Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Mystery Air System malfunction

I've owned and lovingly cared for a 1996 Intrigue for the past 20 years and it has treated me very well, under $5K in repair costs and that included a cracked exhaust manifold. Recently however I've run into a problem I can't diagnose and wonder if anyone else has experienced the same. I have an HWH air bag leveling system which has always worked perfectly. Installed new ride height control units and new air bags around 2 years ago. Lately when I park it for storage, the rear air bags (both of them) raise some 2" above level travel position in about 24 hrs. Can't see them rising or hear any air noise. When I park I always shut off all coach and chassis battery switches, so no power is getting to the HWH system. No change in the front air bags, they stay at the same level travel height position. I don't level the coach when parking, just leave it in the travel position. To compound the problem, about half the time I lose all air pressure in the tanks. Gages go to zero. Other times the tanks stay above 100psi for days. I've sprayed all hose connections with leak detecting fluid, no leaks, no noise of escaping air, air dryer seems to work perfectly, can't seem to detect a problem.
I've a call into HWH but its a two week wait for a return tech call, so wondering if anyone here has a clue. I'm inclined to think it could be a HWH solenoid leak, but which one? Or two problems, perhaps the dryer is occasionally leaking air, though it cant be heard.
Help! Any clues? Thanks, Mike
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Sounds like a suspension level valve problem. Do you have 1 or 2 valves(left and right) for each axel? Could be that it slowly creeps up, then the level valve starts to dump air out and that drains your air tanks. Try dumping the suspension and see if the air leaks down. If it doesn't, then it must be in the suspension system some place. If it still leaks down it possibly could be slowly leaking out past a check valve in the air drier exhaust port.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #3

It does sound like the travel solenoid leaking but with both bags inflating not sure. Here is the HWH 500 series troubleshooting guide. See if this helps.

HWH 500 troubleshooting mauual.pdf
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

My 1997 Intrigue (Gillig chassis) has a single leveling valve on the rear but there are 2 travel valve solenoids, one for each air bag. They are T'd together. Did you spray the leveling valve to see if it is leaking?

On my 1997 the rear solenoid block is behind the passenger rear tires so they see a lot of "weather". The travel solenoids are the top two if I remember correctly.

Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

That leveling valve feeds the travel solenoids. For the coach to rise I would think that one or both of those solenoids is leaking allowing air to flow to the air bags. If both sides are rising then it would seem that both solenoids are leaking as one solenoid only feeds one air bag. If this continues, eventually the travel valve would reach the point where it starts to bleed off excess air to bring the coach to the normal travel height.

I think it is possible that 20+ year old solenoids are failing. If you think about it, your RV spends most of it's time rolling down the road with the travel solenoids engaged, the raise and lower solenoids don't get nearly the same amount of use.

**** CORRECTION FROM MY PREVIOUS POST **** The travel solenoids are the two lowest of the 6 solenoids in that block.

Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Mystery air solved - I hope!

Al last got a return call from HWH. They suggested I swap travel solenoid with either the raise or lower solenoids to see if that affects the issue. After 48 hrs, no air leakage, holding at 110 lbs when parked, the rear bags stay at ride height when parked. Everything perfect for now. Suspect slight leakage in the travel solenoids, may just have needed tighting? Thanks to those who offered solutions.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote