Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Lost My Engine Coolant!

About two weeks ago I drove my coach (120 mi round trip) to have some new tires installed. Everything looked good before I left home. Yesterday, I tried to winterize it and noticed that my surge tank was empty - nothing showing on the side gauge. I had two gallons of concentrate antifreeze. Added that plus two gallons of distilled water, but I still don't see anything on the gauge. As I was driving home, it was running fine no fault codes or warnings, no visible signs of any leaks that I can see on the floor of my garage or the driveway. Of course I didn't let it run for more than a couple of minutes. I can't get the Fleetguard antifreeze (ES Compleat EG) locally. I will fill up my surge tank and let it run for a while and see where the leak is. It has got me really worried!
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
About two weeks ago I drove my coach (120 mi round trip) to have some new tires installed. Everything looked good before I left home. Yesterday, I tried to winterize it and noticed that my surge tank was empty - nothing showing on the side gauge. I had two gallons of concentrate antifreeze. Added that plus two gallons of distilled water, but I still don't see anything on the gauge. As I was driving home, it was running fine no fault codes or warnings, no visible signs of any leaks that I can see on the floor of my garage or the driveway. Of course I didn't let it run for more than a couple of minutes. I can't get the Fleetguard antifreeze (ES Compleat EG) locally. I will fill up my surge tank and let it run for a while and see where the leak is. It has got me really worried!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Check your oil & transmission fluid for signs of coolant. If your EGR valve fails, coolant can get into combustion chamber.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

Suggest you look up under the front of your coach for a coolant leak at the heater core.....not unheard of for the clamps up there to loosen up a bit over time or for the coolant line(s) to split. You may see signs of wetness or coolant "tracks" in the area. Since the core, lines, etc., are under the dash area, you may have to remove a panel or two to be sure. Over time, even a small dribble or leak up there unnoticed could cause coolant loss such as yours. Of course, it the coolant shut off valves (2) are closed back at the engine, then coolant is not flowing to the front. It's worth taking a look....

Please let us know what you find out.....thanks!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Check your oil & transmission fluid for signs of coolant. If your EGR valve fails, coolant can get into combustion chamber.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve: I checked the oil the level is OK, but cant' tell of any contamination. I just ordered some fluid analysis kits to check both. I haven't looked at transmission fluid as i do not want to start it until I have the surge tank filled.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Steve: I checked the oil the level is OK, but cant' tell of any contamination. I just ordered some fluid analysis kits to check both. I haven't looked at transmission fluid as i do not want to start it until I have the surge tank filled.
Thanks for your suggestion.

You might want to check the three small hoses that attach to the back of the surge tank. Those have been known to fail.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Worst case scenario. Blow head gasket and coolant blowing out the exhaust as steam. I sure hope not.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Suggest you look up under the front of your coach for a coolant leak at the heater core.....not unheard of for the clamps up there to loosen up a bit over time or for the coolant line(s) to split. You may see signs of wetness or coolant "tracks" in the area. Since the core, lines, etc., are under the dash area, you may have to remove a panel or two to be sure. Over time, even a small dribble or leak up there unnoticed could cause coolant loss such as yours. Of course, it the coolant shut off valves (2) are closed back at the engine, then coolant is not flowing to the front. It's worth taking a look....

Please let us know what you find out.....thanks!
Good point! I'll do that. I think the heater was on, I'll double check on that as well. I noticed some wetness on the 3/4" hose going into the radiator and tightened it. I'm hoping that was the problem! Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Worst case scenario. Blow head gasket and coolant blowing out the exhaust as steam. I sure hope not.
Shouldn't have I noticed that? Or, show up on my SilverLeaf?
Thanks,
Old 10-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
You might want to check the three small hoses that attach to the back of the surge tank. Those have been known to fail.
After I noticed the wetness on one of the hoses that go to the radiator, I tightened all the three. They did need some tightening, but didn't seem to be leaking like the one to the radiator.
Thanks,
Old 10-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't have Silverleaf so I don't know what it would show. If it is a small gasket leak it could just be injecting/ejecting a small amount of coolant and no power loss. Just a bit of vapor at the exhaust.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #11

Hope it was the 3/4" hose, as under pressure and driving, you could have loss enough coolant to drain the reservoir. On our older 04 Allure, their are two pumps in the loop from the engine to the front of the coach Over The Road heater. The rear one is famous for failure due to engine heat over the years. We went ahead and had our's bypassed, as even Country Coach will now say that only one pump was needed, with the rear being overkill. (Of course, may not apply to your year and higher (top) of the food chain model!

And I do not believe Silverleaf would have anyway of knowing if you had blown head gasket that was leaning coolant into the exhaust system. Only when the coolant was too low, would it trigger you.

And for the amount you probably loss, 3-5 gallons by the sound of it, as you still do not see the coolant after topping off, you may not have contaminated the oil enough to turn it the milky color of coolant in oil. You have lots of oil in that engine.

Hoping it is something easy, and maybe even fixed now with the tightening of the 3/4" hose.

Please let us know what you determine was root cause, and best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Hope it was the 3/4" hose, as under pressure and driving, you could have loss enough coolant to drain the reservoir. On our older 04 Allure, their are two pumps in the loop from the engine to the front of the coach Over The Road heater. The rear one is famous for failure due to engine heat over the years. We went ahead and had our's bypassed, as even Country Coach will now say that only one pump was needed, with the rear being overkill. (Of course, may not apply to your year and higher (top) of the food chain model!

And I do not believe Silverleaf would have anyway of knowing if you had blown head gasket that was leaning coolant into the exhaust system. Only when the coolant was too low, would it trigger you.

And for the amount you probably loss, 3-5 gallons by the sound of it, as you still do not see the coolant after topping off, you may not have contaminated the oil enough to turn it the milky color of coolant in oil. You have lots of oil in that engine.

Hoping it is something easy, and maybe even fixed now with the tightening of the 3/4" hose.

Please let us know what you determine was root cause, and best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty: Thanks for chiming in! I just checked the capacity of the surge tank and it is 6.15 gallons. I have already put in 4 gallons and placed a wire inside the tank and it looks like it is just below the gauge.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Smitty: Another question for you that is I have OTR AC. That is not the same as OTR heater, is it?
Thanks
Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #14

I got a coolant leak and caught it right after a return home. It turned out to be a failed circulation pump. The pump was located over the driveshaft up high. I replaced the pump but some have bypassed. I suspect your pump is in the same location since our machines are the same year.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine