Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

Lost shore and gen power 2002 Affinity

I have been pluged into a 110 outlet for the last week, as I am having a Concrete pad built for my unit where I have my 50 amp plug. On Tuesday night I was out working on some projects, and watching the president address the joint sessions . I noticed that the charger on the Hart inverter cycled on and off a few times [mod edit] when I finely went inside everything seemed OK. Last night I went out and noticed the Amps were not registering on the read out (Volts and Hertz were) and the inverter was not charging the House Batts. I checked connections and everything looked ok, but still no amps. I turned on the Gen, same thing (Volts and Hertz, no Amps). I switched back to shore same thing, I checked every circuit breaker I knew of even the ones on the electrical bay with the inverter, all good. I then went inside and searched this forum until I "passed out" looking for this problem. I got up this morning ready to hit the transfer switch with a hammer, but I metered it 1st and both sides were hot under Gen power. I also turner the main power switch on the Hart inverter off and back on. I did not disconnect the phone cable, as I can't figure out where it plugs in, and I think I may need to unbolt it from the floor to get to the phone plug (and I needed to get to work as I'm starting to feel this could be expensive, and I better make some money to pay for what ever this is). Oh last thing I started the coach, and even then the charge lights were not coming on.

So what am I missing, is it the inverter? any and all suggestions would be helpful.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am not really qualified on electrical problems but is sounds as if your transfer switch has taken a dump. I'm guessing you checked all of your breakers by turning them off completely and then back on? I hope someone more qualified comments for you soon. Good luck.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

I meter the transfer switch and it is passing electricity through on all legs I've also gone into the box above the transfer switch best as I can tell there's electricity up at their main post meter out But I appear now to of lost all power in version but I don't understand why the inverter would affect non-inverted power like the refrigerator in the microwave
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

It wouldn't affect those things. On my 02 Magna the microwave and the refrigerator ice maker are indeed inverted. Your washing machine and your air conditioners are not. If those don't work with you either Shore power or your generator it's not the inverter. Could be your surge protector.

Rich 2002 Magna
Old 03-03-2017, 05:19 AM   #5

You are correct about the microwave I misspoke however my refrigerator is definitely not inverted you probably have an all electric coach I do not and yes I'm not even trying to run the air-conditioners but my floor heat will not come on either I've been reading about the heart inverter and it does seem to have something to do with the transfer of power between inverter shore and generator And the fact that it is not charging anything makes that suspect I have turned the surge protector the bypass with no effect I'm currently charging my batteries with a car charger which has me a little scared since their AMG, right now I'm charging at 15 A once I get them topped off I'll change it over to maintain if I am doing that wrong somebody please tell me before I blow up my Nice AMG batteries
Old 03-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #6

I also have plugged back into 220 power also with no effect FYI. This is driving me crazy.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

If no AC items work it's not just your inverter you can count on that.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
If your batteries are not charging and you have lost inverter AC power but the Transfer switch is passing AC voltage, then:

Check the transfer switch breaker on the inverter itself.

Check the breakers on the wall immediately adjacent to the Inverter for your inverter controlled circuits.

Reset the GFI outlet inside your coach.

Finally, my 1995 rig and my friends 2007 Affinity have 300A Class T fuses between the inverter and house batteries.

If one of those has failed, your symptoms will result. I have one in the battery compartment and one in the Inverter compartment.

The fuses are in your schematic for your particular rig and can be purchased from a solar or marine store or online.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #9

Just to note he says he has lost every single AC device in his coach including air conditioners and other things that do not pass through the inverter transfer switch or the 300 amp fuse.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Just to note he says he has lost every single AC device in his coach including air conditioners and other things that do not pass through the inverter transfer switch or the 300 amp fuse.
I guess I missed that, and still do in re-reading the discussions.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #11

I can not find a gfi in my coach, but under the electric panel is a decora outlet (only one in the coach) probably the previouse owner replaced the gfi with non gfi. Also my inverter sits cocked at an angle bolted to the floor with a water pump for heat in front of it. With out unbolting it I really can not get to any of the access panels. I did not see the marine 300 amp fuses mentioned. A Littel More direction as to where they are located please.

I have also read that it is possible to bypass the inverter but light on specifics.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #12

Are we talking about the push button breakers, I have 2 in the inverter bay, 1 gen 1 shore they do not reset when pushed, how do I tell if they have failled
Old 03-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #13

Rich, where is the inverter on a 2002? Do you have a remote inverter panel in the front of the coach? Last, do you have a main grounding lug on the wall behind the batteries and if so, what condition is it in?? Corrosion, etc
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:35 AM   #14

The inverter is in the electric bay,behind the batteries, that would be bay 3 Dead Center of the coach. So batteries are on one side inverter and electric bay in the middle Power cord on driver-side surge protector is with power cord yes I have a remote upfront overhead. Again it is a single inverter and a single remote as I am not an all electric . Lastly the batteries do charge while running the engine and I do get inverted power with the charge batteries.

Tags
power