Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2023, 06:26 AM   #1

New owner question

Hello. I am picking up our coach Thursday. It is a 2000 INTRIGUE 36 foot. We are excited beyond belief. Never thought we would have something this nice and are looking forward to vacations in it. It does have a problem the owner told me about. The coach Air conditioner doesn’t work. He said they just run the generator going down the road and use the roof air. I am okay with that but would like to get the other fixed anyway. I don’t know if an RV repair shop or diesel shop is the one to take it to. Any suggestions on where to take it. We live on the Arkansas/Oklahoma border right near Fort Smith.
PunknDarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2023, 06:36 AM   #2

On a coach of that age you could run into a lot of expense. I would not take it to an rv shop. Any good automotive ac shop could do it. Parts for those systems are a bit hard to find. Most likely the manufacturer of the system is no longer in business. Try to find the ac manufacturer and post it on here so we can help.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Chassis AC is a common problem on DP's.

It could be a simple as low charge, or something more serious.

When I bought out 2002 Monaco in 2008 the AC didn't work so I bought a can of refrigerant and added it the system and it took right off. That lasted until 2020, by then I had a set of gauges and charged it again. So if I can get by on an occasional charge I'm good.

But if you have a major leak it will have to be repaired.

The reality is that if you travel in hot weather the dash AC may not be able to keep up anyway. We travel with dogs that are crated so they need cool air so we run the roof AC's as needed.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:42 AM   #4

AC

On our 2000 class A the dash AC worked when I bought it but before the first summer was over it wasn't putting out cold air. I bought a recharge kit and charged it up and it worked fine for 5 years , it needed another recharge which I did and that worked fine.
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply’s. The owner said he had it fixed some years ago and it quit again so they run the roof air. I think he said he paid about $1000 to fix it.
PunknDarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:37 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Check to see if the compressor is turning when A/C is selected. Check level of freon, Also, on the control, there is a white hose that can be a problem in that it tends to leak. Had that happen on mine, easy fix. A auto refer shop can use a sniffer to check for leaks, don't go to a dealer.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #7

Dash AC does not work

Ours did not work when it was about 10 years old.

I read online then that folks were spending @ $1500 to $2000 to replace the compressor and recharge. The compressor was supposedly hard to find.

I learned that I could buy a new compressor from BuyAutoParts.com that met the model number on the old compressor for $200. Mounting the Compressor is a two bolt event after moving the inlet and outlet hoses to the new Compressor connectors

Of course, you will empty the lines and admit humid air into the system doing the change. Water in AC lines is not good.

So you will need a new $30 Air Dryer also. When the system is ready for recharge you can then go to a commercial AC shop for vacuum of the system and adding the refrigerant or do it yourself.

I borrow Vacuum gauges from Auto Zone at no cost to do the deed.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDarla View Post
Hello. I am picking up our coach Thursday. It is a 2000 INTRIGUE 36 foot. We are excited beyond belief. Never thought we would have something this nice and are looking forward to vacations in it. It does have a problem the owner told me about. The coach Air conditioner doesn’t work. He said they just run the generator going down the road and use the roof air. I am okay with that but would like to get the other fixed anyway. I don’t know if an RV repair shop or diesel shop is the one to take it to. Any suggestions on where to take it. We live on the Arkansas/Oklahoma border right near Fort Smith.
Congratulations on your purchase. My wife and I have a 2000 CC 36' intrigue single slide as well. I just finished rebuilding the dash A/C system.

I had multiple leaking o-rings, and a catastrophic internal failure of the dryer that sent desiccant clear to the evaporator at the front of the coach and clogged the expansion valve, causing it to stick closed. I also experienced a clutch failure on the compressor. Needless to say, I didn't need to have the system refrigerant evacuated as it had long since escaped due to the leaks. NOT GOOD FOR THE PLANET, but how was I to know?

After removing the dryer and compressor, I flushed the high side line in both directions (using a pressurized flush container I purchased from Amazon) twice using de-natured alcohol and once using acetone (careful with the acetone, it will remove paint in short order). I was able to locate parts via the internet for everything except the Parker-Hannifin expansion valve. This included a new (NEVER USE A REBUILT) compressor, dryer and trinary pressure switch.

So, I replaced all 9 o-rings (high side and low side at the compressor, dryer, pressure switch, condenser and evaporator) available at your local auto parts store, disassembled the thermal expansion valve and thoroughly cleaned it with wax and grease remover, installed the new parts, vacuumed the system to -30 inches of vacuum for 2 hours and let it sit over night to check for leaks. It held vacuum for the full 24 hours, so I added 5lbs of r134a refrigerant and, voila...the system worked perfectly. 48 degree air on a 85 degree Florida day.

I know this is a long STORY, but the work is not difficult (although you will have to drive the front of the coach up onto some ramps to work the evaporator portion). It is time consuming and does require thorough working knowledge of the A/C system and it's various components. You would also need access to a set of gauges, a vacuum pump and compressed air.

I estimate that I have about 40 hours in the repair, including my helper's (dear wife) time. At today's shop rates and materials markups, I can easily see $5,000.00 for a repair of this nature. If you are only low on refrigerant, it will be a completely different scenario and your cost should not exceed $500.00. Much less if you are capable of doing the repairs yourself.

Like others, I would recommend a local to you automotive repair shop or, even better, a shop that specializes in A/C repairs. They should be able to diagnose the failure and recommend a proper repair.

I am fortunate in that I own all of the required tools collected over years of custom car building. I have heard tell that to own one of these land yachts a guy should be handy or flush with money. Maybe both! Either way, I would avoid RV repair shops (excepting a few in Junction City, OR) at almost all cost.

Still, it is, by far the best way to travel this great land. Again, congratulations on your purchase and do not be afraid of the maintenance (and IMHO, don't defer maintenance) the 2000 model year Intrigue systems are relatively simple...you know, if your idea of simple is, say, a 50's Chevy vs just about any new car! CC made some of the best affordable coaches ever to hit the road and your 2000 Intrigue definitely falls into the sweet spot of the production run.
RDJackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
AC improvement

we had a relay replaced at a regular autoshop. as we thought about it we made a full height curtain and put up a shower rod right behind the seats so we were conditioning a smaller space. It worked well
vantango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new owner