Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #15

You can find info on all of those issues here on this forum. Just keep scrolling down.
The PTO (power take off) operates the hydraulic pump that supplies power to your cooling fan, and power steering. CC switched from a engine mounted PTO to a tranny mount somewhere in the years 2003, 2004. The shaft was not continuously lubricated.
Not much informed on the radiator issues, so can't help you there.
I would also go to the Cummins forum, and read up on the CAPS issues.
Wax Valve instead of the Sauer-Danfoss fan controller is another one to read up on.
Everything mentioned here is not unique to CC, but all similar brands have the same issues.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #16

Many RV Manufactures had coaches in the era you're looking at, that may have been sourced with an aluminum radiator that was prone for failure.

Two easy ways to see if a coach has aluminum vs steel radiator.
1) Looking up at the side ends/caps of the radiator, if you see a series of bolts, it's steel.
2) Take a magnet and if it sticks to the side ends/caps of the radiator, it's steel.

And as more time goes by, the chances of one of the crop of suspect aluminum radiators being a none problem for an owner, increases... (From what I recall during my research. Somewhere in the 2-6 year age, seemed to be the higher failure period. Probably higher milage, cycles heating & cooling, added to failures too.

Many of the service tech's I've talked to over the years, had opinions that the suspect batch of aluminum radiators would have some that would never fail. They're thoughts were as more time goes by without a failure, the odd's of future failure drops.

So while checking CC's of this era, check to see if a radiator is steel or aluminum. If aluminum, factor that into your purchase price offer. IMO, this was more important, and a higher cost offset was appropriate say ~6-8 years ago. Because the suspect batch of aluminum radiators were still seeming to fail at a high rate. Today, good chance that failure has taken place, and a new radiator has been installed. An if an OEM suspect batch aluminum radiator is still in a coach (6-7 years later.) - the odd's reduce of a failure. So thus the risk of this expensive repair is reduced.

Yeah, I'm rambling, it's my nature. The reality is that any coach, new or used, always has a chance of a component failing - it's the nature of RV ownership. Good maintenance practices can reduce the risks of failures on many fronts, but not completely eliminate them. When shopping for any used item, I always look at two key things: 1) My physical examination and due diligence looking over the product; 2) Review of all maintenance receipts (And as nice as a person maybe, and as honest as they appear. My policy is if 'It ain't documented with receipts to prove it was done. Then I don't consider it done.') I bought a used Bounder as our first RV. The 1st owner had a log book of date, mileage and item of maintenance. And with this log, he handed me a receipt folder. He did much of his own maintenance, but I could find a receipt for all of the service he had said he'd done himself. (Oil, filters, belts, etc.). That was an ideal purchase of a used item. An conscientious owner with good grasp of what needed to be maintained, a log backing what he had done or paid to have done, and a folder of all of the receipts related to maintenance on his RV.

OK, done rambling, for now!

OP - Due your best to work with either a private owner, and or reputable RV sales place. If you do not feel comfortable inspecting things yourself, pay for a pre purchase inspection from someone that is competent to do so.

My last comment related to price. I'd rather buy a well cared for and documented coach at perhaps a higher then rock bottom price, or even a bit above the average price for the coach - then buy a coach at rock bottom price point, that had unproven history of care. 5% more for a coach that you feel is 'right' for you and in good documented shape, is worth considering.

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
If you are looking for CC then look at Damon's site and you can see what CC built.
He has all the different years,models and specs.

damon rapozo
turbine52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dan! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #19

Just some thoughts. The CCs can have a macerator toilet, so water use is high and dumping may be required every three days or so.
The 2006 Intrigue has a note on the dash that says it is 12'8" high, so we use 13'. We are 6'3" and have no clearance problems inside, but the 6'8" sons have to duck.
At 42' we have not had any issues with size and parking, but it has the Independent front suspension, not a solid axle, and the turning on the front axle is quite sharp, a lot better than my 2012 dually pickup. Also, the tag has a lift function to help with sharp turns.
The coach has a C-13 Cat at 525 HP and 1650 Torque. There is no DEF. There is a true engine Jake brake. It likely goes up the NW grades about as well as a shorter coach with a smaller engine. Mileage is 6.5 towing.
The shocks on a CC are suspect. Plan on replacing them. Also, plan on adding air flow control valves to the suspension. Smitty has commented on them earlier, but the big effect in my mind is they reduce or eliminate all the little steering corrections. The difference to me on I5 from Eugene to Portland was very noticeable, going from constant minor corrections to almost no corrections.
We have an aluminum radiator. At 10+years and 60,000 miles I don't think too much about it, but do note the expansion tank (steel) had a pinhole leak near the cap and did cause minor overheating issues. Got that fixed.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #20

If you know what years you're looking at try oodle.com it list all websites except craigslist and you can find sites that cover that. Pre 2001 have a solid front axle and don't have as tight a turning radius as the independent front suspension. 36' coaches in the Allure and Intrigue seem to be hard to find. 2 yrs ago I was looking for a 2001-2003 and ended up flying to Fl. to get the coach we now have. I looked a multiple 36' Inspire and was very underwhelmed with the quality and problems that I could find by just doing a walk around. If you want more information you might want to consider joining rv.org I found it was well worth the dollars I spent and saved my thousands when it came to buying a coach.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
If you know what years you're looking at try oodle.com it list all websites except craigslist and you can find sites that cover that. Pre 2001 have a solid front axle and don't have as tight a turning radius as the independent front suspension. 36' coaches in the Allure and Intrigue seem to be hard to find. 2 yrs ago I was looking for a 2001-2003 and ended up flying to Fl. to get the coach we now have. I looked a multiple 36' Inspire and was very underwhelmed with the quality and problems that I could find by just doing a walk around. If you want more information you might want to consider joining rv.org I found it was well worth the dollars I spent and saved my thousands when it came to buying a coach.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
We are looking for 2002 to 2004 years as we want to stick to just 2 slides. I decided to also look at the 40' coaches, they seem easier to find and have some very nice features.

The independent front suspension was one of the main factors in deciding to concentrate the search on just CC motorhomes. I want the better handling and tighter turning it provides. Our Seabreeze has independent front suspension and is very maneuverable, I'd hate to give that up when we upgrade.

Is it common for buyers to have to fly long distances to buy a coach? I do not like to fly at all, I'd hate to think that will make it impossible to buy a CC.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
Just some thoughts. The CCs can have a macerator toilet, so water use is high and dumping may be required every three days or so.
The 2006 Intrigue has a note on the dash that says it is 12'8" high, so we use 13'. We are 6'3" and have no clearance problems inside, but the 6'8" sons have to duck.
At 42' we have not had any issues with size and parking, but it has the Independent front suspension, not a solid axle, and the turning on the front axle is quite sharp, a lot better than my 2012 dually pickup. Also, the tag has a lift function to help with sharp turns.
The coach has a C-13 Cat at 525 HP and 1650 Torque. There is no DEF. There is a true engine Jake brake. It likely goes up the NW grades about as well as a shorter coach with a smaller engine. Mileage is 6.5 towing.
The shocks on a CC are suspect. Plan on replacing them. Also, plan on adding air flow control valves to the suspension. Smitty has commented on them earlier, but the big effect in my mind is they reduce or eliminate all the little steering corrections. The difference to me on I5 from Eugene to Portland was very noticeable, going from constant minor corrections to almost no corrections.
We have an aluminum radiator. At 10+years and 60,000 miles I don't think too much about it, but do note the expansion tank (steel) had a pinhole leak near the cap and did cause minor overheating issues. Got that fixed.
I have no problem upgrading the shocks and air ride, anything to improve the handling. My seabreeze has Bilstein shocks and bigger swaybars, something I added soon after buying it, and it's made a huge difference in the handling and ability to handle cross winds. Totally worth the investment.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #23

Sanddan,
Biggest advantage moving up to a 40' is a open bathroom. Our 02 36' evening star had almost as much room up front as a 40', but the bathroom/shower was accessed by a kinda narrow hallway.
Been told by several CC techs that 02 models was one of their best years.
I wouldn't think being from OR you would have to travel very far. I would stay in touch with Kenai Coach as he travels to pick them up. I think his prices are a little high, so just make sure you do your homework. My guess is used inventory may be low until early next spring.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Traveling a long distance to find a CC is not unusual since you can't order a new one. Luckily OR is a "hotbed" of dealers with CC's just waiting for the right person to find them. Mine was sold in FL and ended up back in JC at Premiere RV where we bought it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Pre 2001 have a solid front axle and don't have as tight a turning radius as the independent front suspension.
hmmm... this certainly is incorrect. mine is a 2000 and it does have ifs. i believe ifs started in 2000.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 PM   #26

I'm pretty sure 1999 was the last year of the solid front end. We love our front beam axle, just wish it had a sharper wheel-cut.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags