Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
The breaker tripped at the storage facility and the salesman switch was not off, and both house batteries are dead. When I restored power, the fault light was solid red. ...
The magnum won't charge a totally dead battery that I know of. Only a few chargers can do that, one is the NOCO X5 Genius which has a setting to force charge a totally dead battery. It is a 5 AMP charger so it will take days to recharge a set of house batteries, however. Most smart chargers will simply say the battery can't be recharged...

A possible recovery might be to start the RV's engine and let that charge the house batteries--that may work.

realize that at total discharge it is possible the batteries are damaged and will never recharge properly.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #30

12 Volts Needed First

The inverter/converter has a 12 volts DC main board. Try either a charger or jumper cables to the positive and negative terminals on the inverter/converter. Look for a reset button and a light on it. It may need a few minutes to see the light. On one I worked on was so small and hard to get to but after applying the voltage and pressing the reset the converter starting charging the battery. The inverter will not power up anything on 120 volts ac until you get the batteries back up to at least 11.6 volts DC. If your plugged in or running on generator the 120 volt will pass through to the circuits not using the batteries to invert to 120 VAC. This worked on high end coach last year after the deep freeze here in Oklahoma.
HOTR-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:16 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Very old school non tech way to bring back DEAD 0V batteries. Have used it for years. Recently used it on my tractor that I left lights on for about 2+ weeks. A simple 1 amp or less NO TECH (no battery minder or anything like that) charger left on for 48 hrs will bring back many non recoverable batteries. Will still need charged with a standard or "smart" charger.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
You may have shaved some life off the LifeLine's. But since they're new, if you get them back up to full charge again - suspect they'll be just fine, but with a tad less life!

And for that very reason (A power outage in storage!) - some of us have invested in iSocket (Or other devices.) to notify us of power outages...

I personally have had four occurrences in the last 5-7 years, where if I had not been update of 'no power to coach' - I would have damaged or lost our battery bank.

https://www.isocket.eu/gsm-power-socket-707L-US/

You might also want to call LifeLine Tech Support, and ask if after getting our LifeLine's fully charge, if they recommend a Conditioning run.

Best of luck,
Smitty
I took a cursory look at the iSocket’s website but am wondering how you use yours.

Do you run anything from the iSocket or just plug it into a 110 socket in the coach to monitor for power outage.

When power does go out, am I correct in that the iSocket sends a text message alerting loss of AC power?

As I understand it, the unit is cellular and sends a text message if power goes out. Are there any kind of monthly subscription costs if only used in that manner, the only cost being the purchase price ($199)?

Many Thanks,

Jim
Jtschnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:25 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
A simple 1 amp or less NO TECH (no battery minder or anything like that) charger left on for 48 hrs will bring back many non recoverable batteries.
Something that works a bit faster is to apply 24V with a current limited supply, like 2 dumb chargers in series through an 1156 tail light bulb. Initially it won't draw any current at all but as the battery wakes up it will start to draw more and more current, and when it's finally accepting a charge the 1156 bulb will limit the current to a safe level. At that point a regular charger can take over.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:27 AM   #34

some voltage must be present to charge

As others have noted The inverter charger does not sense any battery voltage at all. So in its program no voltage, no battery present, will not go in to a charge mode. Connect any charger source and the inverter charger will come right on line. Then remove the external charger and let the onboard system do its thing.
Buzzffr1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #35

Spartan Chassis
This thread leads me to comment about one advantage of Lithium batteries that no one talks about very much. They have a battery monitor that limits the discharge to 10 volts and then locks out the battery. This can be overcome with the application of a lithium rated battery charger that puts out at least 14.8 (I think but not sure if that is the exact voltage) which resets the monitor and starts the charging process.

The manufacturer of my batteries recommends discharging to this level every three months or so to maintain battery health.

Lithium batteries do not lose charge when stored like lead acid which is an advantage as well.

On my unit I kept the original 3000 watt inverter charger, which is not really set up for lithium batteries, it will not fully charge since its maximum voltage is 13.8, but it will serve to bring up to a level that the solar array can finish.

I also have a 12 volt to 12 volt charger that charges the lithium batteries from the engine system, protecting the alternator from excess amp draw and raising the voltage to fully charge the lithium. Typically when traveling the lithium bank gets fully charged in 3 hours of driving after an overnite using the batteries for the furnaces, lighting and microwave and Keurig coffee maker.

If I take the lithium batteries down to lock out by the battery management system I just start the engine and the charger resets the battery management system since it is made specifically for lithium batteries.

I did this installation last summer and have used it when traveling and staying at a daughters house for a week at a time. Typically can last 2-4 days without charging, more if sunny. We can make 4 days on water and holding tanks with both DW and I showering daily, so battery system matches well with the rest of the coach.

Thus far I really like the lithium system as I have configured it, remains to be seen the long term durability, but I am hopeful as most manufacturers' predict 10 year life for the batteries.
Stevens10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:36 AM   #36

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gatesway - I have that same charger in your picture. If you got a F02 code, then your battery is shorted out internally. Replace the battery.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Something that works a bit faster is to apply 24V with a current limited supply, like 2 dumb chargers in series through an 1156 tail light bulb. Initially it won't draw any current at all but as the battery wakes up it will start to draw more and more current, and when it's finally accepting a charge the 1156 bulb will limit the current to a safe level. At that point a regular charger can take over.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Great idea also! Smart chargers are great but dumb chargers still have there uses.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
The breaker tripped at the storage facility and the salesman switch was not off, and both house batteries are dead. When I restored power, the fault light was solid red.

Also, there is power to the AutoPower surge protector, but it stops there. Since, I think, the power goes from the surge protector to the inverter, that is the issue. I unplugged the ME-ARC50 from the inverter (troubleshooting page) to reset it, but it then went back into "fault mode".

I checked the breakers on the inverter, they seemed fine.

Inverter: Magnum MS2012
Batteries: Lifeline's (brand new - yes, I'm hoping they are not ruined).
Surge Protector: Surge Guard AutoPower HW-RV-50

Ideas?
I recently inadvertently tested my Lifeline battery bank.

I have 8, 300 AH Lifelines.

I Keep my coach plugged in to shore power to keep the coach alive in case I want to jump in an go No winterizing for me

so the fridge and furnace run regularly.

2 weeks ago we got snow, I was plowing and caught my cord but didn't know it.

4 days later it is 7 degrees out and My smart brain kicked in and said, if anything is going to go wrong it will be in 7 degree weather you better check the motorhome.

The furnace is running I can hear it, I go inside, check the temps 45 degrees good, I look at my batteries 9% OH Man what happened, why didn't my generator start, why don't I have any power.

I go check the breakers in the house all good.

Check the cord at the house all good.

Open the Shore power compartment, Darn, Unplugged.

Plugged it back in Inverter charger kicked on 125 amps and it took 24 hours to get them back up to 100%.

One other thing you should check is the main fuse that feeds the inverter from the batteries Mine melted and I got the same message on my screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6275.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	354142  
Old 01-18-2022, 07:17 PM   #39

I forgot to mention the AGS, which I didn't have set to Auto which would have started when the batteries got to 50% charge.

It is now set to auto.

Ted.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #40

Can anyone please answer the question Jim (Jtschnel) asked " are there any monthly costs besides the purchase price of..."?
The manufacturers site does not clearly state whether there are any monitoring costs besides the "free first month" , although it does state there are costs per text, phone call, or email message after certain numbers of messages, and states there are additional costs (unspecified amounts) for each additional set of sensors (ie.security, water flow, specific temperature, smoke/fire). Anyone have experience with these and the associated costs?
Old 01-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtschnel View Post
I took a cursory look at the iSocket’s website but am wondering how you use yours.

Do you run anything from the iSocket or just plug it into a 110 socket in the coach to monitor for power outage.

When power does go out, am I correct in that the iSocket sends a text message alerting loss of AC power?

As I understand it, the unit is cellular and sends a text message if power goes out. Are there any kind of monthly subscription costs if only used in that manner, the only cost being the purchase price ($199)?

Many Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim - Sorry I missed this!!!

I have the iSocket plugged into an outlet that is on the Non Inverter Side of the Circuit Breaker. (This coach it's the outlet that feeds the Splendide.)

Price? Well, I expect it will be between $75-100 a year. But I will get a few months of usage of the new 4G iSocket - and see what the costs average out too... (The old 3G iSocket that this unit replaced. Had a pre-paid sim, and I'd top it off periodically. Probably under $40 a year, as it had no monthly fees.)

I also have a MySpool, which is less expensive and runs of WiFi only. Many use these in their coaches for power outage reporting. I use it in the home, to monitor power outages as well as leak detection for the Water Heater. It is not as robustly built as the iSocket, and I was concerned that it might not hold up to the vibrations of traveling. So for some, this could be an option to consider too...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power, storage