Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 11:10 PM   #15

Just a quick update. Owner and I agreed on a price of $30,000 pending passing of its inspections next Thu. I'm not really expecting any problems, he has great records, but you never know. Once I get it I need to buy 2 steer tires, get the paint fixed $2k and move in. May go too Escapees Rally in early March in Tucson... Well that's the plan. Then TX for domicile etc... 😜👍
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #16

Congrats Uncle Billy. I think that's a great deal on a nice looking coach. Many happy miles.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #17

Such a classic model for CC, happy for you!!! Smooth highways ahead for you.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #18

Update. House got inspected, no problems. Everything works as it should. Inspector didn't believe Coach is almost 20yrs old...
Now chassis is another story. So far list of things too fix is 28 items long. Most are small, but they sure do add up.

Cruise control doesn't work and since its obsolete it would be over $2000 to replace. Jake brake also doesn't work, but may just be a linkage...

If I pay him $30,000 like we agreed, I already need to spend say $600 on 2 tires, $2k on clearcoat, plus inspections cost me $750 together.... I don't want too add another say $3500 on to these expenses 😡

Whatever total cost is I'm going too try and get him too eat those costs on our final price... Or walk... 😖

Your thoughts ??
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
The coach is a '96! Things are going to be wrong and will go wrong as soon as you sign on the dotted like. I think you have beat the owner up pretty bad and if it was my coach, 30K is the price
Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #20
laj

an agreed upon price is a deal. you will never find everything wrong until you own it for awhile. if i was the owner, i would ask you to leave and not bother me anymore.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:39 AM   #21

With respect to the non-functioning Jake Brake....

Are you confident you have a "Jake Brake" and not a "PacBrake" ? My 97 36' CC has a PacBrake with a 3-position rocker switch (Off, Low and High) and its functionality is a little unique.

The system works like this.

Low

Cruise control must be switched to the OFF position.
Put console switch on low, console switch glows green.
Transmission does not downshift, not in circuit.
When you remove your foot from the throttle the dash light comes on and the exhaust brake closes. It is difficult to tell if in fact the brake closed if the engine is running.
The easiest way to verify if the actuator is moving is to turn the key on, leave motor off, cruise control switched off and then move rocker to middle (Low) position. You will get the green light on the dash and if you have someone in the bedroom of the coach you can definitely hear the actuator close.

High

Put console switch on high, console switch glows green.
Cruise control can be either on or off.
When you remove your foot from the throttle, the dash light comes on, and the exhaust brake closes, the transmission selects 2d gear and starts downshifting until it obtains second gear. Once you slow to 15 mph the PAC brake disengages.

If you are sure you have a "Jake Brake" then disregard
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Other than the items you mention, I would be prepared to spend at least another $2K on 'stuff' you can't immediately identify now. I would take the coach to a competent chassis shop and replace all fluids, check/replace hoses, filters, belts, service air dryer, lube, rear diff. Fluid change, coolant flush and fill. Unless, of course, you can determine without question these things have been done as part of ongoing preventative maintenance. Also, service the generator... fuel filter, oil filter, oil change, air filter, coolant flush and fill.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Your Intrigue has an exhaust brake, probably just needs to be lubed. The king control for the cruise control can be repaired for a couple of hundred, theres a guy who does this, don't really need the cruise anyway unless your doing a lot of driving. Don't need to spend the $2000 to re clear coat. This can be made to virtually disappear with regular waxing the exposed area.
Billy, unless you can do the small repairs yourself I would not buy an RV, they are always needing small repairs and maintaince, if your not mechanically handy I'd give up on this. Or, unless you can really afford to have someone else do it for you.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #24

Appreciate the extra info. It is a exhaust brake, linkage needs to be replaced and it should work. Cruise control does work, glad to hear that. Will see if I can get owner to eat some of the repair costs tonight or will have to pay him agreed price of $30k. I'll have to learn how to do some fixes myself. I do have friends that can help, so that's good. May pick up tomorrow and take back to Colton Truck so they can do all maintenance before I hit the road next month 😜👍
Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #25

Its a 99 that's why he is charging 30k. I would pay the man the 30 and keep him as a friend and ally. You may want to be able to call him in the future for information.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #26

My 98 has a Pac brake and it needs to be lubed. Maintenance | Pacbrake 30k seems pretty good. You must have known about the clear coat and the tires before making a offer. You may try and get some of the chassis repair cost. Hard to believe there are 28 chassis problems. Could you list them? I'm just curious.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #27

[QUOTE=UncleBilly;2414548]Appreciate the extra info. It is a exhaust brake, linkage needs to be replaced and it should work. Cruise control does work, glad to hear that. Will see if I can get owner to eat some of the repair costs tonight or will have to pay him agreed price of $30k. I'll have to learn how to do some fixes myself. I do have friends that can help, so that's good. May pick up tomorrow and take back to Colton Truck so they can do all maintenance before I hit the road next month 😜👍[/

Seems like the coach has sold itself to you in general, especially it seems you like the interior condition. While you don't mention the specifics of the chassis items identified as needing attention, hopefully a competent shop can also review the chassis and give you a 'Do these now' and a 'Add these into future maintenance' groupings. Colton Truck is such a shop...

I recommend getting the safety related items out of the way first, and then feather in the cosmetic and nice to do items slowly. I also suggest pushing out the cosmetic and nice to do items, until at least 6 months of ownership is under your belt. That way if something more important pops up - you have the budget to cover it readily available.

I'm in the school of believing that paying a 'fair price', or even a bit more then the going rate, is more important than getting a 'killer deal' - FOR THE RIGHT COACH FOR YOU.

Say you end up paying $5K more than the normal rate for a coach (just making up the $5K number). If you own and use that coach for 5 plus years, that comes out $83 a month at five years - thats a low price to pay for the enjoyment of a coach that is 'right' for you...

Opinions vary!!!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #28

Well spoke to owner last night about cost too fix problems and he wouldn't budge on price, so I had too pay $30k I did get him down $4500 from his asking, so I'm not going too complain.

Picked her up this morning and drive her home. Boy the freeways sure suck in LA area 😜 Once I hit a smooth patch, rig just floats. Very quiet and smooth. Very happy!

Colton Truck and Rich have been great. Can't say enough good things about him and his inspection. Will take back so he can fix problems at the end of the month...

Then on too Tucson for Escapees Boot Camp and their Rally. Lots too learn, but should be best place too do so! Gotta buy tickets on Monday, hope that works out...

Thanks too all for their help and insights, I'm sure I'll have questions as I hit the road! 😜👍

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1423360297.954318.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	85497