Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

Lurking and Getting Started

My name is Mike and I have been lurking for a bit. I found this site after watching some Youtube videos and gradually moving toward pre-owned top coaches. Everywhere I looked Country Coach seems to keep floating to the surface. I really like the idea that most of the depreciation has already happened and many of you still have what is a fantastic coach if properly maintained.

My present plan is retire in early 2023 and my wife and I are aligned on spending time around the country in the RV Lifestyle though likely not Full Time (My father and mother did this back the 90's for 10 years with triple-axle Avion - idea is not foreign to me).

If I were planning to buy right at this moment I would prefer an '07 to '09 Magna or Affinity, with preference toward a CAT or 600 Cummins without the issue Mr. D has thoroughly documented. I'm a bit concerned with the lack of inventory right now and waiting another year before I start looking (closer to retirement).

I'm familiar with Premier and was watching the same '06 Affinity that someone recently posted that they had bought and would pick up in Dec. That seems like an optimum way to go if an org that really knows these vehicles is the one selling if (as long as they keep it rea). Also now familiar with the other sellers in OR and AZ that are CC knowledgeable.

It seems like at some point I will have to commit to "finding" one and not just "looking", with perhaps a long window from start to finish, in the current environment. That's my plan as of now with perhaps a start sometime summer of '22.

I am not locked into an 07 to 09, but I do want the Dynamax Chassis of the Affinity and Magna. That said, I just saw this CC Prevost on RV Trader and it triggered thoughts about whether that should be a consideration. That would be at the top end of what I want to spend.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...ide-5017676200

My intent by reading here is to gain enough knowledge that I can possibly inspect a coach myself without having to pay someone to do it - recipe for disaster?

I could use some experienced insights into the following:
1. Am I thinking of this in the right way - approach and timing to buy?
2. Should I eventually set up relationships with the dealers referenced above for finding a coach (or is that a recipe for a higher price)?
3. Have I already limited the considerations too much?
4. I have not gone to the the classifieds here to see what that's like, but will do that shortly.

Mike
VASpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #2

Welcome Mike - And seems to me you are on the right path, and asking the right questions!

Some input on Affinity and Magna specifics:

-08 and 09 units will have 07 Smog Level Era CAT's (C-13 or C-15), and most of these will have CAT CXxxxx automatics too. (The CAT Automatic's themselves sometimes get bad wraps. They may not be as well known as the Allison 4000's, but they're a good transmission. With the advantage of a CAT Engine ECM talking with a CAT Automatic ECM - which yields less RPM drop, and faster more positive' shifting. This relationship can yield slightly improved MPG and better hill climbing, due to less drop in RPM's - when compared to an Allison 4000. The tradeoff is, that 'positive' shift to some, was reported as a less smooth driving experience... And the very first year of the CXxxxx transmissions had square gears, which at lower speeds gear 1 & 2, could be heard sometimes while shifting I believe the latter years they chamfered or tapered the ends of the gears, to eliminate that concern. And sure, probably easier to find Allison then CAT transmission shops, especially for in RV's.

Back to the CAT 07 Smog Level Engines. Well, they fact of the matter is they'll have higher maintenance costs over the years (More Smog 'Stuf' to maintain!) then the Pre 07 Smog Level C-13 and C-15's.) With proper maintenance, and expense associated with the higher smog related gear maintenance. These engines are reported to be relatively solid and reliable. Sure, higher chance of problems while driving due to that more Smog 'Stuf'.

Lets now turn the conversation over to ISX600 and ISX650. To the best of my knowledge, the ISX600 and 650's in 08 plus Affinity Magna's, will have DPF. This is called the CM871 engine configuration from cummins. The DPF, is added to the EGR Smog 'Stuf'. Where as the 07 era ISX600, will have the CM870 configuration engine, which is EGR only. The EGR only engines, are less problematic the the EGR with DPF era engines. The CM870 is nick named 'Dirty' ISX, and the CM871 is nick named the 'Clean' ISX. It is my understanding, that if you look at the bay doors behind the Passenger TAG, if it has Two Doors, it's a Dirty ISX. If it has One Long Door, it's a Clean ISX.

IMO, and from much research, the Dirty CM870 ISX600 has a much, much lower opportunity for the Mr D eating of an acid eroded #6 (And #5) Valve. Keep the EGR cleaned with an EGR Tune Up, every 5 years or so (Regardless of miles driven.), and the Dirty ISX600 seems to be a solid performer and reliable.

Staying on the 08 plus Affinity/Magna's - IF you want a Bath and a Half, those are the only game in town for those models.

> 05 & 06 Affinity and Magna's. We were targeting the 06 & 07 years. The 06 is a bit more KISS, without the Multiplex Lighting System, and the slides used in the 05 and 06 years were different, with less width needed at the end of each slide. Which yields more interior storage. And, the 06 had a larger Black tank, which if Boon Docking, can be an advantage.

> We personally were looking for condition of coach first, and C-13 or ISX Dirty 600 second (Did not matter to me. The C-13 might have been a bit more thirsty, and less HP and Torque - but it is one heck of an engine!) Which ever clean coach that met out needs came along first, we'd have gone with. And, I gave extra points for a Magna vs Affinity, as the windows not be the smooth sleek ones that the Affinity has, were/are less problematic.

=======

I'll share, repeating from other posts, that spending say $200K for an Affinity or Magna, and investing even another $100K in upgrades and customization to make it 'Your Coach', will provide a more satisfied years of usage then going out and maybe paying $450-550K for a used newer coach. And also IMO, a Affinity Magna if sold to day, with the current electronics and goodies - would be easily around the $1M mark...

Investing in these fine built coaches, will pay great dividends from years of usage!!!

And yes. Start a relationship with Damon or Louie at say Premier RV. It can take many, many months for a good coach to come in. And frankly the 'good one's', are never advertised - as they have customers who have approached them, waiting for specific units to come in... And the one stop shopping and expertise of service that Premier provides - well, it's unique.

$.02!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

(Join the CC FB groups too....)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #3

^^^^^^^What @Smitty_77 said..

As a new owner of a Dynamax Magna I would HIGHLY recommend approaching Brian or someone similar to inspect any CC you intend to buy. At least that way you will have a defined path to fixes and or upgrades needed. And unlike us you might not get stranded for 2 months waiting on a critical part.

That said.....My wife after 3 days in a hotel room while waiting on service just said "Its nice to be back home in the coach". Quite frankly she is 100 percent right.

We never wanted to be full timers, but got stranded with the dreaded dry PTO failure...We have learned the these CC Coaches, though older are extremely liveable for the long term and we are much happier in our coach than in the hotel room for the last 3 days, as are our furry kiddos.

We are a pre-emission CAT C13, Allison 4000, Onan Genset. We are not without our maintenence problems...We believe we are in the sweet spot as we have the best most reliable of all the CC Magna coaches AND to 2005-2006 models have bigger tankage (h2o, grey and black). We can easily upgrading our tech to 2021...

Buying a used CC or Prevost conversion I would expect at minimum some air suspension and electrical gremlins...which after our wet PTO upgrade we are now facing...but I want to stress this does not at all diminish the quality and livability. I mean we were just parked for 1.5 months not able to go anywhere and it was easy peasy..

YMMV

Welcome to the club!

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:56 AM   #4

I don't think Country Coach ever used a Dynamax chassis.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Dynomax then...call it a typo
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:

No. But most ignore the spelling error.

It is a Dynomax, proprietary CC engineered, built, “dyno tuned”chassis.

Yes there is a Dynamax RV brand, hence some people’s OCD.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Mike just missed an emoji at the end, but we know it were there :-).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #8

yep just screwing around
Old 12-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #9

But if you can find one with a Cummings engine in it.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
!
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Saw it all the time.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #12

our hunt was for an 08 magna with a cm870. We had an inspire for a good while before the magna so i knew what i was looking for. I wanted the disc brakes all around as well as a few minor upgrades over the 07 but mostly just a lot of brake. I also wanted the 600 not so much for power but more jake brake I the 15 L. Since i knew what i wanted colors and such had to be secondary .There are a finite amount of these coaches out there so if one is looking and knows what they want you have to be ready to buy .You dont have the luxury of shopping to much unless you open up your specs.Our rig is 6882 but i dont remember when they ran out of engines and went with the 871s. I did have the serial number range when i was looking and found ours in texas. My wife just happend to be in austin and i had her take a look and she bought it on site. I didnt see it for a few months later when i went to pick it up.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #13

Thanks much, Smitty, for the quick reply. From your inputs I think I can narrow things down pretty quickly to a CM870 powered 08 or 09, or a C-13 or C-15 in the same two years (did I interpret that correctly?). I believe I remember an Andrew Steel video with Louie talking about this particular engine being one of the best RV engines ever?

Does not need to be a 1 1/2 bath, but it would be nice.

I do like the look of the Affinity windows, but have heard Brian, of Brian's RV Videos (not sure of last name) talking about leakage, BUT, if they were going to leak that would have done by now. What I read you to say is that one must keep after them. Not sure I want that problem.

Your advice to save a lot of space in the budget for updates/upgrades/baselining seems really smart. I'll look to be less tempted at a coach at the very top of my range so that I won't have problems when "stuff happens".

I was really appreciative to see you reply here as you were constantly in the posts I read before posting the first time. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #14

Thank you, Chris, for your inputs. I think I probably triggered alot of the Dyn"a"max shenanigans with my own misspelling.

Is "Brian" the same Brian from the videos? If so, I think I have found a website for him and can reach out this way.

I am looking at the 07 through 09 models because I do enjoy a bit of electronics, though I often seem like I'm chasing them. Probably good to know guys like Brian and others on this forum that have been-there-done-that. Sorry to hear about your PTO issues though it reads like you are learning a lot in a hurry because of that.

Thanks for your inputs! Much appreciated.