Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2023, 04:02 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Magna 630 rear suspension

I have a 630 magna. The rear end goes down in about 20 minutes of engine shut off. It stays up going down the road. I have had the rear air components checked and they found a few very small leaks in a couple of solenoids which we replaced. They were not the culprit. If they had been, it would have been a day or more for the decent of the rear end. I am suspecting the air pressure that supports the rear end is being diverted to an air tank by the HWH, because the air pressure will hold about 120 over night but the rear drops anyway
Any ideas? I would appreciate. When we park-up, I have to lower the whole RV to to maintain a height. If I level with the HWH, it works but the rear will sink in just a bit and necessitate re-levelling. Also, there is no whooshing sound of air expelling as it sinks. Nothing like dumping the air to lower with the HWH.
I sold the Matisse and purchased this Magna two years ago. I need to update my signature.
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2023, 05:38 AM   #2

Your issue is puzzling. If I read your description correctly whether you just stop and park the MH or you level with the HWH the rear end drops after 20 minutes? If you have levelled with the HWH does the 12 volt compressor come on to try an re-level the coach? I can’t help but believe there is still a leak(s) which have not been found. If the air tanks are holding pressure over night then the air trouble is after them and I too don’t understand what is blocking the air from leaving the tanks. I would start at each of the rear air bags and soap every fitting on forward.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:24 AM   #3

A leak is the only reason for the rear to drop.

It's like a tire, you put air in and it stays unless it has a leak.

The ride height valves are what holds the air in the bags. Look for a leak from them to the bags.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:53 AM   #4

Thanks all
Seems the consensus is that there is a leak somewhere in the back. Let me add some information. My mechanic (very thorough guy) spent a lot of time spraying soap solution on all the components and only found two small leaks in solenoid valves ( which we replaced). Maybe I am wrong but a leak capable of lowering the rear end in 30 minutes would make a pretty big sound, and there is no audible sound now that the solenoids have been replaced. That is why I thought that the air was going back into a tank and the HWH was telling it to.
Perhaps I can find a diagram of the air circuit for the rear lift circuit?
I will report the finding and thanks again for the responses. I agree with them except for the lack of noise from the discharge of the air loss
Old 03-29-2023, 10:10 AM   #5

The air could be going back to the tanks if the tanks are lower in pressure the the air bags BUT that can only happen if the air is backfeeding thru the ride height valves.

If its leaking back, it would also be leaking forward when the tanks are full, causing your ride to top out above ride height.

If you leave it running, dies the rear of the RV keep moving up ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:13 AM   #6

Please confirm that you have air leveling.

If so, could be a problem in your rear "6 pack".
Old 03-29-2023, 10:38 AM   #7

I do have air levelling, yes
While engine is running, the RV does not raise higher than travel mode. It can be over-raised by the levelling button on the HWH or the raise button.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #8

On my old rig my front air leveling would bleed down in a couple of hours once the engine (and its air compressor) was turned off.

My air tank pressure gauge would also decrease.

My repair was replacing the air hose tank connection at the tank near the front axle. $0.60 cost with a spray of dawn & water.

Has your mechanic checked the fittings at the air tanks?

Both of mine are near the front axle.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:56 AM   #9

I think he has only checked the rear of the RV where the problem appears. I will suggest he check the air tanks in the front. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-30-2023, 10:38 AM   #10

If the only thing holding air in the back is the bladders, it would not take long to leak down. I think I was wrong thinking it would be a big leak. Those four bladders would not hold nearly as much a tire at 100psi.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #11

I am working through the same issue with my Magna 630. I was not able to find any leaks using soapy water but I knew there had to be a leak somewhere. I ordered an ultrasonic leak detector from Amazon and quickly identified two leaking solenoids on the tag axle manifold above the transmission. Olstroms ordered new solenoids and I plan on having all of them on that manifold replaced since it is so difficult to access. He also suggested carefully checking the electronic valves for the air venting (switch in the cabinet behind the driver's seat) located below the coach behind the front steps as these valves are also prone for failure (mine are okay). I was impressed with the ultrasonic detector as it was quick, easy to use, and cleaner than spraying soapy water under the coach to look for a leak.
MECMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECMagna View Post
I ordered an ultrasonic leak detector from Amazon...I was impressed with the ultrasonic detector as it was quick, easy to use, and cleaner than spraying soapy water under the coach to look for a leak.
That detector sounds interesting. Can you provide a link to the one you purchased?
Old 04-05-2023, 07:23 AM   #13

Inficon Whisper Ultrasonic Leak Detector. The headphones that come with the unit are low quality so I used higher quality plug-in earphones which worked very well. They made small hard to detect leaks sound like a jet engine!
MECMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 09:17 AM   #14

How about selling it to me for half price and I return it to you so you have only half in it. my veracity is only the fact that i am a fellow 630magna owner of good rapport on this forum. My mechanic has sprayed soap water till he is tired of it. I would first check with him to find if he would be willing to try this method.
How is this different than a simple stethoscope? i have one of those for isolating machine noises.

Tags
rear, suspension