Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

New Air Bags leak down

This is the reason I try to do all my own coach maintenance!! My rear airbags were original and starting to show weather cracks and did not want to have one blow out on the road somewhere so I decided to have them replaced today at a local suspension shop. First they call me and say that after the mechanic installed the bags there was an air leak and several fittings needed to be replaced, I stated that this was puzzling because I didn't have any leaks when I dropped it off. Anyhow I said go ahead and repair the leak. When I picked up the coach I thought it was odd that the coach was sitting low in the rear and the airbags seemed to be deflated but after I started it up the airbags filled up and came up to ride height and I drove it home. I parked it in front of house and when I came back out about an hour later the rear of the coach is sitting low and the airbags are deflated ?? my old bags would stay inflated for weeks even months even if all the air leaked out! Of course they are closed for the weekend and have to wait until Monday to call them. Anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? Both air pressure needles are at 110 psi. TIA
99 Allure
1999 CC Allure 36 DTSG #30317
USAF Retired
dhetrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would take it back to the truck shop. You paid them to do it right.

Hope they get it done for you.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #3

If you feel comfortable getting under you coach spray all fittings with soapy water and look for bubbles.
***Make sure coach is blocked up before getting under***
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
TR4

Remember, your air suspension uses the wet tank for air. Your gauges read primary and secondary tank pressure only. Like Mike said, spray hoses, ride height valves and fittings starting at the air bags that were replaced.

Bill
Old 01-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a similar scenario happen to me in 2017..though the coach was not having the air bags replaced. I was charged $6400 for new fittings, solenoids, and to repair the "air leaks". The "repair" resulted in the front left AIR SPRING over-inflating. The air did not transfer from side to side.

Thus, with the front left air bag fully extended, ALL the suspension characteristics were transferred to the front left tire. The tire failed at 70mph on the I-40 just east of Gallup, N.M. and the motorhome, along with my entire family, came within inches of rolling off the highway.

You only have once choice at this point. Take matters into your own hands. Do your homework on your motorhome's entire suspension system. Ensure that the repairs were made with the correct parts. (Especially the ride-height valve) As my fellow RVers said, check every fitting with soapy water, replace with correct factory parts if possible.
BigALBigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigALBigRig View Post
I had a similar scenario happen to me in 2017..though the coach was not having the air bags replaced. I was charged $6400 for new fittings, solenoids, and to repair the "air leaks". The "repair" resulted in the front left AIR SPRING over-inflating. The air did not transfer from side to side.

Thus, with the front left air bag fully extended, ALL the suspension characteristics were transferred to the front left tire. The tire failed at 70mph on the I-40 just east of Gallup, N.M. and the motorhome, along with my entire family, came within inches of rolling off the highway.

You only have once choice at this point. Take matters into your own hands. Do your homework on your motorhome's entire suspension system. Ensure that the repairs were made with the correct parts. (Especially the ride-height valve) As my fellow RVers said, check every fitting with soapy water, replace with correct factory parts if possible.
WOW! It really does show how important it is to safety, to have competent repair facilities performing the work!!

Please share where the work was done, so other's can avoid it... And if you have not already, post what happened to RVSERVICEREVIEW.COM (It's only as valuable as the time people take to update it... Pro, and Con...).

Roll safely, and best to you and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #7

Agree to start at the air bag fittings, and back to the RHV, and then to the solenoids. Over tightening of those compression fittings will cause a leak.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Remember, your air suspension uses the wet tank for air. Your gauges read primary and secondary tank pressure only. Like Mike said, spray hoses, ride height valves and fittings starting at the air bags that were replaced.

Bill
I didn't know that about the wet tank supplying air to the suspension, thanks! So I got under the coach yesterday with my spray bottle and sure enough there is a leak at the right comfort valve. For some reason they spliced a new piece of air line from the frame to the comfort valve? Also I saw the fitting that they said needing replaced, it was the elbow on the bottom of the ride height valve which I am pretty confident they broke when installing the air bag. So going back to the shop tomorrow to ask why the line and fittings had to be replaced when I didn't have any leaks when I came in.. and repair the leak that I paid $150 to have repaired It is so hard finding competent repair facilities that you can trust!
USAF Retired
Old 01-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #9

" It is so hard finding competent repair facilities that you can trust!"

You are not an unreasonable drive away from Tucson area. Eric Oldstrum is a well thought of Country Coach expert, and his shop books out in advance. (I've never personally met Eric, but many CC owner's have reported favorable results.)

Also near you, is near you, is another shop I've also never been to, but again owner's of man coaches have spoken highly of them Massey's Diesel & RV Repair.

Finally, we usually schedule a yearly round thru Oregon. Both because we like the area, as well as we also then stop in for annual maintenance. Premier RV in Junction City is where we go. Oregon Motor Coach also gave us good service for several years, but I followed Service Manager Jim Cooley over to Premier, because I had developed a trust in working with him. And many still use Country Coach, now Winnebago. Kaiser Brake and Alignment is well thought of for chassis related work. And shops like Premier and OMC, would sometimes have work accomplished by them on behalf of customers (Alignment's, as one example.) All of these shops and more, are loaded in the Eugene/Junction City area. And no Sales Tax is a plus too...

Both at OMC, and Premier, I got to know the Tech's working on our House and Chassis. And sure 'STUF' happens, it's how a business works with you to fairly resolve an issue that might popup that matters. I feel that I've been fairly treated, and any issues that popped up were worked out to my satisfaction... That is why I like to build relationships, and I only do so with shops that I feel are straight shooters...

Rambling over. And feel sorry for your problem. I would suggest, when you go back to this place - if you get any push back or double talk, eat the costs and move onto another shop... Anything dealing with chassis, in this case air, can be a safety item - make sure the shop fixing what was done, is competent to do so. This shop, has in my thinking '2 strikes' against them... Why take a chance... Maybe approach them on a cost adjustment/refund on the bill, and move on?

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #10

They will probably tell you that on a 20 year old coach, things sometimes break when you try to service them.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #11

If you paid via credit card and get no satisfaction when you take your coach back, dispute the charge with your credit card company. The purpose is strictly to inconvenience the shop, as they did perform the service you paid for, and to get them to fix the problem they *might* have created. It's also possible that other parts that were fixin' to die, coincidentally did so.

In service, one does not "buy an outcome", rather one is paying for technician hours, parts, and shop overhead... and some shops will hide behind that.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #12

If your ride height valves are older than 5 years I would go ahead and replace as well. Both rears should be replaced at the same time.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #13

Its not so easy to change air bags and the air fitting may not be in a great place to access. When I did mine the shop says he just cuts off the fitting and puts a new one on. It saves time and assures a fresh new connection that not going to leak.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Its not so easy to change air bags and the air fitting may not be in a great place to access. When I did mine the shop says he just cuts off the fitting and puts a new one on. It saves time and assures a fresh new connection that not going to leak.
They did that, put new quick connect fittings on the new airbags which makes sense. It was the other odd location repairs that I had a problem with. Anyhow I took the coach back yesterday they were very apologetic and will repair at no cost additional cost so fingers crossed I get my coach back air leak free.
USAF Retired

Tags
ags, air, leak