Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Need help ASAP

Headed to Michigan from Indiana in our 2002 allure. Having odd issues that I need help with. I would guess all are related but not sure.
1. system above door says waiting for AC at all time unless I'm plugged in.
2. All 3 batteries (2 house and 1 chassis) are all saying they have the same charge but the coach won't start without using the battery boost.
3. the last one is so odd that it only repeats itself every once and awhile. generator starts and runs then shuts off. light on gen set blinks 3 times. Wait 15 minutes and it starts and runs fine. Very odd. fuel level is full.

Any help would be great. The plan is to be in the cold running the gen set to charge the house batteries as needed and having the furnace on at all times to help prevent freezing in the basement.

thanks in advance.

Tom
swjtlongdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How old are the batteries? Have you cleaned the terminals? I would charge each battery individually and load test.

The waiting for Ac sounds like an inverter. Can you post a picture or more info of what the unit is?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

redbaron. thanks for the reply. I just went out and cleaned the terminals. I'll try and start in a few minutes and see if that works. chasis battery is about 15 months old. house batteries are approx. 28 months old. house batteries have fill holes, should I try topping these off with distilled water?

Regarding gen set, I just found that a friend traveling with me didn't put fuel cap back on so I've replaced with one from auto zone. Any thoughts that this could've been the gen set issue? maybe a pressure issue?

pix included of the inverter.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

ok, working on posting of the picture now. new to this.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

can't get pix to work but it is a xantrex rv2012 inverter. is there a way to reset this inverter? would that help?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

If i check the connection on the batteries can i just remove the neutral cable from the chassis battery then the positive then replace in the opposite order. positive then neutral?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swjtlongdriv View Post
can't get pix to work but it is a xantrex rv2012 inverter. is there a way to reset this inverter? would that help?
Do you have shore power connected? What about your coach battery disconnects?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If i check the connection on the batteries can i just remove the neutral cable from the chassis battery then the positive then replace in the opposite order. positive then neutral?
Yes. Remember this is DC so it is ground(earth) and positive. The point being that you may have a loose connection where the battery ground connects to the chassis so check that as well.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
redbaron. thanks for the reply. I just went out and cleaned the terminals. I'll try and start in a few minutes and see if that works. chasis battery is about 15 months old. house batteries are approx. 28 months old. house batteries have fill holes, should I try topping these off with distilled water?

Regarding gen set, I just found that a friend traveling with me didn't put fuel cap back on so I've replaced with one from auto zone. Any thoughts that this could've been the gen set issue? maybe a pressure issue?

pix included of the inverter.
Don't add water until fully charges or else it could boil over. If very low you may have to add some but just to barely cover the metal. Be prepared to clean up a boil over.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #10

On not starting, if the terminal cleaning did not cure it. Follow the path back from the starter cleaning and testing if needed.

Please keep us in the loop, and also provide year an coach number - it might help.
Best,
Smitty
04 Allure 31017
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
1. system above door says waiting for AC at all time unless I'm plugged in.
This is normal operation.
2. All 3 batteries (2 house and 1 chassis) are all saying they have the same charge but the coach won't start without using the battery boost.
Open the "hood" of the coach. Down on the right side, you will see a relay whit some large wires on it. It is bolted to the rear side of the fuel filter compartment in the engine bay. It is one of the relays in the starting circuit and it will occasionally fail. Try giving it a good whack or two and then try to start the coach. You could also have a bad relay on the starter.

3. the last one is so odd that it only repeats itself every once and awhile. generator starts and runs then shuts off. light on gen set blinks 3 times. Wait 15 minutes and it starts and runs fine. Very odd. fuel level is full.
I would check for fault codes on the generator. Having to much oil in it can cause an issue with running.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
You can go on to the internet and down load a manual for the gen set and it should have the fault codes for the generator. I can't remember what my fault codes were. But the codes I had said that the generator was not getting up to temperature. This would only happen when the generator was already up to operating temp and I had to restart it for some reason. It was a bad sensor.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #13

The RV2012 should have fuses and switches that can be reset if tripped. Check the back too, as I think I remember that a reset switch is on this side as well.

The relay to tap, is one of the items within the path of the power to the starter I was talking about too. The 'tap, tap' is known to sometimes help! You said that when using the boost, it will start, so I agree with the double checking of the chassis battery to be sure all is good. Do you have a hydrometer that you can use to test the cells?

Generator, yep, read the manua or go onine and get it (assume the QD7500) and get your error code. They are stored, so you can do this without needing to wait for it to repeat.

Best of luck!!! And please report back on what you find out, as it can help others who read this thread off of search in the future. (Though I find this search feature less then slick, it has several times brought me to threads that have helped me solve a problem, or learn how to do something.)
Smitty
04 Allure 31017
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote