Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
The inverter is in the electric bay,behind the batteries, that would be bay 3 Dead Center of the coach. So batteries are on one side inverter and electric bay in the middle Power cord on driver-side surge protector is with power cord yes I have a remote upfront overhead. Again it is a single inverter and a single remote as I am not an all electric . Lastly the batteries do charge while running the engine and I do get inverted power with the charge batteries.
If you're getting inverter-made AC power into your coach then the most likely problem would seem to be the transfer switch. When our transfer switch died the result was the same as you are experiencing.

Maybe I missed the part where you've already checked this out. It's pretty easy to take the cover off the transfer switch and look at the wires and contactors inside. Be careful when doing so. With inverters in the mix there can be AC voltage in places that one may not expect to find it.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #16

I had a long talk with country coach on the phone late yesterday they are pointed me toward the surge protector and son of a gun I think that may be it even though it was lit up and I did turn it to bypass it looks like there must've been an internal failure I metered both sides hot on one Nothing on the other I'm about to jump it and see if that makes everything work and then I guess I'll need a new surge protector I'll let you know what the outcome is
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I guess I missed that, and still do in re-reading the discussions.
If you Wade through his posts he said that his floor heat didn't work. He never was clear on is air conditioners but based on the floor heat I suggested it might be his surge protector.
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #18

No not the serge. It has something to do with being hooked up to the ac breaker box. If hooked up or main breaker on it will not pass power, if disconnected or the breaker is off it will pass power. This was my mistake when metering the surge, it was still connected to the breaker panel.

I'm back to thinking it,s the inverter, but I am at a loss how to trouble shoot it.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
Old 03-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #19

Your description is not very clearly written. You need to describe more clearly what is going on. If you're saying it won't pass power to your coach when hooked up to external power depending on what you have that could be the surge protector doing its job due to a fault in the external power. Do your air conditioners work? Does your floor heat work? Or does nothing work? I would say if that is the original 2002 heart inverter it is amazing that it has not failed yet all else aside
Old 03-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #20

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
I also have plugged back into 220 power also with no effect FYI. This is driving me crazy.
I truly hope that you have mis spoke about the power being supplied by residential 220vac! (like your dryer/ electric stove/oven plug)
The RV is wired for 50a RV pedestal wiring sequence.... 110v w 2 legs supplying 50amp per leg..

PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T HOOK TO residential 220vac

If you have then very good possibility that you have "fried" the whole kit and kaboodle.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #21

The 50 amp rv plug is 2 hots a neutral and a ground. 110 or 120 per hot leg. 110 + 110 = 220 just like your stove or dryer plug. That is why it is a double pole breaker.

Now the 30 amp rv plug is only 1 hot a neutral and a ground, 110 or 120 depending.

A 50 amp rv plug actually gives you 3 &1/3 times the power of a 30 amp rv plug.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #22

I have removed the serge protector temporarily and will put it back once I figure out everything else.

The ac, fridge and floor heat do not work. Everything that does seems to work from inverted power as long as the battery stay charged. It doesn't matter if it's from shore power or the generator it is not passing through to the breaker box. If I disconnect the hot from the breaker box or turn the main breaker off and meter the Hot and neutral there is power, but the minute they are connected to the breaker box there is no power. It appears that this is caused by the heart inverter. Also the heart inverter is not charging presently. Running the coach does charge the batteries I also I'm keeping them charged somewhat with 12 Amp battery charger. The guy at country coach told me that that was safe. Yes I believe it is the original heart inverter, but as I just purchased this coach last October and did a fair amount of research on this year and model coach many of them seem to still have the original inverters in them . But yes at 14 years it could be time to replace it, I would just like to know for sure that that's the problem before I spend the money.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #23

MarylandRich, here's what you can do you seem to be electrically competent it's fairly simple way to narrow things stay down I've had to do it myself: Disconnect All Shore power. Make sure the inverter function is Switched Off or to play it safe disconnect the positive battery cable from the inverter very carefully and insulate it. Then remove the AC input and output wires from the inverter. Attach the positive and negative wires of the input and the output together. Positive to positive negative to negative using wire nuts. Reapply Shore power. If the inverter is your problem you have now bypassed it and you should have AC power to everything in your coach. If your coach is wired like my Magna, however, the AC and the floor heat have nothing to do with the inverter. Perhaps yours is wired differently. But if you do as I tell you you have completely remove the inverter from the AC system.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #24

Maybe this will help put things in context.

This drawing is in the owner's manual. As can be seen the lower right corner, it's number S0838. Maybe Country Coach can send you a copy of it if you don't have your manual.

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #25

Yes I do have that in my binder, and have been looking at it. My Coach number is 6063, and is not all electric so 1 inverter, but other then that. Thank you, and it makes me reconsider how it could possibly be the inverter. I have removed the surge protector temporarily so it can't be that I'm going to go back in and look at the transfer switch again, I'm also going to bypass all of it and hardwire directly into the breaker panel in the bedroom and make sure things work when I know there's direct power coming to it. I am also hoping that maybe when I do that the inverter will start charging again ,and hopefully removing it as the source of the problem. It really should not be this hard.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #26

Don't remember if this has been covered, but have you reset the inverter? It may not affect the 120 VAC problem but it may cause it to start charging.

To reset the inverter; At the inverter (in the basement) turn off the inverter and unplug the "Remote" cord. Looks like telephone cord-plug-socket. There are two of these cords on the inverter/charger. One is the "Remote" the other is the "TSC" (temperature sensitive charging). You're interested in the "Remote". Don't get them mixed up. Leave it unplugged for at least few minutes and then plug it back in.

You may need to restart the inverter by pressing the little blister button on the far upper/left face of the inverter/charger.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #27

I can't find where that cord goes to the inverter I assume it's underneath it which means I have to unbolt it from the floor. I have found the other end of it plugged into the remote easy to get to. If I unplug it from the remote will that give us the same outcome? Sure saves a lot of laying on my back on Joey slides in that bay.last question about the inverter I have read that the inverter should be in the off position because of the remote.I believe it even says that in the manual, is that correct or should it be in the on position?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #28

I realize others think the problem is in your surge protector and other areas.

I still think it is that you have a blown 300 Amp Class T Fuse.

Class T Fuse - Industrial Power Fuses - Littelfuse

One fuse passes charging current from your inverter to the house batteries.

The other fuse passes dc current from your house batteries to your inverter.

Your house batteries are only being charged by the alternator and then you have inverted power so the fuse protecting the inverter is ok.

The fuse you need to check is likely near your house battery bank.

My manual has a inverter circuit schematic that shows the location of the fuses. Since my rig is older it will not likely help you.

It will take about 30 seconds to test that fuse with your meter.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power