisfied with the performance of your dash heater. You can always buy the pump later. Also, if it isn't the pump but is the fitting, the bypass should solve that as well.

On the subject of your A/C under the bed. I think you are mistaken on the power source for this device. If it runs off the inverter it should work with the engine off and you should be able to identify a compressor and condensing unit. I think you'll find that it doesn't work that way. It runs from the engine driven compressor and the fan cooled condenser the same as your dash A/C.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #37

I like to carry a few of these in my favorite sizes with some clamps, you always have water till you can drain and refill with your favorite coolant
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #38
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsander1 View Post
SRH, your photo is of the circulation pump which is the usual culprit for the leak you describe. I suggest that you think about bypassing the pump and see if you are satisfied with the performance of your dash heater. You can always buy the pump later. Also, if it isn't the pump but is the fitting, the bypass should solve that as well.

On the subject of your A/C under the bed. I think you are mistaken on the power source for this device. If it runs off the inverter it should work with the engine off and you should be able to identify a compressor and condensing unit. I think you'll find that it doesn't work that way. It runs from the engine driven compressor and the fan cooled condenser the same as your dash A/C.
Is the circulation pump hard to get at if I want to bypass or replace it? Also, I did not have heat on and it was leaking - can that be?

Now about my AC under the bed - I know you can turn it on without the engine running, but don't know if the compressor is on without the engine?
Thanks for your post!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #39
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I like to carry a few of these in my favorite sizes with some clamps, you always have water till you can drain and refill with your favorite coolant
That is very helpful, DMTTRANSPORT! Thank you!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do all CC's have this circulation/booster pump? Specifically, did CC install them on Allures?
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #41
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Do all CC's have this circulation/booster pump? Specifically, did CC install them on Allures?
I wouldn't know for sure, but if you can get under your coach it would be mounted exactly above the drive shaft between the tag and the drive axles. If you have one you would see the mounting bracket and the four blots as in my photo.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with Allure might chime in.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #42

That's the pump I mentioned. Is actually good news. I bought a new pump locally and relatively inexpensive. Its a tight fit. I used my wifes plastic apron to channel the coolant into a pail and keep myself dry. Caught hell when she found out but I was dry. Dropped about 5 gallons of coolant. I could have just bypassed but decided to just replace the pump. The pump seals are what went out. I might have the part number if you need it.
As for your ac
One dedicated inverter runs the forward roof ac while the other two run off shore power. The under bed unit runs with your dash air with the compressor powered by the engine
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine